Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Most expensive licensed merchandise  (Read 2428 times)

MikeK

• Martha!
Most expensive licensed merchandise
« on: April 13, 2015, 09:03:13 AM »
No, this isn't about a Most Expensive home game, available at a store near you.  Rather, what are the most expensive game show items out there?  Please do not include eBay auctions, promotional materials, stuff the common man couldn't purchase from a vendor or store, something which has a MSRP.

Here's what I have, and I welcome any additions:

1.  Any game show arcade game that you would find at Dave and Buster's--the Wheel of Fortune ticket redemption game, Deal or No Deal had a ticket redemption game as well.
2.  The Wheel of Fortune pinball game from Stern released in 2007, for the show's 25th* anniversary.  I am redoing my basement this summer and am really considering adding this to what will be my game room.  Costco had these for sale on their web site six years ago for $4000.  I found a used one in PA for $2900.
3.  The Wheel of Fortune and Name That Tune arcade games from the 80s.  Sure, they aren't as expensive as they were back in the day, but I'm sure each would run you at least a few hundred dollars today.
4.  Classroom Jeopardy!  The older version was being sold for $100 or less within the last few years.  The newer version starts at $400.

* 25th to TPTB.  We know better.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Re: Most expensive licensed merchandise
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 11:31:44 AM »
I wouldn't go for the arcade games, simply because a) they were lousy, and b) an arcade cabinet that only plays a single game in 2015 is a huge waste of space. I'd MAME it first. At least the pinball machine physically requires the space. (And if I remember right is a pretty good game.) $2900 might be reasonable; I think I'd price out what the market is getting for other Stern machines of that era to give you an idea of whether it's too high.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 12:24:55 PM »
Quality of the games notwithstanding, I'm not going the arcade route.  I had an upright arcade game 20 years ago (Birdie King 2) and it was a PITA to haul (ask me about the time I drive 20 miles with half of it sticking out the rear of my '87 Tercel hatchback!) and even more of a PITA to move into my parents' house.  I dare not try to finagle one into my basement.  I'm all about MAME with old arcade games.

$2900 seems like an OK price, probably in the $3300-3400 range after you factor freight shipping, crating, and paying off my cousin to help me move another pinball machine into the house.  I know they were going for closer to $2000 some years back.  The local pinball supplier wanted $5000+ for a Stern World Poker Tour used game two years ago.  $5000 is about how much I want to put into the basement between fixing it up, machine, etc.

TimK2003

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 01:34:43 PM »
Mike, check out Dr. Scott's shop in Toledo:  www.pinballstore.com.  He has, in the past, had more machines than he lists on the site, and does a great job in locating machines & sellers for machines he doesn't have. He might be a good resource for you, and he is conveniently located off of the Turnpike at exit 59 (worth a visit if you are passing thru the area).