Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Seeing a game show for the first time  (Read 8004 times)

tommycharles

Seeing a game show for the first time
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2004, 03:13:32 PM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' date=\'Jan 15 2004, 12:00 PM\']

The first taping I ever went to, however, was What's My Line? in 1970, at the old Ed Sullivan Theater (heck, Ed was still using it at that point!). [/quote]
Was it called the Ed yet, or was it still CBS Studio 50 (I think that's what it was called ,I could be way off)??

EDIT: Wow....250 posts. Where can I exchange that for a ceramic dalmation?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2004, 03:28:59 PM by tommycharles »

Don Howard

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2004, 03:24:13 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowhost1\' date=\'Jan 15 2004, 01:50 PM\'] Yes, the one and only, the lovely & talented, the most powerful broadcaster in Huntington, WV, heck the the tri state for that matter, the rivercities most beloved entertainer(have I stolen enough of Letterman's lines?)

Then, are you from here?  Do I know you?

Actually, I'm in preliminary talks with the new ownership at WOWK and their family of stations for a "revival" of "High Q."  Wish me well
Ernie [/quote]
 My word, the brushes with greatness never stop around here. Ernie, I first caught your show in 1986--you still had the perm. Good luck reviving High Q. From what I hear, the return of Academic Challenge last month, cancelled one year after your show, in Cleveland has been met with nothing but positive response.
We'll chat later through personal e-mail. Thanks for writing back.
Back on topic, I got to see three Super Password episodes taped in 1985
with guests Pat Sajak and Lauri Hendler from Gimme A Break. While it was a thrill to see those two and Bert Convy do their stuff right there just feet away, all persons in the crowd would agree with me that for us the star of the taping session was Gene Wood.

bricon

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2004, 04:26:22 PM »
Was it called the Ed yet, or was it still CBS Studio 50 (I think that's what it was called ,I could be way off)??

It was renamed for Ed Sullivan on 12/10/67.

tvrandywest

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2004, 06:26:49 PM »
[quote name=\'bricon\' date=\'Jan 15 2004, 01:26 PM\'] It was renamed for Ed Sullivan on 12/10/67. [/quote]
It was raining that night. Ed had a black umbrella.
But don't ask me where I left my keys last night!    ;-)

Hey, those first times seeing a game show tape are unforgettable for me. The impression was so deep that they changed my life's goals. I have moved a dozen times and have always taken the art card from a Final Jeopardy answer circa 1971.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: January 15, 2004, 06:31:39 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2004, 06:56:35 PM »
The only real game show taping I've seen so far was J!'s 2002 College Tournament at OSU; my companion for the taping was the world famous Ernie Adnerson, who was recognized by a fan earlier in this thread. :-)

Johnny Gilbert did an awesome warm-up, about which three things stand out: #1. "I'd like to remind all of you that we will be panning the audience during the closing credits, so if you are here with another man's spouse, for your own safety, please get the hell out now!" #2. When Johnny read the slate (which, somehow, I was surprised game shows still do) he paused and turned the audience and said, "God, this is exciting, isn't it???" #3. He told a story about reading a commercial on Bill Cullen's TPIR for psoriasis treatment. The problems facing him were he hadn't read the copy beforehand, and while he was familiar with the ailment, he had never actually SEEN the word "psoriasis" before, so he ended up announcing, "An exciting new breakthrough for people with sorry asses!"

During a break, I asked Alex about THE suspicion regarding the "High Rollers" finale. Alex, until that point had been the cordial, genial, warm and friendly guy he's been described as being when the J! cameras are off. When he heard my question, he turned into TV Alex, which surprised the hell out of me, and answered, "Not true" and didn't come back to my section. He had been going down the row asking people questions and I realized much later that if I hadn't asked him that, he probably would have continued with my row and Ernie could have asked his question. Sorry I screwed you, Ernie.

Discrepencies: There was a questionable call about the French name for French Fries (apparently it carries two different names, depending on what food it's served with) and the taping stopped for 45 minutes while the staff telephoned several experts (Johnny G. explained that J! basically has a reference of people in the LA area with fields of expertise) whose job it was to just stay home on taping days and wait for the phone to ring if a problem came up. There was another problem with a response that held up taping another 20 minutes, but Johnny and Alex both did a phenomenal job keeping the crowd "awake" the whole time.

I'd recommend a game show taping to anyone, especially if it's "The New High-Q" which all of us in the Huntington area are hoping gets launched soon, especially Ernie, who enjoyed

zachhoran

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2004, 07:16:14 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Jan 15 2004, 03:24 PM\'] Super Password episodes taped in 1985
with guests Pat Sajak and Lauri Hendler from Gimme A Break. While it was a thrill to see those two and Bert Convy do their stuff right there just feet away, all persons in the crowd would agree with me that for us the star of the taping session was Gene Wood. [/quote]
 Lauri Hendler was a damn good celeb player, especially given her age(early 20s) when she did them. Bert mentioned how he was in awe of her gameplay on that week of SP IIRC. Whatever became of her anyway, she's still fairly young(late 30s I guess now)

zachhoran

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2004, 07:18:05 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowhost1\' date=\'Jan 15 2004, 01:50 PM\'] yes, the one and only Ernie Anderson, the lovely & talented, the most powerful broadcaster in Huntington, Wv, [/quote]
 Ernie may well be tied for most powerful broadcaster from Huntington with a certain host born Pierre Lacock in that town in 1927, i.e. Peter Marshall

