Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Ebay: Singing Game Show Hosts  (Read 8203 times)

Matt Ottinger

Ebay: Singing Game Show Hosts
« on: March 24, 2016, 05:30:54 PM »
A nifty collection of five obscure albums from the 60s and 70s.  Probably a little pricey, but fun to see going as a set.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-1960-70s-Singing-Game-Show-Hosts-LPs-Cullen-Downs-Marshall-Martindale-Ludden-/291717469479?hash=item43ebb75527:g:YooAAOSwJQdW8vQD
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Re: Ebay: Singing Game Show Hosts
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 05:58:08 PM »
I remember the Cullen album from an earlier discussion...forgot what it went for.

Who knew Hugh Downs could play guitar? One of his secret powers I guess.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 06:13:23 PM »
I remember the Cullen album from an earlier discussion...forgot what it went for.

None of them are worth much more than ten dollars each.  Maybe the Ludden one, which is definitely the rarest, would go for a little more.

Others that can be found out there include a Jack Narz folk album and a truly awful Gene Wood comedy album.

thomas_meighan

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 10:14:28 PM »
Also noteworthy is Victor's 1941 "Christmas Carol" album (spoken word, not sung), which featured Bud Collyer as Nephew Fred and "Master Dickie Van Patten" as Peter Cratchit.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ernest-Chappell-Charles-Dickens-A-Christmas-Carol-VG-4x-78-Rpm-1941-G-29-Victor-/351657536580?hash=item51e06c2c44:g:LmIAAOSwPc9WxniT

(Posted for reasons of historical interest; there are three sets now on Ebay, all rather exorbitantly priced.)

Dennis James also recorded an album of mother-themed recitations for Decca in 1950.

PYLdude

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 10:59:21 PM »
It really amazes me just how many famous people over the years recorded albums that you wouldn't necessarily think of right away. 

Like when I found out Telly Savalas had a #1 single in the UK.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2016, 11:06:21 PM »

What's the title? I may have that album.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2016, 11:15:28 PM »
It really amazes me just how many famous people over the years recorded albums that you wouldn't necessarily think of right away. 

Game show fan and ubercollector Bob Leszczak (aka Bob O'Brien) has written a book on the subject:

http://www.amazon.com/Small-Screen-Vinyl-Television-1950-2000-ebook/dp/B00Y2A3K2O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1435761049&sr=8-1&keywords=from+small+screen+to+vinyl

PYLdude

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2016, 11:15:58 PM »

What's the title? I may have that album.

I don't know which album it would be but the song is a spoken word cover of "If" by Bread, if that helps.

PYLdude

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2016, 11:29:16 PM »

Game show fan and ubercollector Bob Leszczak (aka Bob O'Brien) has written a book on the subject:

http://www.amazon.com/Small-Screen-Vinyl-Television-1950-2000-ebook/dp/B00Y2A3K2O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1435761049&sr=8-1&keywords=from+small+screen+to+vinyl

I'm gonna have to see if this is in a local library. Looks pretty comprehensive.

chrisholland03

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2016, 09:49:37 AM »
I'm kicking myself for not buying a set of Allen Ludden's books for teenagers at a library disposal several years ago.  I recall his recommendation of locking your doors and putting your convertible top up if you go to the make-out point.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2016, 12:22:24 PM »
I'm kicking myself for not buying a set of Allen Ludden's books for teenagers at a library disposal several years ago.  I recall his recommendation of locking your doors and putting your convertible top up if you go to the make-out point.

Sure those weren't Barker's books?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2016, 01:46:30 PM »
None of them are worth much more than ten dollars each.  Maybe the Ludden one, which is definitely the rarest, would go for a little more.
Actually, the Ludden one is available on iTunes for $9.99. Just downloaded it.

tomobrien

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2016, 05:51:57 PM »
Along those same lines, George DeWitt's 1957 RKO-Unique album, "Name That Tune," is also available on iTunes for $8.99.

Nick

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2016, 06:45:44 PM »
Actually, the Ludden one is available on iTunes for $9.99. Just downloaded it.

If anybody is looking for the vinyl release, there was a copy when I popped into Amoeba Music in Hollywood a couple of years ago.  I suppose it could still be there.
It was a golden age of daytime network television... Game Shows... Hosted by people who actually knew that the game was the star... And I wish it was still that way - both that game shows were on all morning and that they were hosted by actual game show hosts. - Bob Purse, Inches Per Second

SuperMatch93

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2016, 09:04:48 AM »
a truly awful Gene Wood comedy album.

I made the mistake of buying What Would Have Happened If...? a few years ago because I saw Gene Wood on the cover. If only I knew...
-William https://cookcounty.biz
https://www.donorschoose.org/classroom/cpsbermudez
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983