Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Treasure Hunt revival  (Read 3820 times)

bulldog_06

Treasure Hunt revival
« on: March 03, 2004, 11:01:15 PM »
I was wondering would Treasure Hunt work on network TV or syndication today. If it would, would any changes need to be made?

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Treasure Hunt revival
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2004, 01:59:02 AM »
[quote name=\'bulldog_06\' date=\'Mar 3 2004, 11:01 PM\'] I was wondering would Treasure Hunt work on network TV or syndication today. If it would, would any changes need to be made? [/quote]
 Make it a reality show!  Place sixteen castaways in a remote location...and cut off their access to television, food, etc.  The winner gets $1,000,000, but you have to be the last one standing.

Oh wait....
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Craig Karlberg

Treasure Hunt revival
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2004, 05:23:31 AM »
Here's my idea for a syndicated version:

Usee the 1981 format for the daily portions of the show with 66 boxes & a daily top prize of $25,000.  That ammount is added to the weekly pot wich starts at $100,000 & grows $25,000 a day untill it is won.

As far as contestants, in addition to a female section, I was thinking maybe incorporate a "male" section so each sex has an equal shot at the top prize.  The preliminary rounds will have females openning their purses where someone has hidden a $100 bill in 3 of them while the guys will open something like a tackle box.  Those 3 winners will then compete for a chance to play a "Showdown" type round against a reigning champion for the right to play for the top daily prize.

The showdown winner will then choose one of the 66 boxes to see if there's the top prize, a nice prize or EVEN a klunker.  Whatever happens, the champ keeps playing untill defeated.  There are 2 rounds per day with the ladies going first.

On Fridays, the top winner of the week will have a chance to pick one of 15 treasure chests.  One of which is the weekly top prize while the others have really extravagant prizes starting at $10,000.

At the end of the season, the top 4 moneywinners will play for $1 million.  The same 15 treasure chests will be there however, ONLY one chest will contain the big prize while the others will be empty.  Gameplay will follow the daily format minus the preliminaries with the showdown winner IMMEDIATELY goes to the treasure chests.  If an empty chest is opened, it is eliminated from further play.  The tournament will be played on a rotational basis untill someone wins it all.

Don Howard

Treasure Hunt revival
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2004, 09:11:06 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Mar 4 2004, 05:23 AM\'] That amount is added to the weekly pot which starts at $100,000 & grows $25,000 a day until it is won.

[/quote]
 Nice idea (especially if you let me play and I call the right treasure chest), but I smell quick bankruptcy.

aaron sica

Treasure Hunt revival
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2004, 09:49:32 AM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Mar 4 2004, 01:59 AM\']
Make it a reality show!  Place sixteen castaways in a remote location...and cut off their access to television, food, etc.  The winner gets $1,000,000, but you have to be the last one standing.

Oh wait.... [/quote]
 I have a better idea! Why not put them in a house, and cut off their communication to the outside world, and vote one out every week.

Jimmy Owen

Treasure Hunt revival
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2004, 09:57:42 AM »
At one time, $10,000 was the standard top prize in game shows, then $25,000.  The new standard is $1,000,000, so if the show has an chance of viability, that would have to be the top prize.  The tension would be enormous.  Only women as contestants with 128 boxes to choose from.  To allow for today's type of host there would be only one skit per show to memorize and it would be played out no matter what the prize. All shows would be self contained.  There are no network daytime slots available and syndication wouldn't get good slots, so this would have to be a prime time show with a snarky host which would initially run as a four week test and returning if the ratings are good as a sweeps stunt.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Brandon Brooks

Treasure Hunt revival
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2004, 10:38:45 AM »
Usee the 1981 format for the daily portions of the show with 66 boxes & a daily top prize of $25,000. That ammount is added to the weekly pot wich starts at $100,000 & grows $25,000 a day untill it is won.

Whoops.  You made too early of a misstep.  So you're saying that as a remake of a TV show that hadn't been on in over 20 years I have to give out *at least* $2,600,000 a season.  That would make me very weary of picking it up.

