Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show Board Game at the Mall  (Read 8128 times)

thunder27263

Game Show Board Game at the Mall
« on: December 26, 2003, 11:37:59 PM »
Tomorrow, I will at the mall to get The Newlywed Game 2002 Endless Games Edition.

tommycharles

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2003, 11:56:22 PM »
[quote name=\'thunder27263\' date=\'Dec 26 2003, 11:37 PM\'] Tomorrow, I will at the mall to get The Newlywed Game 2002 Endless Games Edition.

[/quote]
 Hmm...to reply or not to reply? I might delete this.

So far tonight you've made 3 posts, one of which had precious little to do with game shows, and all 3 of which make a point to mention Megan Mullally, including an attempt to put a pic of her in your signature that is banned here.

Do you have some kind of obsession? It's not an attack, just a question.

Oh, and for the record, I hope that the game is good. Does anyone know how close it resembles the original show? Was there ever a board game to this before? (Paging Matt...)

T

rugrats1

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2003, 02:27:55 AM »
Was there ever a [Newlywed Game] board game to this before?

Yes there was -- a total of 6 editions by 4 different manufactures between 1967 and 1998, including the aforementioned Endless Games version, which was first released in 1998. See:

http://userdata.acd.net/ottinger/tvgames3/index.html

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2003, 05:29:22 PM »
The Endless version of The Newlywed Game has the crew there again falling back on older material. A customer opened a version at the store, so I checked it out. They use question material from both the 60s Hasbro edition and the later Pressman version. It's humorous that you will get questions making references to older movie stars like Doris Day and Cary Grant - greats that not too many of today's young newlyweds would know about. However, I did gift myself with the new Osmond-covered Pyramid, which finally made it to town. The props duplicate the Cardinal/Endless $25,000 version, but they now use the blue overprint/red plastic reader camouflage on the front game cards. Overall, it's one of their better efforts.

HSquares2003

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2003, 07:48:34 PM »
The Pyramid home game looks pretty decent too. Hopefully we get a CD version out of this one before long.

gameshowguy2000

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2003, 08:28:58 PM »
Speaking of the Pyramid home game, did the current version's home game replace the Endless $25K home game or not? I've been to Endless's website, and it has info on the current version's home game, but none on the one that preceded it.

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2003, 11:51:41 PM »
For what it's worth, at Toys R Us, we red tagged our remaining copies of Endless' $25K toward the end of last summer- indicating either the product is no longer being supported by the manufacturer or isn't selling well and the chain is dropping it. I'd lean toward the former. It doesn't seem logical to maintain the $25K in the Endless library when you have the improved version available. The new version has recent material from the program producers, where the $25K was a copy of the Cardinal version.

gameshowguy2000

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2003, 01:00:28 AM »
Well, weren't there times when each show's board game had multiple versions in the stores, say for example, the following shows:

Jeopardy!

1. 25th Anniversary Edition
2. Electronic Jeopardy!

And so on...

Wheel Of Fortune

1. Deluxe
2. The game with video tapes (How in the world did they manage to do that?)

And so on...

zachhoran

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2003, 09:22:52 AM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Dec 29 2003, 01:00 AM\']

Wheel Of Fortune

1. Deluxe
2. The game with video tapes (How in the world did they manage to do that?)

And so on... [/quote]
 Those video tapes went with Mattel's 1988 TV PLay ALong WOF. THe tapes allowed them to play WOF with the Mattel console, and the console allowed people to play along with the syndicated version of the show(all puzzles except the bonus round) from September 1988-September 1990 IIRC. GSN has showed reruns of those two seasons for the last three years, and it was reported that someone managed to use their console to play along with the GSN reruns.

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2003, 10:50:45 AM »
There have been sub-sets of the same product forever in the biz - like Taboo Jr is an offshoot of regular Taboo. Things like Electric Jeopardy, Deluxe Wheel, Taboo Jr and others are called line extensions, and those are logical. They come out when the original product (like both the old Pressman WOF and J! games) are still available and hot. My comment was more along this line: if you were a retailer and ordered Password today from Endless Games, they would probably not send you their first or second edition. You'd get the new 4th edition. If you even wanted copies of the older editions (and the question would be-why? You would look out of step with the stores carrying the new merchandise), they may no longer be available, or you'd have to place a special order. I know warehouses occasionally hang on to older leftover merchandise (we did a radio promotion with Endless recently, and they shipped us a leftover case of $25K instead of the Osmond), but why promote obsolete merchandise? You'll probably still find copies of $25K around through liquidation channels, but I imagine all the attention is being focused on the new Pyramid.

vtown7

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2004, 09:16:58 AM »
There are plenty of $25K editions left at many Toys R Us stores in Canada - the local one has both that and Donnymid on its shelves.

Cheers,

Ryan :)

aaron sica

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2004, 09:56:01 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Dec 29 2003, 09:22 AM\'] Those video tapes went with Mattel's 1988 TV PLay ALong WOF. THe tapes allowed them to play WOF with the Mattel console, and the console allowed people to play along with the syndicated version of the show(all puzzles except the bonus round) from September 1988-September 1990 IIRC. GSN has showed reruns of those two seasons for the last three years, and it was reported that someone managed to use their console to play along with the GSN reruns. [/quote]
 That PlayAlong WOF game was quite a neat device...You could also make up your own puzzles in the game as well.

And as Zach said, you could play along with the show from 1988-1990 - there was a red light on the device - if the red dot and the "wheel" theme started to play, you were then connected to the show and could receive the same puzzle that the contestants saw. Quite a neat game.

Although, I never did get mine to work with the GSN reruns - the red light would come on but the music would never play.

gameshowguy2000

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2004, 04:27:09 PM »
Is it usable now? I'm sure it probably is compatible with all WOF episodes, from Daytime to Nighttime, from First-Run to GSN, to any shows you have on tape to the tapes that come with that game.

BTW, I did a little shopping yesterday, and I found the 3rd AND 4th editions of the Password board game from Endless Games.

Just goes to show that a store can sell a younger version of a board game, too.

aaron sica

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2004, 04:45:53 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Jan 3 2004, 04:27 PM\'] Is it usable now? I'm sure it probably is compatible with all WOF episodes, from Daytime to Nighttime, from First-Run to GSN, to any shows you have on tape to the tapes that come with that game.

[/quote]
 As per the information Zach and I had said, it was only usable on the nighttime shows from 1988-1990. Not any of the daytime shows. It would still work with the play-along tapes and any WOF episodes you taped from that span, but I don't think, as per my findings, it worked with GSN's 1988 WOF reruns.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2004, 05:22:42 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Jan 3 2004, 04:27 PM\'] Is it usable now? I'm sure it probably is compatible with all WOF episodes, from Daytime to Nighttime, from First-Run to GSN, to any shows you have on tape to the tapes that come with that game. [/quote]
 Just to confirm what Aaron posted, the back of my game unit says "Your game may be played with the evening Wheel of Fortune TV show from 8/31/88 through at least 9/1/90."  I tried using the game shortly after 9/1/90 but it didn't work.  I did get the unit to work with a GSN episode a few years back, before GSN started speeding up shows.  Can a "time machine" affect the signal sent to the game unit?  This might explain why the current reruns didn't work for Aaron.

To touch on something else mentioned, even if the aforementioned signal was still being delivered, the game couldn't work with today's shows since the puzzle board on the current shows have one extra space per line, compared with the WoF board 15 years ago.