Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: SUPER MILLIONAIRE OVERNIGHT RATINGS...  (Read 6147 times)

pianogeek

• LET'S PLAY!
SUPER MILLIONAIRE OVERNIGHT RATINGS...
« on: February 23, 2004, 10:45:15 AM »
Quoting from Marc Berman of Mediaweek.com

===

Since we are all wondering how Super Millionaire did I will begin by congratulating ABC for choosing the right time to bring back the game show. In addition to winning the 9 p.m. hour, Super Millionaire was the highest rated show of the evening with an 11.8/17 -- 74 percent above lead-in Extreme Makeover: Home Edition (#3: 6.8/ 9). Super Millionaire beat NBC's competing (and normally dominant) Law & Order: Criminal Intent (10.6/14) by 11 percent while lifting lead-out The Practice to a second place 7.9/12 at 10 p.m. Yes, ABC could again have something here if they take things s-l-o-w-l-y.

===

The excitement of this Millionaire return has been justified alright.
-Sanford

CaseyAbell

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2004, 11:38:40 AM »
Zap2it has posted the nationals, which are always a tad lower than the overnights. Millionaire did a 10.6/16, which was again the highest of the night on any network. The show faced tough competition from L&O and the series finale of Sex and the City.

Even the demos, always the bane of game shows, appear to have been decent. MediaLifeMagazine, which obsesses on the 18-49 demo, says that Millionaire did a "solid return." Unfortunately, they don't seem to have the numbers up yet. But Zap2it says ABC won the night in 18-49, so Millionaire couldn't have done too badly.

BTW, MediaLifeMagazine appears to think we're all born 18 years old, and we all croak on our fiftieth birthday.

EDIT: MediaLifeMagazine finally got the 18-49 numbers up. Millionaire did a very respectable 5.7 in the demo, again the highest of the night on any network. That performance pushed ABC to a very rare 18-49 win for the night. The web site notes a significant rise in the second half-hour for Millionaire, and theorizes about viewers tuning in after Sex and the City stopped sexing around.

Now will the suits be able to resist run-it-into-the-ground syndrome?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2004, 11:52:17 AM by CaseyAbell »

TV Favorites

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2004, 11:40:45 AM »
I wonder if the rest of the nights will be has high...many people probably just tuned in to see what they changes were like.  I hope the ratings stay high enough to warrant subsequent sweep weeks of the show.

GS Warehouse

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2004, 01:01:30 PM »
[quote name=\'CaseyAbell\' date=\'Feb 23 2004, 11:38 AM\'] BTW, MediaLifeMagazine appears to think we're all born 18 years old, and we all croak on our fiftieth birthday. [/quote]
That's the way all advertisers think.  We don't really die when we reach 50, but we tend not to throw our hard-earned money at just any old junk we see on TV, which would make us essentially useless to advertisers.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2004, 01:06:34 PM by GS Warehouse »

DrBear

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2004, 01:30:54 PM »
So I have three years to spend, right?

It's good to see some good game show news for a change, especially given the Pyramid-H2 double hit and nothing  new on the horizon. Although I'm sure some of the ABC suits will find some other way to explain it other than people actually liking the idea of a game show.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

weaklink75

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2004, 01:59:21 PM »
One thing to take into consideration is the fact all the rest of the shows are at 10PM Eastern, so we don't know if that will effect the audience rating.

For comparison, here are the ratings (the fast nationals from zap2it) from last week the nights it will be on, both the leader and ABC's:

Monday: CBS led with a 12.3, ABC had an 11.2 (but take that with a grain of salt, because that was the big Mel Gibson interview; the week before, ABC had the last part of a movie end with a 4.4)

Tuesday:NBC led with a 9.6, ABC had a 6.3

Thursday:NBC led with a 14.4, ABC had a 5.6

Friday:NBC led with a 7.8, ABC had a 6.2

So I'd guess if they can get 7.0's or so across the board, we'll see some sort of return in May, or even if it isn't and it's close, they'll probably decide if they went at 9 instead of 10, it would do better. The fact the rating went up in the 2nd half hour is a good sign as well.

itiparanoid13

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2004, 02:49:59 PM »
with this good of ratings, no matter what they said, i would expect to see Super Millionaire back in 2 months: 3 months tops.

CaseyAbell

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2004, 02:57:19 PM »
In fact, some advertisers are finally figuring out that money can be made from older demos. CBS explicitly targets 25-54 and seems to do okay.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2004, 02:58:56 PM by CaseyAbell »

mcd

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2004, 03:16:32 PM »
I'm more interested in the overall week's demos than just one night's:  If they go down now that the initial shock has worn off, or go up because people like the show.

Terry K

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2004, 04:14:31 PM »
If I were ABC, I'd be thinking about how to extend the millionaire franchise (eg, keep it on the air a bit)

It *was* the same millionaire that we all know and love, no question there.  The only thing I hope is tonight's show moves at a faster pace.  (eg, the explinations and so on can be minimized)

One other thing with going to the $10 million format, it effectively stops them from doing celeb episodes, or doing any run too often.  What happens if someone *does* hit the $10 million or even several someones do?  ABC may be making serious cash, but a couple big winners a month (assuming it went back to a weekly run) would definately kill the prize budget.

Why they wouldn't do a celeb version:  They'd have to come up with potentially millions for non-profit orgs and that could be rather costly.

CaseyAbell

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2004, 04:45:13 PM »
So I'd guess if they can get 7.0's or so across the board...
Well, that's a pretty low target, especially after the ten-something on Sunday against the L&O franchise and the series finale of Sex and the City. Tonight it's a tough go against CSI: Miami, which was the number five show last week. As you point out, Tuesday and Friday mean softer competition. And, of course, Friday means lower numbers for all the broadcast nets.

If Regis does double-digits (hm, sounds a little kinky) tonight, ABC is really on to something. That might be a tough ask against real competition. But I'd bet on better than a seven. We'll see soon enough.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2004, 04:51:16 PM by CaseyAbell »

starcade

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2004, 06:40:31 PM »
WOO HOO!!!!!!

Now don't oversaturate the bad boy...

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2004, 07:01:13 PM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' date=\'Feb 23 2004, 12:49 PM\'] with this good of ratings, no matter what they said, i would expect to see Super Millionaire back in 2 months: 3 months tops. [/quote]
 Expect to see it for sweeps, and sweeps only, assuming ABC learned the saturation lesson. So every three months. Maybe a two-week run for the November period.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tommycharles

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2004, 11:53:39 AM »
[quote name=\'CaseyAbell\' date=\'Feb 23 2004, 04:45 PM\'] If Regis does double-digits (hm, sounds a little kinky) tonight, ABC is really on to something. That might be a tough ask against real competition. But I'd bet on better than a seven. We'll see soon enough. [/quote]
 Not much better....fast nationals from Zap2it.com:

CBS' "CSI: Miami," 13.1/20, easily won the 10 p.m. hour and was the night's most-watched show. "Super Millionaire," 7.9/12, was off from its premiere Sunday but still put ABC in second. "Average Joe" finished up with a 6.8/11 for NBC.

CaseyAbell

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2004, 01:11:28 PM »
Millionaire didn't do too badly against strong competition. It still bettered most anything ABC tries at 10:00.

Tonight Millionaire goes against L&O: SVU (how many flipping L&O's are there?) which pulled a 9.1 last week. Millionaire could brush up against that number.

If the numbers keep going down, though, it's bad news for Regis and company. At least I won my bet last night, if only by 0.9.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2004, 01:25:57 PM by CaseyAbell »