Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPIR Contestants and Shirt Logos  (Read 7536 times)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Re: TPIR Contestants and Shirt Logos
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2015, 09:32:34 AM »
I know this is kinda low-tech, but when I was a part of my brother's college quizzer they solved said issue with black tape...

/as player and as show villain/question writer
//Barry and Enright didn't have shit on me

On a couple of my visits during the Barker era, some audience participants were asked to visit the restroom and turn their shirts inside out.  I also recall at least one person in the pre-line (where you were given a placeholder) being asked to change their shirt before returning.  I always figured those were the folks who were wearing CBS logo shirts -- they visited the pro shop in the lobby.

Now see, I was originally thinking this might have been procedure but it seemed too obvious.

In the only example I was a part of, they spelled it out pretty clear in all the documents they sent out. If I remember the clothes we were gonna wear couldn't have any writing on them at all (they made the one guy who did wear something like that zip the hoodie he was wearing to hide it).

/why you'd wear a hoodie in New York during the peak of summer is beyond me
//then again, I wore a winter sweater on a 90° day in New York when I went to try out for Jeopardy
///word to the wise...never spill coffee on a white shirt
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2015, 11:56:10 AM »
I'm pretty sure I remember a contestant from last year who made it on-stage with a shirt that referenced some organization. I guess they thought it wasn't a problem at the time, but apparently something must have come up by the time they aired it as the decision was made to blur out whatever was on the contestant's shirt and the shirts of all the people in the group. They slipped up once during the Showcase Showdown and the group's name was visible for a bit. I remember searching it up but, for the life of me, I can't remember what the group did.

EDIT: Quick search over at Golden-Road reveals that it was a group of people wearing a shirt advertising a rapper. Also, apparently, they (the show) figured it would be a problem before the SCSD and by that time the contestant's shirt was covered with black tape.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 12:23:06 PM by jjman920 »
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2015, 12:36:48 PM »
Where do you draw the line?  In the same episode as the guy with the Superman shirt, another player had on a shirt celebrating Ohio State's 2014 football championship.  College clothing has traditionally gotten a pass on TPIR, I believe, but when you're specifically referencing sports, you're once again down that billion-dollar-industry rabbit hole.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.