Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bill's Best  (Read 9177 times)

gamed121683

Bill's Best
« on: March 25, 2016, 05:54:06 PM »
Here's a fun question about the patron saint of our forum that should stir up some healthy conversation. This might be a "Which of your kids do you love more?" style of query, but I'll still ask it. Here goes:

In your opinion, what was the best game show ever hosted by Bill Cullen & why? which game show did Bill Cullen do his best work?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 06:54:26 PM by gamed121683 »

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
Re: Bill's Best
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 06:30:11 PM »
In your opinion, what was the best game show ever hosted by Bill Cullen & why?

At risk of stirring the pot, I'll offer that this is a different question than "On which game show did Bill Cullen do his best work?"  I would even argue that this is a different answer as well.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 06:43:08 PM »
At risk of stirring the pot, I'll offer that this is a different question than "On which game show did Bill Cullen do his best work?"  I would even argue that this is a different answer as well.

I like this. I think his best show was Blockbusters, but I would suggest his best work probably came from Eye Guess or The Price Is Right.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

gamed121683

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 06:53:52 PM »
In your opinion, what was the best game show ever hosted by Bill Cullen & why?

You know, not only did you stir the pot...you made the pot taste better! I'll change my original post accordingly.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 06:58:07 PM »
Given that Bob Stewart gave Bill just about free reign to host how he saw fit I would say that any of Eye Guess, TPIR or Three on a Match would be fine answers for me. Watching him host $25,000 Pyramid is an interesting exercise but he's so hamstrung by the format that he doesn't get to host to his full potential where a lighter game that is more driven by the host would allow. (And really, Blockbusters also walks that fine line of move the game along but have fun as well expertly.)

And yes, I realize that I named a bunch of game shows in a post that asks "pick one. Bill's just that darn good.
Travis L. Eberle

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 07:50:09 PM »
Kinds tough call, as there were a handful of really weak games where Bill adjusted his hosting style to fit. Bill was very polished and relaxed with great games like Blockbusters, TPIR and Chain Reaction. Since Eye Guess had lots of laugh potential, he was more of a pixie (after all, who else would adjust their eyeglasses on a board game cover shot?). Games like Winning Streak, Pass The Buck and Blankety Blanks has Bill pulling the wagons to try and get them up and over the hill. If nothing else, it shows that Bill was probably the most flexible and intuitive game show host ever. He knew when the games would work and when they needed lots of help. And he was happier on the better ones, professional on all of them.

BillCullen1

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2016, 11:22:27 AM »
A tough question indeed. After thinking about it, I would say Uncle Bill's best work as a host was on his signature show TPIR. Three on a Match and Child's Play are close behind. These shows allowed Bill to have fun and be entertaining while moving the game along at a good pace. I've only seen a couple of clips of Eye Guess. Blankety Blanks and Pass The Buck didn't last that long and Winning Streak changed its rules every week.

As a panelist, hands down Bill was great on IGAS. The free wheeling format of that show was not as restricting as TTTT, though Bill did a good job on both. On the last show of IGAS when the panel said their goodbyes, Bill said "I feel like I'm stealing the money." That's when you know you have the perfect job.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2016, 12:26:17 PM »
I find myself in the Blockbusters camp when it comes to the question "what's his best work". But that unfortunately is based on a lack of familiarity with his other work, at least to the point where one could say that he took careful consideration and had plenty of jobs to choose from.

Not to say that I haven't enjoyed seeing snything Bill did, because certainly I have.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

whewfan

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2016, 07:30:19 AM »
One could argue that Hot Potato was another "pulling the wagon" show, especially when they switched to celebs. The format itself was simple enough, if not derivative of Family Feud. The bonus game, however, had some originality. I think I had mentioned on a fairly recent post that when I played this game at a GSC years ago, I noticed how bland of a game it was without a "Bill Cullen" hosting.

You can tell Bill isn't really having as much fun with the celebs, in fact when he announces they are switching to celebs, you can almost see the look on his face thinking "okay, we'll see what we can do to make that work." The "three of a kind" setup worked fine, especially with the threesomes dressed to look like the occupation they did.

The show didn't need celebrities, and some looked like they'd rather not be there. When Arte Johnson was on, if there was a question he liked, he'd be enthusiastic and funny, however, if there was a question he didn't like, he would just give a nonsense answer and retreat to the bench in the back, like he didn't care. For example, there was a question about Dennis the Menace, which he clearly knew nothing about, so instead of passing the hot potato and hoping the opponents know less than him (which would've been a much better strategy), he gives a nonsensical answer, thus making his team one less person. Jan Murray did this too, he'd play more for laughs, but at least he looked like he kinda wanted to be there. (In fact I would've passed it to Jan, who would be more likely to give a funny answer instead of one that fit the question) The final episode also had the worst editing for the end. At the end, the celebs gathered together on one side of the stage, leaving one contestant standing alone, but yet they inserted shots of the contestant and celebs all standing where they should be, which looked very awkward. The final show also had more frantic pacing because they knew it would be the last show for the season, and they wanted to fit in at least 2 full games.

BillCullen1

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2016, 08:26:53 AM »
An interesting note about Hot Potato - Jack Barry was going to host it, till NBC told him "We'll put in on if you get Bill Cullen to host." This was in Adam Nedeff's book.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2016, 06:01:50 PM »
As long as this has been bumped, I should say that I've recently gotten my hands on something that, once you see it, you might very well consider Bill's worst.

Not a game show.  Details to follow.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2016, 06:22:55 PM »
Not an unseen episode of The Love Experts, I hope. 
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

whewfan

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2016, 09:59:25 PM »
An interesting note about Hot Potato - Jack Barry was going to host it, till NBC told him "We'll put in on if you get Bill Cullen to host." This was in Adam Nedeff's book.

Would've been a whole different show if Barry hosted... if Jack Barry did end up hosting Hot Potato, do you think he would've left TJW to Jim Peck? (which he intended on doing anyway) One thing for sure, Jack wouidn't be able to handle the show with celebs... I thought his hosting Break the Bank was passable, it's not all that horrible IMO, but of course Tom Kennedy was far better.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2016, 03:08:17 PM »

Would've been a whole different show if Barry hosted... if Jack Barry did end up hosting Hot Potato, do you think he would've left TJW to Jim Peck? (which he intended on doing anyway) One thing for sure, Jack wouidn't be able to handle the show with celebs... I thought his hosting Break the Bank was passable, it's not all that horrible IMO, but of course Tom Kennedy was far better.

Jack would have died mid-run and the "Diff'rent Strokes" reruns would have come on a few weeks early.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

DjohnsonCB

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2016, 10:45:29 PM »
Because I have more memories of Eye Guess than there are available shows today, and because my memories of his old Price have all but faded completely, I have to go with Eye Guess.  There was real comedy in that show and Bill was a funny host.  It deserves a revival but who'd make the best host?
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel