Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Syndicated game shows that still aired following their so-called finale.  (Read 15699 times)

Vahan_Nisanian

Did the original What's My Line? (1950-1967) ever air in reruns on local stations?

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
(for you kids out there,
I beg your pardon, Trolly McTrollerson.
If you didn’t create it, it isn’t your content.

BrandonFG

There's a clip of 70s Treasure Hunt on Youtube that came from an early-80s rerun. I believe the station was KDAF in Dallas. I wanna say a Dallas-area station also aired Cross-Wits reruns around 1981 or '82, and I remember reading somewhere that the Canadian version of LMAD also aired on some stations around that same time.

Merv Griffin's Crosswords aired reruns in the 2008-09 season, paired up with Inside the Box, which was also a Program Partners show.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

aaron sica

Crosswords still airs on RetroTV, no?

BrandonFG

It appears so. The RTV Eastern schedule says it airs at noon each day.

It's prolly just me being nostalgic, but that's one thing I'd love to see more on these classic TV channels, a few daytime games, either reruns or even a first-run show. Of course, we have GSN for that, but to see an OTA channel try that would really take me back. :-)
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
In our area, WUTV continued to air Newlywed Game long after it stopped production in 1980.  I'm sure there are a few others but I can't think of them off the top of my head...

Likewise, WTHI in Terre Haute, IN ran the Newlyweds on Saturday nights up until the year they replaced it with the New Newlyweds.
@lambertman

Jimmy Owen

Did the original What's My Line? (1950-1967) ever air in reruns on local stations?
Yes. KDOC in Orange County, CA.  until at least 1985.  They showed a good number of Viacom-distributed shows in the early 80's including $128,000 Question, TPIR, Pyramid, etc. Source: Back issues of TV Guide obtained by me on ebay.

Actually, it might have been (more likely) the syndicated version (68-75) of WML? that ran.  There were no details on panelists in the TV Guide listings.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 01:01:22 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

aaron sica

Yes. KDOC in Orange County, CA.  until at least 1985.  They showed a good number of Viacom-distributed shows in the early 80's including $128,000 Question, TPIR, Pyramid, etc. Source: Back issues of TV Guide obtained by me on ebay.

Makes me wonder how many stations besides WLIG and KDOC ran the old Cullen Pyramid....

BrandonFG

That might explain why the CBS version added "The New" to its title a couple months into the run. A few times, it's been mentioned that viewers were confusing it with the Cullen version, and I could never understand why, give the CBS version had a new set and theme song. But if stations still aired reruns, it makes much more sense.

I wonder if that's part of the reason why "The Newlywed Game" added "New" to the title when it came back in 1985?

Jamey Greek

It appears so. The RTV Eastern schedule says it airs at noon each day.

It's prolly just me being nostalgic, but that's one thing I'd love to see more on these classic TV channels, a few daytime games, either reruns or even a first-run show. Of course, we have GSN for that, but to see an OTA channel try that would really take me back. :-)

I'd love to see that too

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
I wonder if that's part of the reason why "The Newlywed Game" added "New" to the title when it came back in 1985?
Surely: if people don't know that the show is coming back, they might think it was reruns of old episodes (especially given that Newlywed Game didn't make any substantial set changes from the 60s through the 70s.) Ditto the Pyramid deal; if you have reason to think that it's an old episode, why bother. So the show says "hey, we're new so please don't turn the channel assuming that this is a rebroadcast." Same idea for Let's Make a Deal.
If you didn’t create it, it isn’t your content.

chrispw1

Re: Syndicated game shows that still aired following their so-called finale.
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2014, 10:02:07 PM »
In Chicago WPWR  50 aired Rafferty Card Sharks in the 1987-88 season a year after it aired originally, Chicago didn't,t clear it in 1986-87

johnnya2k3

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2014, 01:32:49 AM »
Another case of syndicated reruns, also on WOR, late 70s Dating Game reruns aired from 1984 to 1986, late 70s Newlywed Game reruns from 84-85
That was the same case in Phoenix (dunno which station, but I'm guessing KNXV)!

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2014, 01:43:56 AM »
Another case of syndicated reruns

I hear Pepto-Bismol can help with that.
Bobby Peacock

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2014, 07:27:37 AM »
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022