Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Shows and the DeLorean  (Read 6665 times)

JepMasta

Game Shows and the DeLorean
« on: June 04, 2013, 04:44:53 PM »
Hey guys. Me and some friends were talking at work yesterday and the conversation turned to my favorite car, The DeLorean DMC-12. I got to wondering. Do you know if the DeLorean was ever offered as a prize on a game show?

I know one if it\'s inspirations the Bricklin SV-1 was offered once on LMaD in the 1970s, but if any of you know if it was I would greatly appreciate it

Thanks

Brian~

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 04:53:09 PM »
I think it was part of a home viewer showcase on TPIR in the mid 1980s.

Not a game show, but the story is too cool to keep to myself. Ernest Cline used the advance money he got from writing Ready Player One and bought two DeLoreans. One he kept for himself and the other he agave away in a contest that was embedded in hard copies of his book; the winner of the car was the first person to set a new world record on a arcade game from a prescribed list.

Perhaps an interesting side question; how many game shows exist where giving away a DeLorean in natural play wouldn\'t blow out the budget.
If you didn’t create it, it isn’t your content.

JepMasta

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 04:56:34 PM »
Well, when it was launched its sticker price was $25,000 so maybe

catnap1972

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 04:57:55 PM »

Keep in mind the Delorean isn\'t a multi-million dollar collector car (probably mid 5 figures at best for a nice one) so certainly doable for something like TPIR (especially in a PG where it\'s not likely it\'ll be given away anyway)

JepMasta

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 05:00:47 PM »
Yeah, they still make them using leftover parts by hand, I think they retail for around $50K

BrandonFG

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 05:12:42 PM »

Well, when it was launched its sticker price was $25,000 so maybe

Hmmm...the first few years of Perry\'s Sale of the Century. Maybe part of the prize package offered on either Name That Tune or during the $1M Chance of a Lifetime\'s second season.

"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

weaklink75

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 06:01:04 PM »

Yep- TPIR gave one away in 1981 during one of their home viewer contests..here\'s the clip showing it from the ep where the winner was announced..

(SoTC started too late- they only made DeLoreans in 81 and 82).

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 12:32:46 PM »

Great clip, thanks for sharing. First time I\'ve seen that. Further proof editing must have been invented in 1993 or something.

-Jason

Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

JMFabiano

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 06:41:48 PM »

Yep- TPIR gave one away in 1981 during one of their home viewer contests..here\'s the clip showing it from the ep where the winner was announced..

(SoTC started too late- they only made DeLoreans in 81 and 82).

Hmmmm....if they found one, they could have used it to go back 1-2 years and get more. 

/Provided it has a flux capacitor.

I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

JepMasta

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 11:21:43 PM »

And also provided that the Flux Capacitor can produce the 1.21 Gigawatts of power

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2013, 12:42:33 AM »
But once the thing reaches 88 miles an hour...
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

JMFabiano

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2013, 06:55:53 PM »

But once the thing reaches 88 miles an hour...

...you\'re gonna see some serious (BLANK).

I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

That Don Guy

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2013, 05:03:58 PM »

Great clip, thanks for sharing. First time I\'ve seen that. Further proof editing must have been invented in 1993 or something.

I\'m surprised GSN aired it.  They used to skip the segments with the Home Viewer Showcases, although, IIRC, except for when the showcase was first announced, they didn\'t go into any details about the prizes - it was mainly Johnny discussing the rules - so there wasn\'t really a need to show most of them.

(One detail I do remember: the DeLorean\'s price was \"FOB Port of Entry\".  Presumably, that means that the price includes the shipping cost from where it arrived in the USA to where it was stored, which they didn\'t bother to mention.)

trainman

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2013, 12:33:14 AM »

(One detail I do remember: the DeLorean\'s price was \"FOB Port of Entry\".  Presumably, that means that the price includes the shipping cost from where it arrived in the USA to where it was stored, which they didn\'t bother to mention.)

Nope, that basically means the price only includes shipping to where it arrived into the U.S. -- the buyer/winner would be responsible for it from that point on (either driving it from there, or paying to have it shipped). For more info, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FOB_(shipping)/\'>this Wikipedia article.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 12:33:43 AM by trainman »
trainman is a man of trains

That Don Guy

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2013, 12:05:53 PM »

Nope, that basically means the price only includes shipping to where it arrived into the U.S. -- the buyer/winner would be responsible for it from that point on (either driving it from there, or paying to have it shipped). For more info, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FOB_(shipping)/\'>this Wikipedia article.

Then they still have the problem of having to guess the shipping cost from where it was made (Northern Ireland?) to where it arrived in the USA.