Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Match Game Question  (Read 3881 times)

PartingGift

Match Game Question
« on: January 12, 2004, 01:55:10 PM »
On Match Game PM, the player who was ahead at the beginning of round two (and later, round three) went first.  Did Match Game '7x ever have this rule, or did the challenger always go first in round two?  I assume MG PM had this rule to make sure there were enough questions to fill the time.

WhammyPower

Match Game Question
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2004, 01:58:00 PM »
[quote name=\'PartingGift\' date=\'Jan 12 2004, 12:55 PM\'] On Match Game PM, the player who was ahead at the beginning of round two (and later, round three) went first.  Did Match Game '7x ever have this rule, or did the challenger always go first in round two? [/quote]
 Match Game '7x ALWAYS had the challenger go first.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Match Game Question
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2004, 03:14:33 PM »
[quote name=\'WhammyPower\' date=\'Jan 12 2004, 12:58 PM\'] [quote name=\'PartingGift\' date=\'Jan 12 2004, 12:55 PM\'] On Match Game PM, the player who was ahead at the beginning of round two (and later, round three) went first.  Did Match Game '7x ever have this rule, or did the challenger always go first in round two? [/quote]
Match Game '7x ALWAYS had the challenger go first. [/quote]
While that is indeed the case that the challenger always went first on MG7x, why was that?  Maybe I'm wrong, but I've always thought that getting to go first if you were ahead was an advantage (having to match fewer celebrities in the next round).  Statistics may not bear that out, but I'd be curious what you folks think (not to mention the official rationale, if there is one, for why the difference in that particular rule between the two versions).

As for PartingGift's thought that there would be enough questions to fill the time, it's very noticeable that MGPM had to do a lot of editing to pare the show down to a half hour (especially after they added the third round), so I don't think that having enough questions was a factor in determining who went first.

Doug -- soon to celebrate 300 posts
« Last Edit: January 12, 2004, 03:18:45 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

mmb5

Match Game Question
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2004, 03:32:31 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Jan 12 2004, 03:14 PM\'] [quote name=\'WhammyPower\' date=\'Jan 12 2004, 12:58 PM\'] [quote name=\'PartingGift\' date=\'Jan 12 2004, 12:55 PM\'] On Match Game PM, the player who was ahead at the beginning of round two (and later, round three) went first.  Did Match Game '7x ever have this rule, or did the challenger always go first in round two? [/quote]
Match Game '7x ALWAYS had the challenger go first. [/quote]
While that is indeed the case that the challenger always went first on MG7x, why was that?  Maybe I'm wrong, but I've always thought that getting to go first if you were ahead was an advantage (having to match fewer celebrities in the next round).  Statistics may not bear that out, but I'd be curious what you folks think (not to mention the official rationale, if there is one, for why the difference in that particular rule between the two versions).

As for PartingGift's thought that there would be enough questions to fill the time, it's very noticeable that MGPM had to do a lot of editing to pare the show down to a half hour (especially after they added the third round), so I don't think that having enough questions was a factor in determining who went first.

Doug -- soon to celebrate 300 posts [/quote]
 It probably had more to do with the fact that they always wanted to get 6 (or earlier, 4) questions in the 30 minute show, by having the leader go first, you can always have the loser's questions be meaningful.

On the daytime version, you don't have the restriction of time, so you can use the more fair alternating method.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

Jay Temple

Match Game Question
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2004, 10:23:16 PM »
Not mentioned so far is the syndie MG.  Each pair of players had to play exactly two games through the end of Friday's show.  That's why they sometimes had the audience play on Fridays.  It's also why, on every episode I've seen, the leader went first in Round 2.  That stretched the matches out long enough that they didn't play as many bonus rounds, keeping the prize budget down.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

zachhoran

Match Game Question
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2004, 10:40:04 PM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' date=\'Jan 12 2004, 10:23 PM\'] Not mentioned so far is the syndie MG.  Each pair of players had to play exactly two games through the end of Friday's show.  That's why they sometimes had the audience play on Fridays.  It's also why, on every episode I've seen, the leader went first in Round 2.  That stretched the matches out long enough that they didn't play as many bonus rounds, keeping the prize budget down. [/quote]
 They always played six maingames and SUper Matches a week on the daily Syndie MG.

Casey Buck

Match Game Question
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2004, 10:46:45 PM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' date=\'Jan 12 2004, 07:23 PM\'] Not mentioned so far is the syndie MG.  Each pair of players had to play exactly two games through the end of Friday's show.  That's why they sometimes had the audience play on Fridays. [/quote]
 Sometimes, they had to feverishly rush through both games (usually through heavy editing) to make sure that they both ended at the end of the Friday show, so that each week was self-contained (because of "bi-cycling").

ChuckNet

Match Game Question
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2004, 12:03:30 PM »
Sometimes, they had to feverishly rush through both games (usually through heavy editing) to make sure that they both ended at the end of the Friday show, so that each week was self-contained (because of "bi-cycling").

This is why all ties that occured later in the week were broken via the "sudden death" format.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")