Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Shows That Aired on New Year's Day  (Read 9497 times)

BrandonFG

Game Shows That Aired on New Year's Day
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2004, 01:48:12 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jan 4 2004, 01:45 PM\'] [quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Jan 3 2004, 08:09 PM\']
And for the next twenty years, contestants ever since have been wagering all but one dollar, even though there is rarely a strategic reason to do that either.

Well, it did pay off for a contestant back in 1993, whose opponents risked it all in Final J! and lost, while he ended up winning w/*$1*. [/quote]
Ask any true Jeopardy fan (there are a bunch of them on Sony's board) and they'll tell you that this guy almost certainly had a better strategic wager to make that would have involved wagering much less than he did.  It's because he wagered badly that he only won one dollar. [/quote]
 I remember seeing his second episode, and how me and friends cracked jokes, but never saw the whole episode. Did he win on his second day?
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

gameshowguy2000

« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2004, 01:56:02 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jan 4 2004, 12:42 PM\'] [quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Jan 4 2004, 02:22 PM\'] So, does this mean that we've been tricked into believing that 2000 was the start of the New Millennium/21st Century? [/quote]
Didn't you already ask this?  

Anyway, if you believe that the year 2000 is the first year of the new century, or the first year of the new millenium, you are wrong.  If you wish to believe that you were "tricked" into believing that, that's really up to you.  As I said before, this does not mean that we were wrong to make a big deal about the arrival of the year 2000. [/quote]
 OK, Now I understand now, Matt. Thanks!

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2004, 03:17:01 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jan 3 2004, 09:49 PM\'] [quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Jan 3 2004, 08:43 PM\'] Matt, I know we were both born the same year during the Eisenhower administration, but now I'm confused as to which decade. [/quote]
We were born in the first year of "the sixties".  The informal naming of decades is a completely different concept and a completely different reckoning of time than the measure of a century.  "The sixties" are simply those years that have a six in the tens place.

In other words, "the nineties" ended in 1999, but the century did not.  Two different things.  People are free to disagree with this concept, but they'd be wrong. [/quote]
 I prefer to say that I was born in the last year of the fifth decade of the 2oth century.  (I may prefer to say that, but would I be right?)
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

uncamark

« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2004, 03:48:46 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jan 3 2004, 05:48 PM\'][quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Jan 3 2004, 05:41 PM\'] So you mean that ALL that talk of 2000 being the FIRST (F-I-R-S-T) year of the New Millennium is WRONG (W-R-O-N-G)? [/quote]
Yes.  (Y-E-S, for whatever reason you're doing that.)[/quote]
Don't you know Lingoese when you see it, Matt?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2004, 03:53:12 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Jan 4 2004, 01:17 PM\'] I prefer to say that I was born in the last year of the fifth decade of the 2oth century.  (I may prefer to say that, but would I be right?) [/quote]
 Assuming you were born in 1950, yes:

Century starts: 1901
First decade therefore runs from: January 1, 1901 to December 31, 1910
FIFTH Decade is therefore: January 1, 1941 to December 31, 1950
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2004, 04:35:08 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 4 2004, 03:53 PM\'] [quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Jan 4 2004, 01:17 PM\'] I prefer to say that I was born in the last year of the fifth decade of the 2oth century.  (I may prefer to say that, but would I be right?) [/quote]
Assuming you were born in 1950, yes:

Century starts: 1901
First decade therefore runs from: January 1, 1901 to December 31, 1910
FIFTH Decade is therefore: January 1, 1941 to December 31, 1950 [/quote]
 No,I was born in '60.  So actually I was born in the last year of the sixth decade.  So the original "Jeopardy!" started in the seventh decade!  I'll stop now.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2004, 08:37:35 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jan 4 2004, 11:25 AM\']"I can see both sides" isn't a third side, it's a cop out[/quote]
I was solely discussing the two following arguments, held in their respective quoted entireties by a tremendous number of people: "2000 is the beginning of the third millennium A.D., it's a nice round number, and we should celebrate 2000 the most for those reasons", and "2001 is the beginning of the third millennium A.D., round numbers mean nothing, and we should celebrate 2001 the most for those reasons". By "taking a third side", I meant that at the time, I tried to encourage said people how they were each one- to two-thirds right. I have no argument with the facts you were sharing--I was merely expanding on the topic a bit.

As for people forgetting it, well, gameshowguy didn't seem to know about it. Not quite enough to qualify a plural, but that was my mistake.

I seemed to see something other than pleasant conversation in your reply, Matt. I don't really think this, of all things, is a topic worth getting riled about.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

zachhoran

« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2004, 08:41:09 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jan 4 2004, 01:48 PM\']

Well, it did pay off for a contestant back in 1993, whose opponents risked it all in Final J! and lost, while he ended up winning w/*$1*. [/QUOTE]
I remember seeing his second episode, and how me and friends cracked jokes, but never saw the whole episode. Did he win on his second day? [/quote]
 yeah, Lt. Col Darryl Scott won $13,401 on his second day, but lost his third game.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2004, 10:49:37 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Jan 4 2004, 09:37 PM\'] I seemed to see something other than pleasant conversation in your reply, Matt. I don't really think this, of all things, is a topic worth getting riled about. [/quote]
 Oh, good heavens no, and I apologize if my fervency suggested otherwise.  Still, there is a factual component that simply isn't open to "sides" no matter how many people might believe otherwise.

Look at it this way:  I bet if you asked a whole lot of people who was the original host of Wheel of Fortune, a whole lot of people would say Pat Sajak.  I can certainly understand why they might think that, but that doesn't make them right.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2004, 02:56:00 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jan 4 2004, 10:49 PM\']Look at it this way:  I bet if you asked a whole lot of people who was the original host of Wheel of Fortune, a whole lot of people would say Pat Sajak.  I can certainly understand why they might think that, but that doesn't make them right.[/quote]
I get you.

(Sajak hosted Wheel????)
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin