Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Question about Bergeron on Squares  (Read 6695 times)

cmjb13

Question about Bergeron on Squares
« on: January 01, 2004, 05:04:14 PM »
Is there any reason why he doesn't wear a suit and tie?

Marshall and Davidson did.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

DrBear

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2004, 05:09:05 PM »
Well, Marshall also wore those sofa-cover tuxedoes and Bergeron doesn't...

I think they're just trying to establish a "loose" atmosphere. About the only folks left who wear coats and ties on TV any more are anchors and politicians.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2004, 05:10:32 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Jan 1 2004, 05:04 PM\'] Is there any reason why he doesn't wear a suit and tie?

Marshall and Davidson did. [/quote]
I know he wore a tie more often in at least the first two seasons. He became more casual around 2000, i.e. the open collars, sweaters, but still wears a tie once in a while.

I think it's just a sign of the times, with the "business casual" look becoming more popular. Kinda like the butterfly collar leisure suits of the 70s :-) Watch Feud and Pyramid for example. Richard and Donny do the casual lookas well.

I think they're just trying to establish a "loose" atmosphere. About the only folks left who wear coats and ties on TV any more are anchors and politicians.

I actually caught one of our local stations anchors with more casual outfits, i.e. leather jackets, open collar suits. For some reason, I think an anchor should maintain a level of professional dress, as opposed to a host.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2004, 05:12:41 PM by fostergray82 »
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

gameshowguy2000

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2004, 05:13:06 PM »
Season 1, every show had him in a suit and tie.

Season 2 had something totally unforgettable:

EVERY Friday was "Casual Friday!"

Seasons 3 and 4 had the same thing as Season 1.

Seasons 5 and 6, well, just a plain ol' jacket under a dress shirt, minus the tie.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2004, 06:54:19 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jan 1 2004, 03:10 PM\'] I think an anchor should maintain a level of professional dress, as opposed to a host. [/quote]
 That's one of the funnier statements I've heard in a long time, because I promise you that 90% of news anchors who are only visible from the waist up through the entirety of their show are either wearing a) jeans, b) sweats, or c) shorts underneath that desk. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

zachhoran

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2004, 07:04:27 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 1 2004, 06:54 PM\']
That's one of the funnier statements I've heard in a long time, because I promise you that 90% of news anchors who are only visible from the waist up through the entirety of their show are either wearing a) jeans, b) sweats, or c) shorts underneath that desk. :) [/quote]
 Obsquares: Didn't Peter Marshall sometimes wear less-than-dressy pants on Squares, as we almost never saw below his waist on air :)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2004, 07:07:48 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jan 1 2004, 05:04 PM\'] Obsquares: Didn't Peter Marshall sometimes wear less-than-dressy pants on Squares, as we almost never saw below his waist on air :) [/quote]
 I WANNA say he stood up once to reveal tennis shorts, but it's just a niggling thought at the back of my head, I have no media or other proof whatsoever with which to back it up. So I could be misremembering and speaking wholly ex rectum.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Kevin Prather

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2004, 07:11:42 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 1 2004, 06:54 PM\'] [quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jan 1 2004, 03:10 PM\'] I think an anchor should maintain a level of professional dress, as opposed to a host. [/quote]
That's one of the funnier statements I've heard in a long time, because I promise you that 90% of news anchors who are only visible from the waist up through the entirety of their show are either wearing a) jeans, b) sweats, or c) shorts underneath that desk. :) [/quote]
 I saw a news blooper where a male news anchor fell back in his chair, and it was revealed that he had NO pants on. Only boxers.

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2004, 07:31:33 AM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'Jan 1 2004, 05:09 PM\']I think they're just trying to establish a "loose" atmosphere. About the only folks left who wear coats and ties on TV any more are anchors and politicians.[/quote]
Sajak, Trebek, Barker . . .
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

BrandonFG

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2004, 02:03:49 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Jan 2 2004, 07:31 AM\'] [quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'Jan 1 2004, 05:09 PM\']I think they're just trying to establish a "loose" atmosphere. About the only folks left who wear coats and ties on TV any more are anchors and politicians.[/quote]
Sajak, Trebek, Barker . . . [/quote]
 And to be honest, I think they'll probably stay that way, mainly because they've all been established in their roles on their respective shows for at least 20 years. I just don't see any of the more "traditional" hosts straying away from "traditional" wardrobes, just to fit into the latest clothing style. I'm honestly curious as to how the viewers would respond if they saw either Barker, Sajak, or Trebek come out in a turtleneck or open collar suit. It would definitely be out of place on a show like Jeopardy.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

uncamark

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2004, 02:22:51 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Jan 2 2004, 07:31 AM\'][quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'Jan 1 2004, 05:09 PM\']I think they're just trying to establish a "loose" atmosphere. About the only folks left who wear coats and ties on TV any more are anchors and politicians.[/quote]
Sajak, Trebek, Barker . . .[/quote]
Regis--both on "WWTBAM" and on "Live!"...

DrBear

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2004, 04:17:36 PM »
Well, I did say ABOUT...

And "Millionaire" being an event show (at first), a suit and tie was a natural - and Regis kept the look.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

gameshowguy2000

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2004, 07:19:34 PM »
Well, in the first season of Millionaire, Regis's attire was a BLACK coat, BLACK dress shirt, and a DARK-colored tie with NOTHING on it.

GS Warehouse

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2004, 07:53:48 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Jan 2 2004, 07:19 PM\'] Well, in the first season of Millionaire, Regis's attire was a BLACK coat, BLACK dress shirt, and a DARK-colored tie with NOTHING on it. [/quote]
 I remember that.  WWTBAM was so popular that dark shirts with solid-colored silk ties actually became a fashion statement then!

Stevek83

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2004, 08:09:59 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Jan 2 2004, 07:31 AM\']
Sajak, Trebek, Barker . . .
 [/quote]
 Chuck Woolery, too.