Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Same show, different open  (Read 2372 times)

MikeK

• Martha!
Same show, different open
« on: July 16, 2024, 07:48:17 AM »
Talking last night with someone who will be on The 1% Club, I discovered that the FOX airing of The 1% Club has a different open than the same episode on Amazon Prime.  Is this unique to just this show airing on both linear TV and streaming?

I'm not talking about shows which had different opening sequences during its season/run, e.g. Match Game in 1998.

carlisle96

Re: Same show, different open
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2024, 11:53:08 AM »
Talking last night with someone who will be on The 1% Club, I discovered that the FOX airing of The 1% Club has a different open than the same episode on Amazon Prime.  Is this unique to just this show airing on both linear TV and streaming?

I'm not talking about shows which had different opening sequences during its season/run, e.g. Match Game in 1998.
Not as contemporary, but Groucho's You Bet Your Life had several openings, but much of that depended on who was the sponsor. What's My Line also had different openings throughout its network run

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2024, 03:53:23 PM »
Again, I am not talking over a show's run.  I am talking about individual installments.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2024, 05:23:22 PM »
To illustrate Mike's point: The 1% Club on Fox has a studio announcer doing the opening spiel over a video montage, and introducing Patton Oswalt. That same episode on Amazon Prime has Patton giving the whole spiel without the video montage.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2024, 08:01:05 PM »
Again, I am not talking over a show's run.  I am talking about individual installments.

But honestly, how often would this scenario even come up?
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2024, 08:40:34 PM »
This could be the first time we've had a game show in a sort-of Andy of Mayberry scenario...how The Andy Griffith Show took that title when it reran in daytime, to help distinguish old episodes from new ones. I'm sure this new intro is done to meet network needs or desires.

The only thing that comes to mind, which begs a question of GSN viewers here: are they recutting hour-long Michael Strahan Pyramid episodes into half hours for Game Show Network? Does that mean some shows that were once given the "continuing the hour" intro now have the "top of the show" intro instead?

-Jason

Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2024, 09:03:41 PM »
Did Monty's Split Second have some CanCon the US didn't see?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Nick

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2024, 09:22:48 PM »
Did Monty's Split Second have some CanCon the US didn't see?

It had some con, though as far as the opening went, I believe both were the same.
It was a golden age of daytime network television... Game Shows... Hosted by people who actually knew that the game was the star... And I wish it was still that way - both that game shows were on all morning and that they were hosted by actual game show hosts. - Bob Purse, Inches Per Second

Clay Zambo

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2024, 10:13:03 PM »
The only thing that comes to mind, which begs a question of GSN viewers here: are they recutting hour-long Michael Strahan Pyramid episodes into half hours for Game Show Network? Does that mean some shows that were once given the "continuing the hour" intro now have the "top of the show" intro instead?

You probably knew this, but "continuing the hour" and "starting the show" intros were taped for every episode.
czambo@mac.com

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2024, 10:36:57 PM »
Price's Veteran's Day daytime show from 2008 was aired in primetime, and it had a different opening that night than it did when it reran in daytime during the summer.  They added a montage of clips, cut off the opening titles, and had Rich record a different opening spiel.