Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Good Karna  (Read 13820 times)

Jay Temple

Good Karna
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2004, 12:18:04 AM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Jan 13 2004, 10:43 PM\'] [quote name=\'johnnya2k3\' date=\'Jan 13 2004, 11:22 PM\'] [quote name=\'TonicBH\' date=\'Jan 13 2004, 06:28 PM\'] What I would love to see personally for Season Six is:

- Maingame score go back to dollars
- a Set and theme that resembles the Feud we know (knew?) and love. [/quote]
Or for that matter, $10 for every point in Fast Money. The "$5 a point" has been used for a looooong time!

Jonathan Allen [/quote]
Why must you people continue to suffer from "Mo' Money syndrome"?  It would serve no purpose to up it...and why should a family that loses a bonus round be able to win up to $2000?

(for the record, I wasn't in favor of them raising the top prize, either). [/quote]
 I don't like the Mo' Money Syndrome any more than you, but there's an opposite effect in play.  I haven't heard a fancier name for it as applied to game show payouts, so I'll just call it inflation.  Even in nominal dollars, a team that wins one game and doesn't win Fast Money walks away with less money than a team that did so in 1976, since they don't win money in the main game.  Playing for $10 a point in FM or playing for dollars in the main game would solve that.

Footnote:  When they went to the $300 win midway through Dawson's show, I didn't like the fact that a team would generally win about $200 less if they won three questions in a row, requiring lots of answers, than if they lost every other question and won on a triple, which usually had only three answers.  If they go to dollars, they could right this by having some type of bonus for a three-question shutout.  ($200 bonus, as if they'd won a triple, or just double the winnings.  It would be worth it to the producers, since it results in more commercial time.)
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Card Shark

Good Karna
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2004, 07:05:35 AM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Jan 13 2004, 06:29 PM\'] No surprise:
(From Electronic Media aka Television Week)

Tribune Entertainment Co. has given a "firm go" for a sixth season of game show strip "Family Feud," renewing the Richard Karn-hosted series in 60 percent of the country, including 25 of the top 30 markets.

Stations renewing the program include Fox Television Stations' WNYW-TV/New York (Fox), KDFW-TV/Dallas (Fox), WDCA-TV/Washington (UPN); Viacom's KCAL-TV/Los Angeles; Weigel's WCIU-TV/Chicago; BCI Communications' WGTW-TV/Philadelphia; Sunbeam's WHDH-TV/Boston (NBC); WSVN-TV/Miami (Fox); WOIO-TV/Cleveland (CBS); KOVR-TV/Sacramento, Calif., (CBS); KDNL-TV/St. Louis (ABC); and WPXI-TV/Pittsburgh (NBC), among others. Tribune Broadcasting stations renewing "Family Feud" include KHWB-TV/Houston (WB), and Fox affiliates KCPQ-TV/Seattle, WTIC-TV/Hartford, Conn. and WPMT-TV/Harrisburg, Pa.

Randy
tvrandywest.com [/quote]
 Well, this sounds great to me. The UPN affiliate in Baltimore has had it on since day 1 in various time slots (good ones, mind you). I have only watched a handfull of episodes this season and must say that this show has vastly improved. Dumping Louie and having some kind of point goal for the main game was just what they needed.
Adam Strom

Don Howard

Good Karna
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2004, 08:00:33 AM »
This is wonderful news--especially on the heels of the word of Hollywood Squares' cancellation.
And I like Mo' Money. Love it, in fact. Especially when I'm winning it.

zachhoran

Good Karna
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2004, 08:08:51 AM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Jan 13 2004, 11:43 PM\']
Or for that matter, $10 for every point in Fast Money. The "$5 a point" has been used for a looooong time!

Jonathan Allen [/QUOTE]
Why must you people continue to suffer from "Mo' Money syndrome"?  It would serve no purpose to up it...and why should a family that loses a bonus round be able to win up to $2000?

(for the record, I wasn't in favor of them raising the top prize, either). [/quote]
 Squares pays out two grand on average to someone who doesn't win their bonus round, so raising to $10 a point is feasible and will increase the prize budget less than them raising the top prize to $20K did.

