Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: I gotta get something off my chest here.  (Read 5162 times)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
I gotta get something off my chest here.
« on: July 30, 2013, 02:53:20 AM »
So I\'m on the Tube earlier and I find about as clean and complete a cut of the outro theme Bill Conti composed for American Gladiators and which was used in seasons 4 and 5.

In the description the YouTuber took a shot at the TVPMM, saying \"screw you\" and taking shots at Terry for charging money. His exact words were, \"whatever happened to preserving music instead of screwing out the general public\"?

Now I\'d like to go on record by saying I\'m not a fan of Terry\'s rates and think he should offer a month to month deal. But even if you don\'t agree with the method in which he conducts his site (FTR I also have a hard time buying all his money coming in goes to rights purchasing and site hosting but will also concede I have little knowledge about how much things of that manner cost)...

isn\'t preserving music exactly what the TVPMM is doing? And is this person barking up the wrong tree?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

jmangin

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 08:45:33 AM »

There are costs associated with building, hosting and maintaining the website, and additional costs for sourcing and licensing the music.

Outside of signing-up when material is added, canceling and re-signing-up when additional new material is added, why is a month-to-month membership necessary? A six-month membership at $25 or $50 for a year is within reason for the amount of content provided and the target niche market.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 09:17:18 AM by jmangin »

NickS

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 10:05:47 AM »

Said poster\'s barking up the wrong forest.  Performance rights aren\'t free, nor are they cheap.  $4 and some change every month is a drop in the bucket, IMO.

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 10:24:03 AM »
Yeah, sorry, I don\'t see where a significant profit is being made on this past compensation for the time and labor and hosting.  If the youtuber wants to shout at the people who set the licensing fees (and then gives next to nothing, if that, to the owners of the music), that\'s fair game.  Terry is just trying to work within the rules of the game as written.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 11:23:09 AM »

In the description the YouTuber took a shot at the TVPMM, saying \"screw you\" and taking shots at Terry for charging money. His exact words were, \"whatever happened to preserving music instead of screwing out the general public\"?

I made the tactical error the other day of reading the comments in an article about something or another pertaining to Windows Phone, and some assjack from somewhere in Europe was bitching and moaning that all apps weren\'t free.

One of the bad things the Internet has done is create a MASSIVE sense of entitlement.

Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 11:56:06 AM »

Now I\'d like to go on record by saying I\'m not a f

Why should Terry have to collect $4.16 every month, tally and account for that when he can collect $25 every six months? The business is his, he should be able to do as he pleases.

As to the side of where his money goes, have you asked him? Whenever I give to a charity I ask to see the pie chart of \"where donated money goes\". If the fraction that goes to Not Solving the Problem is too big, guess what? I don\'t give to that charity.
Travis L. Eberle

dazztardly

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 12:01:14 PM »

I\'m reading the description of the video... Everything that\'s been said in this thread essentially sums up why this guy is a moron for whining. What does he expect? Plus, when you also consider the piracy issues that are rampant on the internet, and how much money the entertainment industry has lost because of it. It\'s already a bitch of a time, just trying to get shows on the air. 

clemon79

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 12:16:12 PM »

Why should Terry have to collect $4.16 every month, tally and account for that when he can collect $25 every six months? The business is his, he should be able to do as he pleases.

Nobody is disputing that, and by the same token Mr. Palmer is well within his rights to prefer there be monthly access and say so. (And more likely Terry would wound it up to an even $5 to incent purchase of the longer plans.)

guess what? I don\'t give to that charity.

Which also sounds like exactly what Mr. Palmer is doing. If he was complaining while still ponying up his $25 that would be one thing, but it sounds like voting with his wallet is exactly what\'s happening here.

clemon79

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 12:19:25 PM »

and how much money the entertainment industry has lost because of it

And how much money would you say they have lost because they are clinging desperately to an antiquated business model? Pinning it entirely on one side is unfair.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2013, 12:47:48 PM »
Chris P.: Under what circumstances would you purchase a membership? (As in at what rate and what frequency of payment) What percentage of the money do you think Terry should be able to keep as compensation for doing the project?
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2013, 01:48:47 PM »

why is a month-to-month membership necessary?

There are some very good technical reasons why a month-to-month membership isn\'t offered, but if those issues were surmounted, it\'s necessary because it\'s good business - $5 or $6 a month is easier for some people to swallow if they are living paycheck to paycheck than $25 in one chunk.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2013, 03:42:27 PM »

Plus, when you also consider the piracy issues that are rampant on the internet, and how much money the entertainment industry has lost because of it.

IIRC you\'ve posted some videos of shows as of late.  That makes you part of the problem as well.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2013, 07:16:05 PM »

Nobody is disputing that, and by the same token Mr. Palmer is well within his rights to prefer there be monthly access and say so. (And more likely Terry would wound it up to an even $5 to incent purchase of the longer plans.)

guess what? I don\'t give to that charity.

Which also sounds like exactly what Mr. Palmer is doing. If he was complaining while still ponying up his $25 that would be one thing, but it sounds like voting with his wallet is exactly what\'s happening here.

Precisely this.

I think too much focus is being put on what I said than the double-sided statement the other person said, which was the point of my post. I only added in what I said in the spirit of full disclosure so certain people here wouldn\'t be tempted to dig into my posting history and cry foul.

To me the six month subscription makes no sense, hence why I proposed a month to month. I figure Terry could get just as much if not more by offering said month to month thing for $5 or $6 or whatever for each month and thus force someone to make a decision as to whether they like the content enough to pony up for the full year and save a few bucks or leave well enough alone and just pay for it when they want to use it. Some of us are in the boat Chris described as living check

to check, what Mr. Mangin didn\'t understand, and we might not have the disposable income to spend the $50 on a subscription.

And Terry\'s obviously entitled to some of the money, Travis. I just think that if he doesn\'t already he should let potential users of the TVPMM know what their dollar goes to and how much of it goes to what. That\'s all.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 07:29:45 PM by PYLdude »
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

clemon79

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2013, 07:28:41 PM »

To me the six month subscription makes no sense, hence why I proposed a month to month.

But you accept the possibility of there being technical reasons for not offering month-to-month subscriptions, yes?

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2013, 07:38:38 PM »
Don\'t take what I said the wrong way, I was not trying to pile on you or snipe or team up against you, Chris P. You brought up some things and I thought they deserved to be delved into, and you\'re right, the \"screw you\" guy is a world class A-hole and should be mocked as such.

What about a 30-day free trial? A month-to-month is a hassle (and if you\'re living check-to-check, you need to set your priorities right) but I figure most people would know within that month if TVPMM is a thing they want to have access to and to support charitably.
Travis L. Eberle