Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Stefan Raab Retiring  (Read 3120 times)

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
Stefan Raab Retiring
« on: June 18, 2015, 08:29:10 AM »
"Schlag den Raab" host leaving TV at the end of the year.

http://www.dw.de/german-media-star-stefan-raab-says-goodbye-to-tv/a-18523666
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

Neumms

Re: Stefan Raab Retiring
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 04:33:12 PM »
Scheiße!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 05:00:54 PM »
I was just about to ask how one would say "Boo hiss" in German, but I think the previous poster covered that. Wikipedia says that some company owns the American rights to the show, which means if it ever makes it to air we'll get a bastardized and watered down format much as we did with Wanna Bet?
Travis L. Eberle

Kevin Prather

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 05:06:24 PM »
I was just about to ask how one would say "Boo hiss" in German, but I think the previous poster covered that. Wikipedia says that some company owns the American rights to the show, which means if it ever makes it to air we'll get a bastardized and watered down format much as we did with Wanna Bet?

What are the chances that ESPN might enjoy a show like this? Something to air as an event similar to the WSOP live final table, which also airs for a variable amount of time that could stretch for hours.

Probably one thing they'd do different is instead of choosing the contestant the day of, choose the contestant six months in advance and advertise the hell out of him/her.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 05:25:25 PM »
What are the chances that ESPN might enjoy a show like this?

Because of this:

which also airs for a variable amount of time that could stretch for hours.

...damned near zero. They HATE this. HATE HATE HATE. They are only going to put up with it when they KNOW it's going to pull numbers. No WAY they try it voluntarily on a lark.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Kevin Prather

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 06:03:57 PM »
What are the chances that ESPN might enjoy a show like this?

Because of this:

which also airs for a variable amount of time that could stretch for hours.

...damned near zero. They HATE this. HATE HATE HATE. They are only going to put up with it when they KNOW it's going to pull numbers. No WAY they try it voluntarily on a lark.

They did it on a lark when they started doing the November Nine for the WSOP in 2008. Even though the traditional WSOP episodes they aired pulled good numbers, the live shows are so drastically different that there was no way to know what the numbers would be on them. Unless you know otherwise?

Perhaps they start off with something a little more gentle. Spend the six months advertising the contestant, making that person as much of a celebrity as they can, and put the feelers out for what kind of response they're gonna get. Then decide whether to do a taped episode or a live grandiose special like the European flavor.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2015, 06:47:49 PM »
I envision it more as something NBC would do. They've spent three hours on Sound of Music and Peter Pan, why not a huge variety show? The original article has musical guests throughout in order to fill time taken to set up some of the grander challenges. The most recent SDR took a little more than five hours--either shrink the scope to fill the 8p to 11pm Saturday night hole, or go all the way and blow out the late local news and SNL. The bigger issue I have is that I don't see Best Time Ever with Neil Patrick Harris staying close to the Saturday Night Takeaway format which is to their detriment, so I'm similarly pessimistic over Beat Your Host.
Travis L. Eberle