Brandon Brooks

Good Karna
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2004, 12:23:05 PM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Jan 13 2004, 11:43 PM\'] [quote name=\'johnnya2k3\' date=\'Jan 13 2004, 11:22 PM\'] [quote name=\'TonicBH\' date=\'Jan 13 2004, 06:28 PM\'] What I would love to see personally for Season Six is:

- a Set and theme that resembles the Feud we know (knew?) and love. [/quote]

Jonathan Allen [/quote]

It's been discussed before, but this time, I actually agree with this, for a couple of reasons.

1.  The need of a cue to tell Richard that 135 x $5 a point equals $675 would be unnecessary.  Adding a zero to the Fast Money total just seems practical.

2.  Winning the Fast Money jackpot is $20,000.  The next highest amount you can win is $995.  That's divided among five people with no additional main game winnings.  I personally think that after 20 something-odd years, this should be upped.

Brandon Brooks

gameshowguy2000

Good Karna
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2004, 02:00:32 PM »
[quote name=\'isucgv\' date=\'Jan 13 2004, 08:01 PM\'] [quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Jan 13 2004, 08:40 PM\'] [quote name=\'inturnaround\' date=\'Jan 13 2004, 07:31 PM\'] [quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Jan 13 2004, 08:26 PM\'] The only thing I'm hoping returns, is that the "Stolen Answer's Points added to bank" rule.

I mean, the "300 to win" rule is fine, just taking away the "Stolen Answer's Points added to bank" rule is not. [/quote]
One thing I noticed from the FF Pilot on the Page O' Clips is that the stolen answer value WAS added to the winnings. [/quote]
Right, and from the 1988 version up to Karn's first season, that's what happened.

But now, they're going back to the Classic format used on Dawson v1.0, where even if you stole, that answer's dollars WEREN'T added to the bank. I really don't like that.

The family that steals, regardless of format, should get the value of the answer they stole with added to the bank. It looks better that way. [/quote]
I don't think this is quite true.  In the first few years on Combs' version, the stealing team didn't get the dollar value for the stolen answer added to the bank.  This change came with the addition of the Bull's Eye round.

And how does it make it look better? [/quote]
 How does it make the show look better?

Ever heard the phrase "It's time to finish what was started?" That's my point on adding the stolen answer's points to the bank on a steal.

You get to FINISH what the other team STARTED. This had led to many 300+ Wins on the 3 Anderson seasons, and the first Karn season, even if the One-Strike Triple Round was in play.

Matt Ottinger

Good Karna
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2004, 02:39:48 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Jan 14 2004, 03:00 PM\'] Ever heard the phrase "It's time to finish what was started?" [/quote]
 Um, not on Family Feud I haven't.  What I hear on Family Feud is the same thing I've heard since 1976.  The other team has a chance to steal the points/money in the bank.  Not add to the bank, steal the bank.

Trust me, condescension doesn't work when you do it.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

uncamark

Good Karna
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2004, 03:57:46 PM »
[quote name=\'TonicBH\' date=\'Jan 13 2004, 09:28 PM\']What I would love to see personally for Season Six is:

- a Set and theme that resembles the Feud we know (knew?) and love.[/quote]
Don't know about the first one, but I believe it's been said that Karn didn't like the Score theme music and wanted them to go back to the Parker theme--which they did.

BrandonFG

Good Karna
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2004, 04:21:12 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Jan 14 2004, 03:57 PM\'] [quote name=\'TonicBH\' date=\'Jan 13 2004, 09:28 PM\']What I would love to see personally for Season Six is:

Don't know about the first one, but I believe it's been said that Karn didn't like the Score theme music and wanted them to go back to the Parker theme--which they did. [/quote]
 I wonder if he would've liked the remake used when Dawson came back in 1994. To be honest, I wasn't fond of the Score theme myself, at least not with the set they use.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

cmjb13

Good Karna
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2004, 04:40:12 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Jan 14 2004, 03:57 PM\'] [quote name=\'TonicBH\' date=\'Jan 13 2004, 09:28 PM\']What I would love to see personally for Season Six is:

Don't know about the first one, but I believe it's been said that Karn didn't like the Score theme music and wanted them to go back to the Parker theme--which they did. [/quote]
 Dirk who works on Price and also Feud said the theme was brought back to coincide with the Family Fleece promos.

