Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The original Twenty-One  (Read 1715 times)

Adam Nedeff

Re: The original Twenty-One
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2024, 06:09:08 PM »
Is there a kinescope of the giant set? Was it even used on air? One little clue is that the "giant" set, above, has the word "GERITOL" on it, so they clearly had a sponsor and possibly a network.

Also, in the picture of the "giant" set above, what are the little gizmos sitting on top of the enclosures that house the score readouts?
Yes, as I said, the "giant" set is in the second episode, and I've seen the kinescope. The gizmo on top of the score readouts is a light indicating that the contestant's headset is open--and it's redundant, because the marquees hanging over the doors are the "on the air" signs for this version of the set.

carlisle96

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2024, 01:04:47 PM »
Is there a kinescope of the giant set? Was it even used on air? One little clue is that the "giant" set, above, has the word "GERITOL" on it, so they clearly had a sponsor and possibly a network.

Also, in the picture of the "giant" set above, what are the little gizmos sitting on top of the enclosures that house the score readouts?
Yes, as I said, the "giant" set is in the second episode, and I've seen the kinescope. The gizmo on top of the score readouts is a light indicating that the contestant's headset is open--and it's redundant, because the marquees hanging over the doors are the "on the air" signs for this version of the set.

Were all question cards stored in Barry's podium? I figure there would have to be at least 44 of them loaded in it per game and even if it was a fixed contest with all the questions and points decided in advance, was Barry prepared to ask a one or two point question if a contestant asks for one? It always seems he's reading from the same card for every question.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2024, 01:32:02 PM »
I think you could have eleven questions on a significantly large card. I certainly would not want Jack to have to remember lines as if he were in a stage play--even if you're only ever asking two questions, put them on paper as a failsafe.
Travis L. Eberle