Brandon Brooks
« Last Edit: March 04, 2004, 10:39:04 AM by Brandon Brooks »

dzinkin

Treasure Hunt revival
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2004, 10:44:45 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Mar 4 2004, 09:57 AM\'] Only women as contestants [/quote]
 Uh oh, now you've done it... :-D

aaron sica

Treasure Hunt revival
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2004, 10:58:35 AM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Mar 4 2004, 10:44 AM\'] [quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Mar 4 2004, 09:57 AM\'] Only women as contestants [/quote]
Uh oh, now you've done it... :-D [/quote]
 Yeppers...I just looked out the window and saw a silhouette of someone on a broom with a witch's hat on, far, far in the distance...

tommycharles

Treasure Hunt revival
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2004, 01:16:06 PM »
Treasure Hunt (at least in my limited exposure to it)'s success is entirely down to the host. The game itself won't hold *anyone's* attention...the host has to do that. Would it work again today? I'm gonna say...no.

dmota104

Treasure Hunt revival
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2004, 01:20:44 PM »
TH then wouldn't work now.  It's just *way* too dependent on luck (well...OK, so was LMaD...but still).

IF TH were to be revived, there'd have to be a Q&A element a la the Jan Murray days from the '50s.  Winner of the quiz would then go on to pick one out of the (insert preferred max here) packages and either take the money in the cash award envelope or take the box.  

The whole thing could easily last a half hour.  Ten minutes or so of quiz, another 10 for picking a box, skit, prize, etc.  Throw in the necessary time for commercials, a minute or so with Emile Autouri II and we're done.

tommycharles

Treasure Hunt revival
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2004, 01:22:59 PM »
[quote name=\'dmota104\' date=\'Mar 4 2004, 01:20 PM\'] TH then wouldn't work now.  It's just *way* too dependent on luck (well...OK, so was LMaD...but still).

[/quote]
 I think that proves your point, actually. Deal lasted what, 3 weeks?

inturnaround

Treasure Hunt revival
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2004, 01:41:27 PM »
[quote name=\'tommycharles\' date=\'Mar 4 2004, 01:22 PM\'] [quote name=\'dmota104\' date=\'Mar 4 2004, 01:20 PM\'] TH then wouldn't work now.  It's just *way* too dependent on luck (well...OK, so was LMaD...but still).

[/quote]
I think that proves your point, actually. Deal lasted what, 3 weeks? [/quote]
Don't think for a moment that just because LMaD failed as a primetime network show that it wouldn't work again syndicated. I think it might have done very well as a syndie strip.

It wouldn't have been the same show as the one that hit NBC either. Certain changes made on the show to make it "PRIME TIME" also weakened it. But it still could work.

A lot of shows of the past can still work today. TH is not one of them, though.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2004, 01:42:13 PM by inturnaround »
Joe Coughlin     
Human

Mike Tennant

Treasure Hunt revival
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2004, 01:58:54 PM »
[quote name=\'inturnaround\' date=\'Mar 4 2004, 01:41 PM\']Don't think for a moment that just because LMaD failed as a primetime network show that it wouldn't work again syndicated. I think it might have done very well as a syndie strip.[/quote]
I would really like to believe this, and yet none of the revival attempts since the original network run has been particularly successful.  At best we got two years of TANLMAD, and that one had Monty from beginning to end (unlike the Hilton and Bush versions).  I'm beginning to think that LMAD, good as it was, was a show for a particular time and place, and that time and place have passed.  That's too bad, but it may be the case.

TravisP

Treasure Hunt revival
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2004, 03:12:20 PM »
Rip out the old format and replace it with the British format of the same name, have two contestants a host and some hot chick running around helping the contestants solve clues in a different location via chopper .
Having a state being covered entirely for each week (5 shows) would give you 50 Weeks worth of Syndie episodes, or perhaps for Network TV have one state being filmed per week.
Once covered the whole country the show could be filmed in different locations as the UK covered Australia, New Zealand and US areas of New Orleans, San Fransisco last year part of a revival on the BBC.