Once they were done, they dropped the theme.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

bandit_bobby

Good Karna
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2004, 05:53:29 PM »
Maybe they'll be like Jeopardy one day and offer a car(Probably in the $25K+ Range) for five-time champs.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Good Karna
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2004, 07:43:14 PM »
Um, not on Family Feud I haven't. What I hear on Family Feud is the same thing I've heard since 1976. The other team has a chance to steal the points/money in the bank. Not add to the bank, steal the bank.

This has to be one of the best ways to phrase this argument, Matt.

The fundamental concept is sound and makes more sense. Family A builds up a bank. If they nail all the answers, they get it. If not, family B can steal their money. If Family B wants more money, don't hope for a high-valued steal to be put in the bank - buzz-in and get control.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Monarx

Good Karna
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2004, 07:45:38 PM »
My view of a successful steal and addition to the bank can be summed up with a hypothetical analogy.

Imagine you're stealing* stuff from someone's house.  You have about $20,000 worth of jewelry, money, a TV, and September.  When you're about to make your getaway, you spot a car in the driveway with its engine running and doors unlocked, so you steal that too, and it's worth, say, $10,000.  Then, you sell all that stuff to someone at even price.  Would you get $30,000?  Of course.  If you say an answer that's on the board, you should get credit for it.

BTW: Karma is misspelled.

BTW II: I only like Mo' Money Syndrome if I'm on a show it's infecting. ;-)

* - I do not condone illegal activity.
The countdown to 100 ended awhile ago, why are you still here?

zachhoran

Good Karna
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2004, 07:54:20 PM »
[quote name=\'bandit_bobby\' date=\'Jan 14 2004, 05:53 PM\'] Maybe they'll be like Jeopardy one day and offer a car(Probably in the $25K+ Range) for five-time champs. [/quote]
 Offer five cars(which would hurt their budget I'd guess) or split a car five ways :)

They'd be better off doing a yearly TofC for the top winning families, say the top eight, and offer a jackpot that starts at $50K and goes up $20K for each FM win during the quarter and semi-finals(like what was done for the one TofC the Anderson Feud did)

gameshowguy2000

Good Karna
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2004, 08:09:16 PM »
[quote name=\'Monarx\' date=\'Jan 14 2004, 06:45 PM\'] My view of a successful steal and addition to the bank can be summed up with a hypothetical analogy.

Imagine you're stealing* stuff from someone's house.  You have about $20,000 worth of jewelry, money, a TV, and September.  When you're about to make your getaway, you spot a car in the driveway with its engine running and doors unlocked, so you steal that too, and it's worth, say, $10,000.  Then, you sell all that stuff to someone at even price.  Would you get $30,000?  Of course.  If you say an answer that's on the board, you should get credit for it.

BTW: Karma is misspelled.

BTW II: I only like Mo' Money Syndrome if I'm on a show it's infecting. ;-)

* - I do not condone illegal activity. [/quote]
And that's my point on adding the Stolen Answer's points to the bank.

Say Team A is dominating all the points after the 2 singles and double round, and Team B has ZILCH.

Say Team A managed to, in the Triple Round, nails 2 of the 3 answers, and using the current format. Say the #1 answer has 80 people (240), and #2 has 10 people (30), and they don't get the #3 answer before getting the 3rd strike. So, there's 270 up there, and a chance to steal the bank, PLUS the remaining 30 for the full 300 and the win.

If this happens, then Team B can finish what Team A started. If they managed to find the answer #3 up there, they can add THAT answer's value to the bank, and take the WHOLE Bank, for the win!  This means, that after conferring, if they've found the #3 answer up there, which'll have 10 people, this means that 30 is added to the 270, for the total 300 points in the bank, AND the win.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2004, 08:11:20 PM by gameshowguy2000 »