Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Match Game pilot/runthrough episode  (Read 6640 times)

tvrandywest

Match Game pilot/runthrough episode
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2004, 09:56:19 PM »
[quote name=\'geno57\' date=\'Mar 15 2004, 06:31 PM\'] But he says he's going by the Varese Saraband CD insert, which couldn't possibly be incorrect. (But it is.) [/quote]
There are 2 Varese Saraband CDs:

"Classic TV Game Show Themes" doesn't contain "A Swingin' Safari" . It simply has an error in the liner notes that discuss the history of "The Match Game".

"The Best of Quiz & Game Show Themes" has the cut and correctly states that it is composed and performed by Bert Kaempfert.

Now take out your magnifying glass and look for my name under "special thanks" in the acknowledgements on the CD that got it right!   ;-)

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: March 15, 2004, 10:00:48 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2004, 01:28:53 AM »
The first Score Productions music cue I ever heard was bumper music for the Telephone Match segment. Thus ended G-T's association with Bob Cobert for what, almost two decades?

100 bucks would be added to the kitty, each day there was no winner.
So in your example, the next two contestants would play for $86,000,100, right?

Classic TV Game Show Themes incorrectly lists Norman Paris as the composer of Plink Plank Plunk. The actual composer was the prolific Leroy Anderson:

http://www.classicthemes.com/50sTVThemes/t...GotASecret.html

http://www.pbs.org/sleighride/Video&Music/...kplankplunk.htm

http://www.leroy-anderson.com/html/biography.htm

I'm having trouble placing the words "neener-neener-boo-boo" with Norman Paris' IGAS theme. Would the phrase "piccolo march" be an apt description? Anyhoo, on the IGAS theme page linked to above it says "The Theme from 'A Summer Place'" was used for the 1961 - 1962 season. Can anyone here vouch for this? If it's the same composition I'm thinking of, it's a schmaltzy, syrupy piece for strings that falls so squarely into the genre of "dentist's office music" that you can practically hear the drill and smell the novocaine -- not something you'd use to get a game show started.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2004, 01:30:19 AM by chris319 »

MCArroyo1

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2004, 09:27:56 AM »
Anyhoo, on the IGAS theme page linked to above it says "The Theme from 'A Summer Place'" was used for the 1961 - 1962 season. Can anyone here vouch for this?
Yep, it lasted for about a year.  It was in a faster, big band style, and actually sounded pretty good.

DrBear

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2004, 01:28:17 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Mar 16 2004, 12:28 AM\'] I'm having trouble placing the words "neener-neener-boo-boo" with Norman Paris' IGAS theme. Would the phrase "piccolo march" be an apt description?
 [/quote]
 T'would be another way to describe it, yas.
It's the one used during the late Garry Moore period with the logo of I'VE GOT A in big dark letters and SECRET flashing in the crossbar of the A. (Usually brought to you by General Foods.)

Would "nyah-na-na-NAA-na" be more appropriate?
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

GSWitch

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2004, 02:24:54 PM »
Here's how The Telephone Game went for example.

In the middle of the show, a telephone rang on Gene's podium.

(Phone rings)
JOHNNY:  Gene Rayburn, the telephone is ringing!

Gene rushed over to the phone & answers it.

GENE:  Hello, are we speaking to Larry from Corsicana, Texas?
LARRY:  You sure are.
GENE:  Well if you match what Mrs. Anita Colin wrote on her card, you will split a jackpot that is @ $2,400!  Ready?
LARRY:  Sure am.
GENE:  Fruit ________.  You got 10 seconds to think that over.

When the time expires...

GENE:  OK Larry, please gives us an answer to our fill in.  Fruit __________.
LARRY:  FRUITCAKE!
(audience moans & booes)
GENE:  What would you have said?
(Audience yells out various stuff)
GENE:  I heard salad, cobbler, & loops.  LOOPS?  Anyway, Mrs. Colin, for $2,400, what did you say?

Mrs. Colin flips the card over to reveal........CAKE!  The audience applauds while the FAMOUS ship's bell rings.  Gene suddenly hears Larry doing his Curly cry!  Mrs. Colin comes down on stage & talks to Larry thaking him!

GENE:  What's with all the hoopla about fruitcake?
LARRY:  Corsicana's famous its fruitcakes around Christmas!
GENE:  Guess you live in a fruitcake home (LOL)!  What are you going to do with $1,200?
LARRY:  Store it away like a squirrel does its nuts!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2004, 02:26:15 PM by GSWitch »

alfonzos

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2004, 04:07:00 PM »
The tape arrived yesterday and I watched it. The Match Game was interesting and fun to watch. Twice during the episode I could glimpse someone barely in the camera frame and running around backstage.

BTW, The Eye Guess episode shows ample evidence of Bill Cullen's genius. He cracked wise with contestants and the announcer, Jack Clark.

Ah, those were the good old days.

Alfonzo Smith
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

Tony

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2004, 05:47:30 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Mar 16 2004, 01:28 AM\']Classic TV Game Show Themes incorrectly lists Norman Paris as the composer of Plink Plank Plunk. The actual composer was the prolific Leroy Anderson:

http://www.leroy-anderson.com/html/biography.htm[/quote]
I've had my copy of Classic TV Game Show Themes since about October 2002, and it doesn't even have the IGAS theme.  I don't know if this change of tracks is/was common among the batch(es) of the CD pressed when mine was, but I suppose the mis-credit on the IGAS theme in earlier pressings might have something to do with it.

