Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Mark Goodson question  (Read 5521 times)

tvrandywest

Mark Goodson question
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2003, 02:54:10 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Dec 24 2003, 07:25 PM\'] Whether Combs continued doing warm-up for Carson and hosting FF simultaneously, I don't know. [/quote]
Ray did not host FF and do warm-up for Carson simultaneously. The warm-up gigs at sitcoms and "Tonight" definitely preceeded his landing "Feud". It's obviously been a few years since Ray and I had the conversation, and I can't remember whether he said his stand-up appearance or his warm-up work came first at "Tonight".

Sitcom tapings are usually quite tedious for the audience, and for the warm-up talent despite the fact that they pay well. Tapings/filmings can run for 4 or 5 hours or longer, and by the third take the show's jokes wear thin. In addition the set up of the sound stages usually has the audience further from the action than at game shows, in raised bleachers, which makes keeping their interest even tougher. Ray was really gifted; he did the best work I ever saw at a sitcom. While just a minor recurring bit, I'll never forget some of the great lines he had as he would point out different crew members and divulge for the audience what their "job" was on the show.

Imho... a tortured genius. RIP.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: December 25, 2003, 02:55:56 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

tommycharles

Mark Goodson question
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2003, 03:56:46 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Dec 25 2003, 02:54 PM\'] [quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Dec 24 2003, 07:25 PM\'] Whether Combs continued doing warm-up for Carson and hosting FF simultaneously, I don't know. [/quote]
Ray did not host FF and do warm-up for Carson simultaneously. The warm-up gigs at sitcoms and "Tonight" definitely preceeded his landing "Feud". [/quote]
 Ah. Maybe Ed's memory's a little shaky, then ;-)

Before someone asks me how I got that information in the first place, read "For Laughing Out Loud" - he mentions that he passed off the warm up for the last 3 years of production.

tvrandywest

Mark Goodson question
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2003, 05:54:41 PM »
Let's see...

"Amen" was 1986 - 1991. I don't know which years Ray did warm-up.

Carson's last "Tonight" was 5/21/92

When did Combs start on Feud? I believe it was around 1992, in which case it all makes sense. Even McMahon's recollection fits, I think.

Other dates that may or may not help...

Ray's car accident was in 1994

Ray and I talked about all this at "Family Challenge" - I was next door on "Wild Animal Games" in 1995, and I worked Ray's last FC episode which taped 11/8/95. We talked again at Oakwood Apartments just days before his death in 1996 (June, I think).

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Mark Goodson question
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2003, 06:05:09 PM »
Didn't Ray start FF around 1988? I remember being in studio 33 as it was starting up.

zachhoran

Mark Goodson question
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2003, 06:11:09 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Dec 25 2003, 06:05 PM\'] Didn't Ray start FF around 1988? I remember being in studio 33 as it was starting up. [/quote]
 Combs did start his Feud gig in mid-1988 on CBS, shortly after in syndication.

tvrandywest

Mark Goodson question
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2003, 07:02:42 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Dec 25 2003, 03:11 PM\'][quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Dec 25 2003, 06:05 PM\'] Didn't Ray start FF around 1988? I remember being in studio 33 as it was starting up. [/quote]
Combs did start his Feud gig in mid-1988 on CBS, shortly after in syndication.[/quote]
Too many painkillers for Ray in telling the story? Too many Budweisers for Ed in estimating when he quit warm-up? Too much egg nog for me today? You make the call!

Randy
tvrandywest.com

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Mark Goodson question
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2003, 08:09:23 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Dec 25 2003, 06:02 PM\'] [quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Dec 25 2003, 03:11 PM\'][quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Dec 25 2003, 06:05 PM\'] Didn't Ray start FF around 1988? I remember being in studio 33 as it was starting up. [/quote]
Combs did start his Feud gig in mid-1988 on CBS, shortly after in syndication.[/quote]
Too many painkillers for Ray in telling the story? Too many Budweisers for Ed in estimating when he quit warm-up? Too much egg nog for me today? You make the call!

Randy
tvrandywest.com [/quote]
 I'd rule the eggnog out, at least for now.

Since Carson's website details that Combs announced in a 7/87 episode of THE TONIGHT SHOW that he was to be the new host of FF (which as Chris C. and Zach pointed out started in 1988--7/4/88 to be exact), and also given that Peter Marshall had some memory blocks in his memoir 20some years after the fact (saying that WoF was in the midst of their wrap party when they and HSq were cancelled to make room for David Letterman's morning show, then that WoF was resurrected when Letterman got a half hour trimmed--when in fact WoF was never stripped in favor of Dave to begin with), I'd say McMahon was a little hazy with his details.  So that would be my vote.  Your mileage may vary.

Doug -- celebrating 250 posts (and 341 edits)
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

PPatters

Mark Goodson question
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2003, 10:35:47 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Dec 25 2003, 02:54 PM\'] [quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Dec 24 2003, 07:25 PM\'] Whether Combs continued doing warm-up for Carson and hosting FF simultaneously, I don't know. [/quote]
Ray did not host FF and do warm-up for Carson simultaneously. The warm-up gigs at sitcoms and "Tonight" definitely preceeded his landing "Feud". It's obviously been a few years since Ray and I had the conversation, and I can't remember whether he said his stand-up appearance or his warm-up work came first at "Tonight".

Sitcom tapings are usually quite tedious for the audience, and for the warm-up talent despite the fact that they pay well. Tapings/filmings can run for 4 or 5 hours or longer, and by the third take the show's jokes wear thin. In addition the set up of the sound stages usually has the audience further from the action than at game shows, in raised bleachers, which makes keeping their interest even tougher. Ray was really gifted; he did the best work I ever saw at a sitcom. While just a minor recurring bit, I'll never forget some of the great lines he had as he would point out different crew members and divulge for the audience what their "job" was on the show.

Imho... a tortured genius. RIP.

Randy
tvrandywest.com [/quote]
 Do you know what I just realized? Randy West and Ray Combs are the same person!
Patrick

yo-11-yo

Mark Goodson question
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2003, 01:23:49 PM »
Do you know what I just realized? Randy West and Ray Combs are the same person!

That's not funny.

GSFan

Mark Goodson question
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2003, 01:10:49 AM »
A little correction, Randy.  Carson's last Tonight was 5/22/92.  On 5/21, Bette Midler secured herself an Emmy.  What a fabulous performance that was!

David
March 26, 2023 - 50 years of Pyramid!

MyCapableAssistant

Mark Goodson question
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2003, 05:46:17 AM »
Hey guys...

Thanks for the discussion about Ray!! I had NO idea he did
warm-up for CARSON! I thought the E! THS said he only appeared
as a **guest??**

The date to which Randy was referring was June 2, 1996.

Thanks also to Doug and Randy for detailing and recalling old memories!
I never get tired of hearing about Ray.