Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Password Plus Announcer Question  (Read 4972 times)

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Password Plus Announcer Question
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2003, 02:10:45 PM »
We never used "sub-announcers" at G-T, we used substitute announcers. When used as a prefix, "sub-" means subordinate. Quoting the American Heritage dictionary:

sub-
pref.
1. Below; under; beneath: subsoil.
    a.  Subordinate; secondary: subplot.

Rich was Allen Ludden's, then Tom Kennedy's, rehearsal stand-in on P+. He was pretty darn good at running the game but lacked the pipes to fill in on the air in Allen's absence. When he expressed an interest in announcing I suggested that he get some formal voice training, but we parted company before he developed his infamous "Bullwinkle" sound. At the time he worked for the NABET film local with offices at 6430 Sunset Boulevard.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2003, 02:12:19 PM by chris319 »

uncamark

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2003, 04:55:23 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Dec 21 2003, 07:35 AM\'][quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Dec 21 2003, 02:44 AM\'] And for 25 points, what was Rich Jeffries "real" job before Gene Wood helped to groom him for announcing?

Answer tomorrow   ;-)

Randy
tvrandywest.com [/quote]
Randy W. will know for sure, but wasn't Rich Jeffries' name(assuming it is the same guy) in the credits for the Blank Check pilot on the trading circuit?[/quote]
The guy who co-created "Blank Check" (in its original 1957 incarnation as "ESP") was Rich *Jefferies,* I believe.  A *very* common alternate spelling of "Jeffries"--and I should know.  :)

"ESP" ran in prime time on ABC with Vincent Price hosting and was basically contestants guessing which cards other contestants were picking--there were no numbers or quiz questions involved.  I recall reading that it was a show with a dark set, spooky lighting, eerie music, that sort of thing.  The show tanked and the game was dumped after the first few weeks--the show became an anthology drama about people using ESP in various situations for the rest of its 13 weeks, with Price remaining the host.

Don Howard

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2003, 12:11:38 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Dec 20 2003, 11:29 PM\'] Only Rich Jeffreys and Gene Wood ever did SP. [/quote]
 Sorry, Zach. Gotta correct you on this one. Bob Hilton did at least a week of Super Password guest announcing. I've got such an episode on tape.

zachhoran

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2003, 07:12:40 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Dec 30 2003, 12:11 PM\'] [quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Dec 20 2003, 11:29 PM\'] Only Rich Jeffreys and Gene Wood ever did SP. [/quote]
Sorry, Zach. Gotta correct you on this one. Bob Hilton did at least a week of Super Password guest announcing. I've got such an episode on tape. [/quote]
 I've never heard about this one, so I'll take your word for it.