Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Rerun question  (Read 4660 times)

kurtinrod62

Rerun question
« on: February 28, 2004, 07:06:14 PM »
Besides ''The Dating Game'' (Lange version), ''The Newlywed Game'', Perry ''Card Sharks'', ''The Gong Show'', ''Match Game''79-82, and CBS ''Password'', were there any other game shows seen in reruns?

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Rerun question
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2004, 07:22:57 PM »
[quote name=\'kurtinrod62\' date=\'Feb 28 2004, 07:06 PM\'] Besides ''The Dating Game'' (Lange version), ''The Newlywed Game'', Perry ''Card Sharks'', ''The Gong Show'', ''Match Game''79-82, and CBS ''Password'', were there any other game shows seen in reruns? [/quote]
 You have got to be a little more specific then this.
Do you mean in syndication?
On cable? [There's something called Game Show Network]
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Don Howard

Rerun question
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2004, 08:24:42 PM »
[quote name=\'kurtinrod62\' date=\'Feb 28 2004, 07:06 PM\'] Besides ''The Dating Game'' (Lange version), ''The Newlywed Game'', Perry ''Card Sharks'', ''The Gong Show'', ''Match Game''79-82, and CBS ''Password'', were there any other game shows seen in reruns? [/quote]
If you mean reruns seen in syndication, the NBC affiliate in Youngstown OH ran episodes of Bullseye for six months in 1983 following 2-year old repeats of The Joker's Wild.
For nearly a year on WJKW-TV 8 in Cleveland, which carried contemporary episodes of The Joker's Wild weeknights at seven, episodes from the final year of the CBS version were shown weekdays at 9:30. After they played the last show, the following Monday offered the premiere of Play The Percentages with rules I wish they'd kept.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2004, 08:25:25 PM by Don Howard »

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Rerun question
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2004, 08:53:17 PM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Feb 28 2004, 06:22 PM\'] [quote name=\'kurtinrod62\' date=\'Feb 28 2004, 07:06 PM\'] Besides ''The Dating Game'' (Lange version), ''The Newlywed Game'', Perry ''Card Sharks'', ''The Gong Show'', ''Match Game''79-82, and CBS ''Password'', were there any other game shows seen in reruns? [/quote]
You have got to be a little more specific then this.
Do you mean in syndication?
On cable? [There's something called Game Show Network] [/quote]
 Guess we might as well mention a couple of network runs.  NBC aired CLASSIC CONCENTRATION reruns for a little more than two years, and they also aired reruns of THE MAGINIFICENT MARBLE MACHINE when the show that was to replace it wasn't ready (at least I think I have the story right).

And if I'm not mistaken, in a more limited run, both CBS and ABC reran episodes of FF (ABC running celebrity weeks, CBS running FAMILY FEUD CHALLENGE reruns for six months).

Doug -- and the countdown to 400 continues
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

adamjk

Rerun question
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2004, 09:17:59 PM »
Of course all game shows today, do reruns in the summer months.

beatlefreak84

Rerun question
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2004, 10:03:14 PM »
Hopefully, those of you in Chicago can help me out on this one:

I can distinctly remember seeing episodes of the $25K Pyramid surface on WBBM about 2-3 years after its demise.  I think they showed some classic episodes for a few Fridays in a row and then abruptly stopped (I counted 2, though there might have been more).  They did this, I believe, during my Christmas break when I was in either first or second grade, so around 1990-1991.  Even though I wasn't a big fan of the show at the time (what 6-year old kid understands "Pyramid?"  :) ), I was curious as to why it was on CBS, and so I watched it both times I could remember it being on.

Can anybody else remember this strange occurrence?

Anthony

P.S.  This is my 100th post, and it only took however many months we've been here to get it!  Chris Lemon, this is for you!  :)
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

Brandon Brooks

Rerun question
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2004, 10:30:06 PM »
 Yes.

Brandon Brooks

Jimmy Owen

Rerun question
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2004, 11:04:59 PM »
[quote name=\'beatlefreak84\' date=\'Feb 28 2004, 10:03 PM\'] Hopefully, those of you in Chicago can help me out on this one:

I can distinctly remember seeing episodes of the $25K Pyramid surface on WBBM about 2-3 years after its demise.  I think they showed some classic episodes for a few Fridays in a row and then abruptly stopped (I counted 2, though there might have been more).  They did this, I believe, during my Christmas break when I was in either first or second grade, so around 1990-1991.  Even though I wasn't a big fan of the show at the time (what 6-year old kid understands "Pyramid?"  :) ), I was curious as to why it was on CBS, and so I watched it both times I could remember it being on.

Can anybody else remember this strange occurrence?