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2004, 05:50:44 PM »
[quote name=\'Tony\' date=\'Mar 16 2004, 06:47 PM\'] [quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Mar 16 2004, 01:28 AM\']Classic TV Game Show Themes incorrectly lists Norman Paris as the composer of Plink Plank Plunk. The actual composer was the prolific Leroy Anderson:

http://www.leroy-anderson.com/html/biography.htm[/quote]
I've had my copy of Classic TV Game Show Themes since about October 2002, and it doesn't even have the IGAS theme.  I don't know if this change of tracks is/was common among the batch(es) of the CD pressed when mine was, but I suppose the mis-credit on the IGAS theme in earlier pressings might have something to do with it. [/quote]
 Mine doesn't either---it only has 19 tracks, the IGAS theme missing.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2004, 08:42:14 PM »
Would "nyah-na-na-NAA-na" be more appropriate?
That's better. You were adding an extra beat in your other version.

Bizarre about some CDs not containing Plink Plank Plunk.

Winkfan

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2004, 12:00:44 AM »
I've had my copy of Classic TV Game Show Themes since about October 2002, and it doesn't even have the IGAS theme.  I don't know if this change of tracks is/was common among the batch(es) of the CD pressed when mine was, but I suppose the mis-credit on the IGAS theme in earlier pressings might have something to do with it.
Mine doesn't either---it only has 19 tracks, the IGAS theme missing.
My own copy of the 1st Game Show Themes CD (which I've had since 1998) does have the original IGaS theme on there. Either that theme was pulled from later copies, or you probably have your CDs confused.

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--the 'Nancy Myers of the Big Board!'
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 11:52:38 PM by Winkfan »
In Loving Memory: Dolores "Roxanne" Rosedale (1929-2024) & Peter Marshall (1926-2024)

Tony

« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2004, 01:57:27 PM »
[quote name=\'Winkfan\' date=\'Mar 17 2004, 12:00 AM\'] [quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Mar 16 2004, 02:50 PM\'] [quote name=\'Tony\' date=\'Mar 16 2004, 06:47 PM\']
I've had my copy of Classic TV Game Show Themes since about October 2002, and it doesn't even have the IGAS theme.  I don't know if this change of tracks is/was common among the batch(es) of the CD pressed when mine was, but I suppose the mis-credit on the IGAS theme in earlier pressings might have something to do with it. [/quote]
Mine doesn't either---it only has 19 tracks, the IGAS theme missing. [/quote]
My own copy of the 1st Game Show Themes CD (which I've had since 1998) does have the original IGaS theme on there. Either that theme was pulled from later copies, or you probably have your CDs confused.

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--the 'Nancy Myers of the Big Board!' [/quote]
 I can't speak for Mr. Davidson, but I am absolutely, 100% sure that my CD is the first volume, Classic TV Game Show Themes.  I don't even have the second one, called The Best of TV Quiz and Game Show Themes.

Like I said before, my copy was (probably) pressed in 2002.  According to you, yours was pressed in 1998, the year the CD was first issued.  Therefore I state with relative confidence that "Plink Plank Plunk" was pulled from later pressings if the first CD, and with absolute confidence that I do not have my CDs confused.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2004, 02:21:27 PM »
I'd be astonished if they had an additional pressing in 2002.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2004, 02:27:20 PM »
I guess with the direction that GSN is now going in, we can probably give up hope of ever having a third CD??...
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

uncamark

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2004, 03:53:48 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Mar 17 2004, 02:27 PM\']I guess with the direction that GSN is now going in, we can probably give up hope of ever having a third CD??...[/quote]
Varese Sarabande doesn't need to have GSN's cooperation to continue the series--they could just release a third volume without GSN logos or graphics on the package.

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2004, 04:18:29 PM »
[quote name=\'Tony\' date=\'Mar 17 2004, 02:57 PM\'] [quote name=\'Winkfan\' date=\'Mar 17 2004, 12:00 AM\'] [quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Mar 16 2004, 02:50 PM\'] [quote name=\'Tony\' date=\'Mar 16 2004, 06:47 PM\']
I've had my copy of Classic TV Game Show Themes since about October 2002, and it doesn't even have the IGAS theme.  I don't know if this change of tracks is/was common among the batch(es) of the CD pressed when mine was, but I suppose the mis-credit on the IGAS theme in earlier pressings might have something to do with it. [/quote]
Mine doesn't either---it only has 19 tracks, the IGAS theme missing. [/quote]

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--the 'Nancy Myers of the Big Board!' [/quote]
I can't speak for Mr. Davidson, but I am absolutely, 100% sure that my CD is the first volume, Classic TV Game Show Themes.  I don't even have the second one, called The Best of TV Quiz and Game Show Themes.

Like I said before, my copy was (probably) pressed in 2002.  According to you, yours was pressed in 1998, the year the CD was first issued.  Therefore I state with relative confidence that "Plink Plank Plunk" was pulled from later pressings if the first CD, and with absolute confidence that I do not have my CDs confused. [/quote]
 I'm looking at both of them right now. The second has twenty tracks, MG6x through Rock and Roll Jeopardy. The first one only has 19, WoF to Chain Reaction. Missing is indeed the IGAS Plink Plank Plunk theme. Mine has a 1998 copyright but I bought it in 2002.