Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Password thoughts  (Read 6884 times)

inturnaround

Password thoughts
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2004, 04:41:58 AM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' date=\'Mar 25 2004, 01:32 AM\'] I think, given the current market conditions, the best chance would be an hour of prime time, straddling. [/quote]
 What? No way, man. There's just no possible way that any network (especially under current market conditions) would consider Password as a primetime minute let alone an hour.

I mean, really, what would lead you to believe that any network would ever do such a thing? It would be completely out of left field. Granted, maybe Michael Eisner would put it on ABC if he felt he was going to really be ousted from all positions of authority in the company as a final "screw you" to shareholders, but there's enough oversight to prevent that from happening.

Maybe if people across the nation start worshipping Allen Ludden for some reason, then they'd consider it. Heck, maybe they'd even get a Ludden-bot to do it. But that's probably the most likely scenerio for it to ever happen.
Joe Coughlin     
Human

geno57

Password thoughts
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2004, 09:19:19 AM »
I don't remember where I found it, but a couple of years ago, there was an official online Password game that could be played in chatrooms with others. I tried to play one evening, but couldn't find a single player who wanted to go by anything even remotely resembling Password's rules.

Everyone, and I do mean everyone, was using multi-word clues, even using whole sentences as clues. Several people also felt it necessary to give the initial, or even several letters, of the Password.

After about a half-hour of trying to find decent players, I gave up.

I can just picture the new TV version.

"The password is FOOT. Ryan Seacrest, first clue."

SOAP STAR: "I'm, like, six this tall."

CONTESTANT: "Meters?"

SOAP STAR: "No, it begins with an F and ends with a T."

CONTESTANT: "Fart?"

(Audience laughter)

HOST (Ryan Seacrest): "Yes! We'll give it to you! Ten points!"

zachhoran

Password thoughts
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2004, 09:32:20 AM »
[quote name=\'geno57\' date=\'Mar 25 2004, 09:19 AM\'] I don't remember where I found it, but a couple of years ago, there was an official online Password game that could be played in chatrooms with others. I tried to play one evening, but couldn't find a single player who wanted to go by anything even remotely resembling Password's rules.

Everyone, and I do mean everyone, was using multi-word clues, even using whole sentences as clues. Several people also felt it necessary to give the initial, or even several letters, of the Password.

After about a half-hour of trying to find decent players, I gave up.

(Audience laughter)

HOST (Ryan Seacrest): "Yes! We'll give it to you! Ten points!" [/quote]
 I think it was on Uproar.com, who also had/have a Feud, To Tell the Truth, Name that Tune, and MG7x online game on their site at one point. The UK equivalent of the site had a Catch Phrase game as I recall.

mbclev

Password thoughts
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2004, 10:58:48 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Mar 24 2004, 04:00 PM\'] As for "Password" coming back, it's now been off for 15 years (longer than any other time in its history).  Back in '89, I'm sure the producers probably thought it would have come back before now, but since the televison landscape has changed since then, would a format like that work today? [/quote]
 I read in an earlier thread that Pearson TV was thinking of bringing back Password in, I think, 1998, but that never happened.

Jimmy Owen

Password thoughts
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2004, 11:08:08 AM »
[quote name=\'geno57\' date=\'Mar 25 2004, 09:19 AM\']

(Audience laughter)

HOST (Ryan Seacrest): "Yes! We'll give it to you! Ten points!" [/quote]
 "....and the name of the game is....'Gasword!'"
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Tony

Password thoughts
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2004, 04:02:54 PM »
It may be overly obvious to some, but what I take from this whole thread is:

Password will NEVER AGAIN return to television.

Sad to say, of course, but...

uncamark

Password thoughts
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2004, 04:11:50 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Mar 24 2004, 06:16 PM\']A trend in the Englishlanguage thanks to theInternet is that peopletendtosmush wordstogetherintoone. This isbecause youcanthavespaces in a URL forexample the URL for "General Electric" is actually generalelectric. This would makeitharder to judge Password if somebodythought "mashedpotatoes" was a valid onewordclue. It's not but theremaybe peoplewho spellitthatwaynow.[/quote]
And besides, Michael Davies already did that show.  Didn't work.  :)

inturnaround

Password thoughts
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2004, 05:14:00 PM »
[quote name=\'Tony\' date=\'Mar 25 2004, 04:02 PM\'] It may be overly obvious to some, but what I take from this whole thread is:

Password will NEVER AGAIN return to television.

Sad to say, of course, but... [/quote]
 Never? Never is a long time, man. I'm sure there were people who said that 21 would never come back, but it did.

Password is a good, solid game and there is a place for it. Just where and when that is is up for debate, but I refuse to believe that it's forever dead. It may not be today or tomorrow, but sometime somewhere, I'm sure the format will get another look.
Joe Coughlin     
Human

JMFabiano

Password thoughts
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2004, 06:09:50 PM »
[quote name=\'ITSBRY\' date=\'Mar 24 2004, 05:21 PM\']
But there is a chance for success on FOX if the champ's playing of the lightning round involved real lightning. ;-)

YES! and the next incarnation of "High Rollers" should have contestants with high tech heart monitor devices strapped INSIDE a huge pair of tranparent dice. After they're rolled down a hill (we'll call it the "extreme dice table") and the number is removed, someone is voted off, forced to eat cow guts and dropped through a floor while being subjected to a plethora of cleverly worded barbs from a snooty English host.

