Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Jeopardy! question...  (Read 4514 times)

Kevin Prather

Jeopardy! question...
« on: February 26, 2004, 06:33:24 PM »
When making Final Jeopardy wagers, what happens if a contestant accidentally brain-farts and wagers more than they have? Do they do FJ over again?

I know on R&R Jeopardy, one celebrity had the house minimum $1000 for FJ, and he got the question wrong, and he wagered something like $40,000, but they didn't do anything. I assume it's because he got it wrong.

goongas

Jeopardy! question...
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2004, 06:38:31 PM »
I think a producer is always with the contestant when they make their wagers, so I am sure they would notice if this happened.

Steve McClellan

Jeopardy! question...
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2004, 06:43:31 PM »
I recall seeing this once before, possibly on a celebrity episode. They treated it as if the contestant had risked everything.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Jeopardy! question...
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2004, 06:47:01 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Feb 26 2004, 04:33 PM\'] When making Final Jeopardy wagers, what happens if a contestant accidentally brain-farts and wagers more than they have? Do they do FJ over again?
 [/quote]
 I dunno if they still do the mid-break contestant plug during the FJ break, but if you'll recall when they did, you could see staffers on stage with the players as they made their wager. Ostensibly part of that procedure was to review the wagers before they came out of break to ensure they were legal.

And if something slips through, as Steve suggested, I'm sure they just treat it like the contestant farmed.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

J.R.

Jeopardy! question...
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2004, 06:57:56 PM »
Isn't that also the reason they have to put the "$" and the change in their wagers ?
(Ex: $4300.00) So that they don't try to sneak in a extra digit  during FJ ?

Speaking of, has there ever been a smartypants that risked like "$3287.65" or something like that ?

-Joe R.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2004, 06:59:54 PM by JRaygor »
-Joe Raygor

bttritle

Jeopardy! question...
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2004, 07:04:28 PM »
They no longer have the ".00" in the wagers.  During my initial run, it was necessary.  However, when I went back for the ToC, I wrote ".00" and they told me to do it again.  I did it three times before they said they wanted it without the decimal and cents.

Ben T.

clemon79

Jeopardy! question...
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2004, 07:36:15 PM »
[quote name=\'bttritle\' date=\'Feb 26 2004, 05:04 PM\'] However, when I went back for the ToC, I wrote ".00" and they told me to do it again.  I did it three times before they said they wanted it without the decimal and cents.
 [/quote]
 You'd think they could mention this the FIRST time and save everyone a lot of heartache....

zachhoran

Jeopardy! question...
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2004, 07:44:20 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Feb 26 2004, 06:47 PM\']
I dunno if they still do the mid-break contestant plug during the FJ break, but if you'll recall when they did, you could see staffers on stage with the players as they made their wager. [/quote]
 THey do a mid-break plug still, but it isn't usually a contestant plug. And they no longer show a shot of the set with staffers on stage assisting with wagers.

bttritle

Jeopardy! question...
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2004, 07:52:14 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Feb 26 2004, 04:36 PM\'] You'd think they could mention this the FIRST time and save everyone a lot of heartache.... [/quote]
 To be fair, it was the first show (that took longer than I recalled), Kathy had left the stage, so they were down to two...and they probably switched it around the same time they changed the set; they have bigger things to worry about then to figure out what the exact instructions were at the time I was there.  It wasn't a big thing.

Ben T.

gameshowguy2000

Jeopardy! question...
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2004, 08:06:59 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Feb 26 2004, 05:33 PM\'] When making Final Jeopardy wagers, what happens if a contestant accidentally brain-farts and wagers more than they have? Do they do FJ over again?

I know on R&R Jeopardy, one celebrity had the house minimum $1000 for FJ, and he got the question wrong, and he wagered something like $40,000, but they didn't do anything. I assume it's because he got it wrong. [/quote]
 I don't know if this happens on the real show, but I found out on the Deluxe Jeopardy! Hand-Held Game, you CAN end up in the red at the end of FJ.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Jeopardy! question...
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2004, 12:53:31 AM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Feb 26 2004, 08:06 PM\'] [quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Feb 26 2004, 05:33 PM\'] When making Final Jeopardy wagers, what happens if a contestant accidentally brain-farts and wagers more than they have? Do they do FJ over again?

I know on R&R Jeopardy, one celebrity had the house minimum $1000 for FJ, and he got the question wrong, and he wagered something like $40,000, but they didn't do anything. I assume it's because he got it wrong. [/quote]
I don't know if this happens on the real show, but I found out on the Deluxe Jeopardy! Hand-Held Game, you CAN end up in the red at the end of FJ. [/quote]
I'm sorry, but it time to get this off my chest.

Who cares?  We were talking about the game Jeopardy; not the board game.  This would be the same as talking about the show "Monopoly" and you [which, you probably would, in your infinite wisdom] saying something like: "In Monopoly, chance cards are worth up to $75!

Is it possible to make one post without making a sidebar comment that has little to no relevancy?

I have had some rough moments in the last 3 months--but I won't bring the specifics to the board.  My email is always open.

Not to mention that Tiger's handheld games weren't always the truest to the original format.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2004, 02:15:36 AM by Dsmith »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

J.R.

Jeopardy! question...
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2004, 01:16:05 AM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Feb 27 2004, 12:53 AM\']
Who gives a sh*t?  We were talking about the game Jeopardy; not the board game.  This would be the same as talking about the show "Monopoly" and you [which, you probably would, in your infinite wisdom] saying something like: "In Monopoly, chance cards are worth up to $75!

Is it possible to make one on topic post?

[end rant] [/quote]
Have you been going though a rough patch in your life right now ? Because your past 75 posts have been nothing but cruel, vindictice and acid-tounged words.

The guy just made an obsevation, nothing to scream over.
-Joe R.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2004, 01:16:30 AM by JRaygor »
-Joe Raygor

clemon79

Jeopardy! question...
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2004, 02:06:43 AM »
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' date=\'Feb 26 2004, 11:16 PM\'] The guy just made an obsevation, nothing to scream over.
 [/quote]
 While I have to agree that DSmith has been a little more acerbic than necessary of late, it wasn't the isolated observation that set him off, I think, so much as the continuation of a LONG STRING of asinine comments...

tyg

Jeopardy! question...
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2004, 03:17:10 AM »
According to Jennifer Wu in an interview at www.tvgameshows.net, her initial wager in game two of the Teen Tournament finals was more than she had for that day. Maggie told her she'd wagered too much, and she changed it.

Ian Wallis

Jeopardy! question...
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2004, 12:20:17 PM »
Speaking of, has there ever been a smartypants that risked like "$3287.65" or something like that ?

Not as far as I know, but there have been some odd Daily Double wagers over the years.  One contestant wanted to risk $1183 - and asked Alex "is that possible?"  Alex replied "sure, just let our keyboard operator punch it in".

Another contestant once risked $1111 on the Daily Double.

I also remember the very first time a contestant wagered $xx01 or $xx99 on Final Jeopardy and Alex seemed puzzled.  He even asked the contestant why he risked such an odd amount and he explained why.  It became commonplace after that.  This was early in the show's run, in 1984.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!