Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: NBC NY Concentration  (Read 2328 times)

kurtinrod62

NBC NY Concentration
« on: March 30, 2004, 01:24:34 PM »
Does anyone know what happened on the last episode of the original NBC NY Concentration a little more than 31 years ago? I know from reading the EOTVGS that the last puzzle was ''You've Been More Than Kind,'' but did host Bob Clayton make a speech? And, if he did, I'd like to know how it went.

calliaume

NBC NY Concentration
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2004, 02:26:58 PM »
[quote name=\'kurtinrod62\' date=\'Mar 30 2004, 01:24 PM\'] Does anyone know what happened on the last episode of the original NBC NY Concentration a little more than 31 years ago? I know from reading the EOTVGS that the last puzzle was ''You've Been More Than Kind,'' but did host Bob Clayton make a speech? And, if he did, I'd like to know how it went. [/quote]
 Given the tape isn't in existence as far as we know, and anyone who would remember it would have to be at least in their upper 30s or older, I doubt anyone posting to this board would remember.  (I would have been in my 5th grade classes that Friday.)

Jimmy Owen

NBC NY Concentration
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2004, 02:33:18 PM »
I was in school then as well, but I'll bet Bob didn't mention that he got a job with a new show on CBS to debut two days later in the same time slot.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

BrandonFG

NBC NY Concentration
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2004, 03:15:23 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Mar 30 2004, 02:33 PM\'] I was in school then as well, but I'll bet Bob didn't mention that he got a job with a new show on CBS to debut two days later in the same time slot. [/quote]
Was G-T aware of the upcoming syndie version at the time?
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

davemackey

NBC NY Concentration
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2004, 05:34:42 PM »
Had to have been. I think NBC's cancellation gave G-T and Jim Victory a rare opportunity.

During the 1972-1973 school year, our school was on split session and we went to school in the afternoon. Therefore, we got to see all the morning games. And yes we did see the final episode of "Concentration" and the first episode of $10,000 Pyramid the following Monday. We sampled Baffle on its second day and were mesmerized. We kicked ourselves that Tuesday for missing Baffle on its first day.

And Bob Clayton certainly didn't mention being the announcer on the show that was going to air in his old time slot on another network!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2004, 05:36:12 PM by davemackey »

Jimmy Owen

NBC NY Concentration
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2004, 05:52:42 PM »
Interesting to note that the NBC O&Os were all in on the syndie "Concentration" for that fall at 1pm (in NYC at least) I presume Lin Bolen didn't have much of a say with the O&O division.  Everything turned out alright with G-T, but I wonder why Jim Victory didn't hire Norm Blumenthal?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

uncamark

NBC NY Concentration
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2004, 04:49:19 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Mar 30 2004, 05:52 PM\']Interesting to note that the NBC O&Os were all in on the syndie "Concentration" for that fall at 1pm (in NYC at least) I presume Lin Bolen didn't have much of a say with the O&O division.  Everything turned out alright with G-T, but I wonder why Jim Victory didn't hire Norm Blumenthal?[/quote]
Victory probably knew that Blumenthal would probably demand the tacky backdrops and Milt Kaye at the organ--and that he couldn't sell the show with either element.  Besides, the G-T name *was* pretty much money in the bank--from 1968, only "He Said She Said" and "IGAS" lasted only one season.

geno57

NBC NY Concentration
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2004, 10:19:32 PM »
UncaMark wrote:

>>>Victory probably knew that Blumenthal would probably demand the tacky backdrops and Milt Kaye at the organ--and that he couldn't sell the show with either element.

LOL re Milt Kaye ...

But I'd have to admit, the last NBC set was pretty nice. (Off-white, kindof marbly looking.)

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
NBC NY Concentration
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2004, 07:29:54 AM »
Norm Blumenthal was merely a producer-for-hire and an NBC employee. He did not represent an established production company, so Victory made the right move in going with G-T (he could have gone with any other established production company for that matter). G-T was set up not only to mount the show but also to handle the nuts and bolts of syndicated distribution.

And don't laugh at Milton Kaye -- he is apparently quite an accomplished concert musician -- believe it or not!