Anthony

P.S.  This is my 100th post, and it only took however many months we've been here to get it!  Chris Lemon, this is for you!  :) [/quote]
 Those were on CBS in at least the Eastern and Central time zones for two consecutive Fridays the last two weeks of 1993 (12/24 and 31) at 2pm Eastern, 1 Central in place of 1/2 of "As the World Turns."  Both shows preceded live sports programming so stations in the west probably didn't carry the shows (Channel 2 in LA did not.) Billy Crystal and Lynn Redgrave were the guests on the then-eleven year old shows.  As far as repeats of old game shows, YBYL might have been the first to air in off-net syndication in the early 60's, then a long hiatus until around 74-75 when it was again widely aired.  Off network reruns of "You Don't Say," (NBC version) "Gambit" (CBS version)  "Blockbusters" and "Press Your Luck" were also offered, though few stations picked them up.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

ChuckNet

Rerun question
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2004, 01:07:36 PM »
For a yr or so following its cancellation, NY's WPIX (Ch. 11) aired reruns of the 70s syndie LMaD as a strip weeknights at 8(?).

During the 1981-82 season, WOR (Ch. 9) showed reruns of LMaD '80 at 4:30 AM, as well as Pitfall reruns at 12:30 AM for the last few months of 1982, after it was cancelled.

After it was cancelled in 1985, Viacom offered a "Best of (syndie) FF" package to local stations, among them the aforementioned WOR, which aired it at 8:30 PM after the news, and WVIT (Ch. 30) in Hartford, which aired it at 9 AM, followed by BtB '85.

Countless stations aired reruns of the syndie MG, among them the aforementioned WVIT  in Hartford, WNEV (Ch. 7) in Boston, and Ch. 33 in Dallas-Ft. Worth.

In 1985-86, its first year of operation, Long Island indie WLIG (TV-55, now WLNY) aired reruns of Pitfall and the Cullen Pyramid...the latter first started as a replacement for the former in its 12 noon slot, but Pitfall was soon brought back, w/Pyramid moved up a half-hour to create a nice hour of programming from 12-1.

And IIRC, a few stations aired reruns of the original Cross-Wits in the early 80s, as well.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Rerun question
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2004, 01:43:41 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Feb 29 2004, 01:07 PM\'] In 1985-86, its first year of operation, Long Island indie WLIG (TV-55, now WLNY) aired reruns of Pitfall and the Cullen Pyramid..
 [/quote]
 Really.  So they were being used up until 1986...that's interesting.  What is the status on Catalina's stuff anyhow?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

uncamark

Rerun question
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2004, 02:18:19 PM »
Also, Art Linkletter's "People Are Funny" was syndicated in the early 60s.  Like "You Bet Your Life," it was also shot on film by the same Filmcraft Productions crew.  (Videotape didn't come along until the late 50s.)

zachhoran

Rerun question
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2004, 02:29:35 PM »
Some shows not mentioned:

A Canuck-based station gave SUper Pay Cards an almost-decade long run in reruns after it was cancelled. Canuck stations probably reran other Canuck-based shows seen in the US.

WPXI in Pittsburgh aired reruns of Bullseye in SUmmer 1984, and WKBS in Philly(the original beloved Channel 48) aired Bullseye reruns in Spring 1982.

WCAU in Philly aired the syndie Split Second in 1987-88 after it was cancelled, and five weeks worth of Sparks Crosswits in Summer 1988.

Besides Newlywed, Dating and Gong Show, some stations aired reruns of 70s and 80s Treasure Hunt(WNBC did for a time) in the mid-80s, and WPTT in Pittsburgh is one station that aired $1.98 Beauty show reruns in 1985.

We reported last month that a station in California aired a two hour block of Viacom based syndie shows in the early 80s: Cullen Pyramid, Syndie WML, James/Barker syndie TPIR, and $128K Question

A few stations aired reruns of Marshall HS in the early 1980s.

I think WWOR in NYC aired Narz Concentration for a time after it was cancelled.

Love Connection reruns popped up in some cities in 1994-95, after the show was axed. SOme stations aired a double run of LC before this, with one of the episodes being a rerun from a previous season.

WNBC aired reruns of the original Scrabble for about five months after NBC axed the series.

We reported that at least one station aired reruns of 80s Tattletales after it was axed.

If only there were still room for game show reruns on local stations' schedules, I guess we can thank the birth of Fox for that.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2004, 02:31:05 PM by zachhoran »

rugrats1

Rerun question
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2004, 04:15:01 PM »
And IIRC, a few stations aired reruns of the original Cross-Wits in the early 80s, as well.

WCAU in Philly aired ... five weeks worth of Sparks Crosswits in Summer 1988.

I recall someone mentioning that AIN, a nationwide network of mainly-low-powered TV stations, also carried the Sparks Crosswits on the schedule at least a couple of years ago.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2004, 04:15:46 PM by rugrats1 »

Jimmy Owen

Rerun question
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2004, 04:53:40 PM »
WCBS tried to ride the coattails of FF when they scheduled reruns of the 74-75 "Masquerade Party" in the 78-79 season in prime access.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

BrandonFG

Rerun question
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2004, 05:02:57 PM »
 Can we count previous season reruns of Wheel and Jeopardy! when they air on weekends?
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!