Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Clark Pyramid Question  (Read 3683 times)

edholland83

Clark Pyramid Question
« on: January 04, 2004, 12:13:56 AM »
I was never sure how the categories were changed from one round to another and in the winner's circle, were they categories on cards or transparencies? Weren't the Davidson categories monitors later on in the run?

BrandonFG

Clark Pyramid Question
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2004, 12:36:26 AM »
[quote name=\'edholland83\' date=\'Jan 4 2004, 12:13 AM\'] I was never sure how the categories were changed from one round to another and in the winner's circle, were they categories on cards or transparencies? [/quote]
 From what I've seen, they were transparent slides, apparently glass...they've shattered on occasion after falling out of the holder. They also seemed to be pretty thick from the episode I saw, when Dick gave one contestant a misspelled slide as a souvenir. I'd say about 1/8" thick.

Now, my question, were the slides used simply recycled*? To me, it seems like they probably just used rub-off letters, and then wiped the slides off and started all over again.

*The ones that weren't broken or given away. :-)
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Brandon Brooks

Clark Pyramid Question
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2004, 10:41:03 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jan 4 2004, 12:36 AM\'] From what I've seen, they were transparent slides, apparently glass...they've shattered on occasion after falling out of the holder. They also seemed to be pretty thick from the episode I saw, when Dick gave one contestant a misspelled slide as a souvenir. I'd say about 1/8" thick.

Now, my question, were the slides used simply recycled*? To me, it seems like they probably just used rub-off letters, and then wiped the slides off and started all over again.

*The ones that weren't broken or given away. :-) [/quote]
Oh, no, no, no.  Those most definitely weren't glass; that would be expensive.  Just plastic.  IIRC, when one fell down during WC play, at the end, Dick took one that fell and made a demonstration on what the contestant heard behind her... it was something to the tune of "I was going to stop the round because this is what it sounded like to her 'WHACK! (Dick hitting the slide on the ground)'  Thankfully, she didn't turn around."

I'm sure they were recycled.  I'm more inclined the letters were stick-on as opposed to rub-on.

Brandon Brooks
« Last Edit: January 04, 2004, 03:12:06 PM by Brandon Brooks »

ChuckNet

Clark Pyramid Question
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2004, 03:48:29 PM »
Oh, no, no, no. Those most definitely weren't glass; that would be expensive. Just plastic. IIRC, when one fell down during WC play, at the end, Dick took one that fell and made a demonstration on what the contestant heard behind her... it was something to the tune of "I was going to stop the round because this is what it sounded like to her 'WHACK! (Dick hitting the slide on the ground)' Thankfully, she didn't turn around."

I remember seeing that ep on USA when they were airing it...kinda startled me when it happened during the WC, and it was followed by a sharp "Don't turn around!" from Dick...thankfully, I don't recall anyone ever doing so on those rare occasions during the 80s $25K/$100K run when a "fallout" occured.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")
« Last Edit: January 04, 2004, 03:49:55 PM by ChuckNet »

Kevin Prather

Clark Pyramid Question
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2004, 05:09:13 PM »
I'd be willing to bet that the actual trilons were made of glass, but the cards were plastic.

uncamark

Clark Pyramid Question
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2004, 05:16:49 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Jan 4 2004, 05:09 PM\']I'd be willing to bet that the actual trilons were made of glass, but the cards were plastic.[/quote]
Or Mylar, to the exact (the letters on the old "Wheel" puzzle board were on Mylar strips that slid into the cubes, as Pat proved on-camera one time when a bonus puzzle was FRANK SINATRA and Pat decided to entertain himself during the credits by trying to come up with anagrams for that name).

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Clark Pyramid Question
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2004, 11:21:37 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Jan 4 2004, 03:09 PM\'] I'd be willing to bet that the actual trilons were made of glass, but the cards were plastic. [/quote]
 I'll take that bet. Glass breaks, and a broken trilon would be unnecessarly expensive to replace, as well as heavy. I'm guessing plexiglas at best.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Kevin Prather

Clark Pyramid Question
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2004, 05:55:47 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 4 2004, 09:21 PM\'] [quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Jan 4 2004, 03:09 PM\'] I'd be willing to bet that the actual trilons were made of glass, but the cards were plastic. [/quote]
I'll take that bet. Glass breaks, and a broken trilon would be unnecessarly expensive to replace, as well as heavy. I'm guessing plexiglas at best. [/quote]
 Good point.

Can plexiglass be blown like glass? Looking at a picture of the $25,000 Pyramid, the trilons look like they are made of blown something.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Clark Pyramid Question
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2004, 09:56:38 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Jan 5 2004, 03:55 PM\'] Can plexiglass be blown like glass? [/quote]
 Not to my knowledge.
Looking at a picture of the $25,000 Pyramid, the trilons look like they are made of blown something.
I don't agree. I think they look like quality plexiglas.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Kevin Prather

Clark Pyramid Question
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2004, 10:04:13 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 5 2004, 07:56 PM\']
Looking at a picture of the $25,000 Pyramid, the trilons look like they are made of blown something.
I don't agree. I think they look like quality plexiglas. [/quote]
 Perhaps my eyes are playing tricks on me, or maybe I have a rotten picture. The trilon faces in that pic just don't seem flat to me.