Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPIR Announce Question (for Randy?)  (Read 7040 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
TPIR Announce Question (for Randy?)
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2003, 03:33:28 PM »
[quote name=\'JayC\' date=\'Dec 24 2003, 11:38 AM\'] I asked a DJ at a school dance once why he wore headphones, and he said it was to drown out the sound to a level in which he would want to hear it.  That's where I got the DJ thing from. [/quote]
 Good. You're still wrong.

1) A club/dance jock and a radio jock are two different things.

2) He prolly told you that because he didn't want to get into a big discussion with you about cue channels and the like. How do you think they hear what they're cueing up so they can mix from one song to the next while keeping the beat constant?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jay Temple

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2003, 12:37:29 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Dec 24 2003, 02:29 AM\'] Every TV announcer uses headphones; you must have them for cues. Johnny used a single handheld "Brush Clevite" style (old radio folks know what that is) which he held to his ear to get cues. [/quote]
 Is this the kind that Gary Owens was always pictured holding on Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In?
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

DrBear

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2003, 12:51:48 PM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' date=\'Dec 26 2003, 12:37 PM\']
Is this the kind that Gary Owens was always pictured holding on Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In? [/quote]
 No, cuz Gary just held his hand to his ear. Try Walter Cronkite on "You Are There."
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2003, 04:07:07 PM »
What happened to Chris the audio guy? He was the one responsible for Bob's Neumann mic.

tvrandywest

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2003, 05:46:17 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Dec 26 2003, 01:07 PM\']What happened to Chris the audio guy? He was the one responsible for Bob's Neumann mic.[/quote]
There was a, um, ah, difference of opinion. He was released from the show. The mike has been passed to Dirk and the continuing members of the audio department. Rest easy during the holiday season, it is in good hands.    ;-)

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: December 26, 2003, 05:47:20 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

TimK2003

« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2003, 10:04:19 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Dec 23 2003, 10:32 PM\']
No, that is not why DJ's wear headsets. DJ's wear headsets because the monitor speakers in the studio can't be on (and in fact, are automatically muted) at the same time the mic is live, or else you would get feedback. Therefore, the jock wears headsets so he can still hear what the hell he's doing with the mixing board while the mic is live and the monitors are off.
 [/quote]
 One of the other reasons why DJ's wear headphones, at least at my radio station back in the days (1980s), was to hear the radio station as everyone else heard it over their radios.

In other words, if a storm knocked out power at the transmitter, we would only know about it if we had the headphones or a standard AM radio on.

Otherwise we could be doing our entire 4 hour program and the only one who would hear it was the person(s) in the studio.  

And then there was the night when a rare February thunderstorm took a direct hit on our overnight programming satellite.  I got to do 2 weeks of nearly commercial free, all request (mostly by me) music shows.   Ahhhh....Those were the days, my friends...

tommycharles

« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2003, 11:44:21 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' date=\'Dec 26 2003, 10:04 PM\']
In other words, if a storm knocked out power at the transmitter, we would only know about it if we had the headphones or a standard AM radio on.
 [/quote]
 But you didn't have an AM radio on at the time, did you? Because then some of it would undoubtedly leak into a mike and you'd get that annoying effect when people call the radio station and get on the air while sitting next to their radio...

cmjb13

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2003, 05:52:43 PM »
[quote name=\'JayC\' date=\'Dec 23 2003, 10:23 PM\']I wonder if Burton reads the board also, it would be funny to see how jealous he is.[/quote]
On the contrary.

I think people would be kissing his backside.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Don Howard

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2003, 07:52:05 PM »
Any idea if Bob Hilton's gonna get a shot at the announcer's gig? Randy? cmjb13?

uncamark

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2003, 08:04:18 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Dec 27 2003, 07:52 PM\']Any idea if Bob Hilton's gonna get a shot at the announcer's gig? Randy? cmjb13?[/quote]
Seems to me that Bob is enjoying semi-retirement up north in California and being with his kids more--I don't think that he would want to make the weekly commute down to LA and be away from his family four days a week.

Besides, there's only *one* Bob on "TPIR"--and said Bob no doubt wants to keep it that way.  :)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2003, 08:20:01 PM by uncamark »

cmjb13

« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2003, 08:06:57 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Dec 27 2003, 07:52 PM\'] Any idea if Bob Hilton's gonna get a shot at the announcer's gig? [/quote]
 Probably not.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

zachhoran

« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2003, 08:13:11 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Dec 27 2003, 08:06 PM\'] [quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Dec 27 2003, 07:52 PM\'] Any idea if Bob Hilton's gonna get a shot at the announcer's gig? [/quote]
Probably not. [/quote]
 He'd certainly kick ass on TPIR, next to Randy, probably the next-best candidate for the gig. But, besides the reason Mark J. mentions in this thread, he's about 60 years old and Fremangle would want someone younger who has been heard on television more recently, which Randy and Burton have.