Ok, where can I pick up my Executive Producer's name plate? :-D

ITSBRY
itsbry@juno.com [/quote]
 No, no, no, no, no...to account for the "High," Jason Mewes will be hosting the show.  What's more, the numbers in the main game and the Big Numbers will now include a zero, the catch being if you roll a four and a two, you can receive the elusive 420 Jackpot (emphasis on "pot," of course).
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

Fedya

Password thoughts
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2004, 10:14:46 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Mar 24 2004, 04:28 PM\'] I beleave Inglish iz a dyeing langwage amung the masss awediance - Most peeple's vokabulery iz so limmitted that the newances of words' meenings and yoosages necesary to plaay the game goodly wood be mising, ore bee beyond the grasp of moost vyooers. [/quote]
 Is all your TPIR copy written like this to help you pronounce things correctly?  :-p

(On a more serious note, when I was a newsreader for the college radio station back in the day, the AP wire writers would dutifully put hyphens in between each letter of an abbreviation, eg. C-B-S, to make certain people wouldn't try to pronounce abbreviations as actual words.)
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at <a href=\"http://justacineast.blogspot.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://justacineast.blogspot.com/[/url]

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Password thoughts
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2004, 10:36:57 PM »
Password is a good, solid game and there is a place for it. Just where and when that is is up for debate, but I refuse to believe that it's forever dead. It may not be today or tomorrow, but sometime somewhere, I'm sure the format will get another look.
Public television.

The Ol' Guy

Password thoughts
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2004, 10:57:40 PM »
You have to say something for the cosmopolitan types that Mark Goodson picked to entertain us on his shows - those 50s and 60s panelists and celebrities on his more cerebral games like Password were well-educated, refined, and interested in a wide variety of things, which lifted up the quality of the conversation and often educated us as well as entertained us. We could use a few more of them today, but they'd be considered "square" - but more likely they would be a threat to others' shallowness.
If you don't think english is a dying language - try finding a decent new creative word game on your store shelves today. After Scrabble, Boggle and Upwords, most games made by the majors are geared for spoken vs. written or spelled communication - or at least games that incur no penalties for incorrect spelling, like Scattergories. And they work with limited vocabularies instead of building them. Before somebody says "Balderdash", what are the odds those game words could get worked easily into everyday conversation and common usage? Still, I'm glad Password is back and a good seller again. What would you think of Password brought back sometime in the future as a young person's show - ages 12-15 - with the best and the brightest like the high school quiz bowls - rewarding them for their love of words? Chris is probably on the right track...a franchise for local PBS stations??
« Last Edit: March 25, 2004, 11:04:25 PM by The Ol' Guy »

Don Howard

Password thoughts
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2004, 04:02:20 AM »
[quote name=\'geno57\' date=\'Mar 25 2004, 09:19 AM\'] I don't remember where I found it, but a couple of years ago, there was an official online Password game that could be played in chatrooms with others. I tried to play one evening, but couldn't find a single player who wanted to go by anything even remotely resembling Password's rules.

[/quote]
 I gave that site a whirl myself a few years ago and in the chat area, I even remarked that the clues being given were highly illegal. The community response: "We do whatever it takes to win". I then left the advertising market's coveted target audience to their Shirley Bernstein-approved style of game play and never returned.

Tony

Password thoughts
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2004, 01:50:01 PM »
[quote name=\'inturnaround\' date=\'Mar 25 2004, 05:14 PM\'] I'm sure there were people who said that 21 would never come back, but it did.[/quote]
True, but Twenty One was extremely dumbed-down for its 2000 revival (never mind the original "smarted-up" version being rigged).  If, as you say, Password will be back on the air someday, it stands little chance of being played with the same intelligent game play we know and love. Unless, of course, it reappearance is on public television, as Mr. Clementson suggested.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2004, 01:51:29 PM by Tony »

BrandonFG

Password thoughts
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2004, 02:06:29 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Mar 26 2004, 04:02 AM\'] [quote name=\'geno57\' date=\'Mar 25 2004, 09:19 AM\'] I don't remember where I found it, but a couple of years ago, there was an official online Password game that could be played in chatrooms with others. I tried to play one evening, but couldn't find a single player who wanted to go by anything even remotely resembling Password's rules.

[/quote]
I gave that site a whirl myself a few years ago and in the chat area, I even remarked that the clues being given were highly illegal. The community response: "We do whatever it takes to win". I then left the advertising market's coveted target audience to their Shirley Bernstein-approved style of game play and never returned. [/quote]
 I remember the Uproar game as well, and the blatant illegal clues annoyed me as well. The thing is, I don't think anyone in the chat rooms had any idea about the hook of Password: single-word clues.

The ones that always annoyed me were those who'd give fill-in-the-blank clues, just like the ones Geno did in his parody.

Password is: PRICE

Clue: The ___ Is Right
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!