Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: oldest thing you remembered from the first time  (Read 9653 times)

Jay Temple

oldest thing you remembered from the first time
« on: January 27, 2013, 04:37:30 PM »

Sorry, there\'s no concise way to ask this.

What\'s the earliest specific scene or episode of a game show that you remember watching in its original run and saw again in more recent times, whether on GSN, a tape trade, etc.?

The oldest thing I\'m sure of is the final CBS episode of The Joker\'s Wild. I sat in front of the TV that morning in 1975, and later someone either here or at the GSN board showed me a like to it.

Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 04:56:18 PM »

More specific than something like \"the \'1\'s on the Star Wheel were center-justified\" or \"Treasure Hunt existed in 1982\", I remember seeing Alice winning the lot and wondering why she was showered with cash and stuff for reaching the score of 115.

Travis L. Eberle

J.R.

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 05:51:26 PM »

Combs Feud.

-Joe Raygor

Bryce L.

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 06:07:53 PM »

The Price is Right\'s 25th Anniversary Special

Winkfan

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 06:09:34 PM »
To answer this question: you might want to go here for starters. I, especially, recall shows #1 and 2.

Then, excluding premieres or finales, there were those times when certain shows became The Adventures of (Insert contestant's name). For example:

Match Game '7X: Carol Ware, Dee Davenport, Janet Finn (and that's just 1974!)*
Blockbusters: John Hatten, LaRae Dillman, Liz & Pat McCarthy*
Card Sharks: Milena (Can't spell her last name)
Jeopardy: Chuck Forrest, Leah Greenwald (from the 1980's)*
Tic Tac Dough: Thom McKee (naturally), Kit Salsbury*
Bullseye:Donna Burke*

I just now remembered the IGaS/TTTT panels pulling their "switcharoo" back in 1965; but then, I was only a toddler at the time.

There are others I can recall, but you get the idea.

Cordially,
Tammy

P.S. (*among other contestants)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 05:13:06 PM by Winkfan »
In Loving Memory: Dolores "Roxanne" Rosedale (1929-2024) & Peter Marshall (1926-2024)

SuperMatch93

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 06:52:14 PM »

The other day, I saw an episode of Where in Time is Carmen Sandiego about the Magna Carta that I could have sworn I saw when it originally aired. I feel like I have a vague memory from when I was 3 of the villains and the winning contestant.

-William https://cookcounty.biz
https://www.donorschoose.org/classroom/cpsbermudez
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 07:01:42 PM »

One of the earliest things I remember, period, is watching Scrabble with my mom around age 3, then several other shows (Tic Tac 90, LMAD90, PYL, Wipeout, Card Sharks) with my grandma. All I remember from any of these are that LMAD had \"Behind these ever-changing doors\" in the intro; Wipeout came on either before or after Jake and the Fatman; and PYL\'s logo reminded me of Bekins Van Lines, since grandma lived only a block from one of their garages.

But the earliest things I remember seeing, then re-seeing, would be from Wheel in 1992. The earliest days of the Surprise wedge, when it had a different font (I think I once remarked that the pink reminded me of TaB cans). The lady who called C D Z O to thwart the tough bonus puzzle ZOO. A Soap Opera College Challenge episode where the puzzle SQUID\'S SQUIRT took an eternity to solve, and the bonus round was FOG HORN [sic] on the very top row. The episode where the puzzle VANNA\'S PREGNANT was replaced with a three-minute spiel on San Francisco.

Bobby Peacock

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 08:48:14 PM »

Wow. Took four posts to turn \"one specific\" into a laundry list. That\'s impressive even for here.

Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

irwinsjournal.com

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 10:03:40 PM »

I\'m going to guess that it was an episode of Concentration with Hugh Downs as host.  Not that specific, but it\'s only one item...

« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 10:04:11 PM by irwinsjournal.com »
George in Ellison Park, NY

irwinsjournal.com

BrandonFG

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2013, 10:13:22 PM »

The thing is, I have plenty of early memories, but nothing specific enough to where I saw it years later and said \"I remember that moment!\" Off the top of my head, I\'ve mentioned before that the Tune Topics board from Lange\'s Name That Tune is something I remember watching with my great-grandmother, so I guess I could say it was cool to see that in USA reruns a few years later? But then again, I could say the same thing with Press Your Luck or Pyramid...

Fun question, but other than that, I got nothing.

"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2013, 10:36:58 PM »
Sometime in the early \'90s, I saw an episode of TPIR where Bob kept using different adjectives to describe Dian (go ahead, make your own jokes) because \"she told me she\'s tired of being \'the lovely Dian\' all the time.\" I don\'t know why that memory stood out, but it did, and I distinctly remembered it happening several times during Hit Me.

Fast-forward about 15 years. A friend of mine had sent me some tapes with the \'86 Specials on them, and he\'d filled the remaining space with a few random daytime shows. I turn one of them on, and lo and behold, Bob starts this story about finding different ways to describe Dian. I thought, \"This can\'t be the same show. If Hit Me shows up on here, I\'ll shit.\" Sure enough, it was the sixth game.

It\'s kind of neat to not remember a single thing about an episode\'s gameplay and yet know for a fact that you\'ve watched it before.

pyrfan

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 12:48:28 AM »

The first specific episode of the original \"Hollywood Squares\" that I can vividly remember was from the nighttime syndie run. It would have been smack dab in the mid-\'70s. I distinctly recalled that when they came back from the first commercial, the male contestant picked Florence Henderson, who was the Secret Square, and that later in the show, the same contestant picked the next Secret Square, who was Elizabeth Montgomery. That was one of the episodes that GSN aired in 2002, and it was great to see it again. I swear that whenever I see it now, I\'m briefly transported back to my parents\' living room and I can see the old couch and the old TV set.

Great question, Mr. Temple!

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013, 01:44:47 AM »

Several things for me. I have dim memories of seeing Charlie Van Doren sweating it out with his handkerchief in the isolation booth. I remember a creepy Tic Tac Dough contestant who wore an eyepatch (Martin Dowd), and daytime TTD being hosted by guys other than Jack Barry. I remember Play Your Hunch going from Merv to Gene Rayburn and then to Robert Q. Lewis. I remember Say When!! and People Will Talk but have not seen them in decades.

I never got to see much WML? hosted by John Charles Daly at 10:30 pm Sunday nights, and am just now discovering that show decades later on the Tube of You.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 01:45:27 AM by chris319 »

DrBear

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 01:49:45 AM »

The big \"chuck-a-luck\" dice cage from Video Village.

This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

DaneFromKansas

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2013, 09:37:50 AM »

I have a vague memory of the opening to \"Body Language\", and then seeing the show on GSN as an adult, and being shocked that it wasn\'t something I made up in my head.  Aside from that, I distinctly remember running scared to my mother from the distinctive Penny Ante sound effect.