Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sports game shows  (Read 2908 times)

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Sports game shows
« on: September 07, 2018, 04:28:21 PM »
Calling all sports fans: How do you feel watching some of the sports-trivia-heavy game shows? I've asked a few fans, for example, about Sports Jeopardy! and if they felt the material was fair, or if they were still engaged when the show was talking about a sport they didn't follow, etc. etc.

As a guy who's not big into sports, I could never tell if the balance was struck. Naturally, with any game that covers a variety of topics, you're bound to be stumped by something that's unfamiliar to you. But I imagine the Venn diagram overlaps much different on the sports shows, because somebody might devote all of their sports watching time to football, and not know one tennis player's name (or vice versa).

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Jimmy Owen

Re: Sports game shows
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 04:56:05 PM »
Doesn't interest me.  Stats savants don't impess me and the play along value is limited.  What I would like is a TPIR clone with bonuses based on sports. Shooting hoops, slap shots, football throw, etc.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 05:37:57 PM »
I think Sports Jeopardy strikes the right balance.  I was recently at a sports bar that had this on the TV and other patrons were enjoying the play along.
Shows like Sports Genuises and Stump the Schwab were unappealing due to the heavy-handed question material.  I watch the NFL, MLB, etc. regularly, but I couldn't tell you the last ten World Series MVPs.  Watching people recite information from a list does not invite casual sports fans...and the types of people who were typically cast for those shows were not likeable.
What I would like is a TPIR clone with bonuses based on sports. Shooting hoops, slap shots, football throw, etc.
I thought they tried a show like this in the 90s.  Host was Randall Cunningham.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

aaron sica

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 06:01:04 PM »

"Scramble", named after his awesome QB abilities.

/Why no, I'm not an Eagles fan, why do you ask?

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2018, 06:09:49 PM »
I don't think the material was awful--Dan Patrick failed to project warmth or indeed any hostly quality that Alex Trebek brings in metric tonnage to whatever he does. I'm no sports bro, but I enjoy most of the shows from the last two decades (and even Sports Challenge has its own charms) because they manage to have difficult questions interspersed with ones that are fielded by a naive tyro like myself. (One of the 2 Minute Drill semi-finals had "How many men reached on base when Don Larsen pitched for the Brooklyn Dodgers in the World Series?") Even though I was a youngster and had just the bare minimum of knowledge I enjoyed the atmosphere and laid back hosting of Other Tom Green on Sports on Tap because there was an interesting game happening.

Rock and Roll Jeopardy was a must-watch for me because the host knew his role and the material ran the gamut with interesting people. Sports Jeopardy was tackled for loss in almost every category other than the marching band arrangement of Final Jeopardy.
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2018, 06:26:37 PM »
What I would like is a TPIR clone with bonuses based on sports. Shooting hoops, slap shots, football throw, etc.
Aaron mentioned it being Scramble, but there was also ESPN's Dream League, which aired right around the same time. Sports trivia mixed with physical challenges like throwing a football at a cutout, hitting a baseball, etc.

As for Jason's question, I enjoyed Sports Jeopardy! Like the original, it had the right balance of everyday knowledge and obscure stats. I usually found myself drawing a blank on most other shows like Sports Challenge or 2-Minute Drill. They were both fun, but I found myself only getting a handful right in the entire half hour.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

jage

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2018, 08:32:22 PM »
Sports Jeopardy seemed to go deeper in knowledge with the big sports football/baseball/basketball and more basic knowledge on secondary sports. While Dan wasn't amazing, it was a perfectly watchable half hour for someone who is a casual sports fan but wouldn't know details of Superbowl XIV. The one thing I liked about SJ was the postgame show.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2018, 08:40:35 PM »
Dan Patrick failed to project warmth or indeed any hostly quality that Alex Trebek brings in metric tonnage to whatever he does

Even into a second order of shows, I was surprised how much Dan was still missing the Jeopardy! cadence in his reads. That's why I was also surprised to see so many bringing up his name during the Alex Trebek retirement speculation.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2018, 09:15:38 AM »
Dan Patrick failed to project warmth or indeed any hostly quality that Alex Trebek brings in metric tonnage to whatever he does

Even into a second order of shows, I was surprised how much Dan was still missing the Jeopardy! cadence in his reads. That's why I was also surprised to see so many bringing up his name during the Alex Trebek retirement speculation.

-Jason

Dan already turned it down, along with TPIR, LMAD and the reboot of Downfall. :)
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

bulldog_06

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2018, 06:25:34 PM »
I liked Sports Jeopardy. I thought Dan Patrick did an excellent job as host. He did it in his own way and not be like Trebek.

I was a fan of Stump The Schwab...just bad time slots so I couldn't watch like I wanted to.

My favorite was probably 2 Minute Drill with Kenny Mayne. He was surprising as a game show host. The format was terrific, the competition was excellent. I'll always remember Willy Gibson from that show.

I still think some sports game shows can work. Just depends on where they are aired on TV. Streaming can do good for a show if now for regular TV.

That Don Guy

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2018, 07:46:55 PM »
I think Sports Jeopardy strikes the right balance.  I was recently at a sports bar that had this on the TV and other patrons were enjoying the play along.
Shows like Sports Genuises and Stump the Schwab were unappealing due to the heavy-handed question material.  I watch the NFL, MLB, etc. regularly, but I couldn't tell you the last ten World Series MVPs.  Watching people recite information from a list does not invite casual sports fans...and the types of people who were typically cast for those shows were not likeable.
I remember Pro-Fan in the mid-1970s IIRC, starring Charlie Jones (two athlete-and-contestant teams; the contestants answered sports questions (e.g. "How many points do you get for a touchback?"), then the answering player's athlete partner did some sort of sporting event).