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2004, 07:21:27 PM »
[quote name=\'Adam Nedeff\' date=\'Jan 15 2004, 06:56 PM\']During a break, I asked Alex about THE suspicion regarding the "High Rollers" finale. Alex, until that point had been the cordial, genial, warm and friendly guy he's been described as being when the J! cameras are off. When he heard my question, he turned into TV Alex, which surprised the hell out of me, and answered, "Not true" and didn't come back to my section.[/quote]
It wouldn't have surprised me. I certainly wouldn't want to be asked about my potential inebriation on national TV while in front of an audience of hundreds.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

calliaume

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2004, 07:22:13 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jan 15 2004, 07:16 PM\'] [quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Jan 15 2004, 03:24 PM\'] Super Password episodes taped in 1985
with guests Pat Sajak and Lauri Hendler from Gimme A Break. While it was a thrill to see those two and Bert Convy do their stuff right there just feet away, all persons in the crowd would agree with me that for us the star of the taping session was Gene Wood. [/quote]
Lauri Hendler was a damn good celeb player, especially given her age(early 20s) when she did them. Bert mentioned how he was in awe of her gameplay on that week of SP IIRC. Whatever became of her anyway, she's still fairly young(late 30s I guess now) [/quote]
Just checked IMDB -- she was 19 when she taped her first episodes.

I remember her best from a Pyramid tournament week, when she decided to prove she was an adult (even though she was playing a high schooler on TV), and so wore a black strapless party dress on one show.  She looked great, but no doubt her chest was a hell of a distraction to the contestants.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2004, 07:24:17 PM by calliaume »

zachhoran

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2004, 07:31:16 PM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' date=\'Jan 15 2004, 07:22 PM\']
Just checked IMDB -- she was 19 when she taped her first episodes.

I remember her best from a Pyramid tournament week, when she decided to prove she was an adult (even though she was playing a high schooler on TV), and so wore a black strapless party dress on one show.  She looked great, but no doubt her chest was a hell of a distraction to the contestants. [/quote]
 Lauri won the $100K for Mary Money on her first time in the Winner's Circle during a tournament week. It was the sixth day of the tournament. Dave Mackey said he was in the audience(and popped out of it upon the big win) for the taping.

Interesting tidbit: Dec 25, 2000 saw the 6-7PM EST hour on GSN feature Mary's $100K win followed by an MG77 episode in which she was the champion.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2004, 08:01:18 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Jan 15 2004, 05:21 PM\'] [quote name=\'Adam Nedeff\' date=\'Jan 15 2004, 06:56 PM\']During a break, I asked Alex about THE suspicion regarding the "High Rollers" finale. Alex, until that point had been the cordial, genial, warm and friendly guy he's been described as being when the J! cameras are off. When he heard my question, he turned into TV Alex, which surprised the hell out of me, and answered, "Not true" and didn't come back to my section.[/quote]
It wouldn't have surprised me. I certainly wouldn't want to be asked about my potential inebriation on national TV while in front of an audience of hundreds. [/quote]
 Yeah, that struck me as being in incredibly bad taste, too.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2004, 08:35:26 PM »
You might not want to ask him about "Pitfall" either.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

zachhoran

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2004, 08:41:17 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Jan 15 2004, 08:35 PM\'] You might not want to ask him about "Pitfall" either. [/quote]
 Or about his dancing :)

whewfan

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2004, 09:06:25 PM »
[quote name=\'bricon\' date=\'Jan 15 2004, 11:17 AM\']

That would have been Bob Perlow, no longer with the show.  Current warmup is named Tom Riles, who has also done some episodes of Funniest Home Videos.  

[/quote]
 Question for you Brian...

Did Bob ever get into any real trouble for those prank calls (or CBS) ?
Surely caller ID or a phone operator could've traced those calls, and apparently he did call some of those Pennysaver ads more than once. (It's one thing to prank call someone once and get a cheap laugh, but more than once to me is just plain harassment)

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2004, 12:30:21 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jan 15 2004, 07:31 PM\'][quote name=\'calliaume\' date=\'Jan 15 2004, 07:22 PM\']
I remember her best from a Pyramid tournament week, when she decided to prove she was an adult (even though she was playing a high schooler on TV), and so wore a black strapless party dress on one show.  She looked great, but no doubt her chest was a hell of a distraction to the contestants. [/quote]
Lauri won the $100K for Mary Money on her first time in the Winner's Circle during a tournament week. It was the sixth day of the tournament. Dave Mackey said he was in the audience(and popped out of it upon the big win) for the taping.[/quote]
Popped out of? . . . oh, out of the audience. Darn.

Watch what phrases you're putting in near proximity to other phrases, Zach. =P
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin