Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dotto  (Read 2790 times)

familyfeudfan

Dotto
« on: April 10, 2004, 10:34:06 PM »
Does anyone know who owns the rights to Dotto and hot the dots were connected?

tvrandywest

Dotto
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2004, 11:19:45 PM »
To read his resume and hear his stories is to believe that the notoriously high-strung producer of "Love Connection" (and others), Eric Lieber, was an artist of sorts way back then, and HE was behind the board drawing by hand.

But then Eric Lieber is the same guy who had me believing we would get a second season out of the Chuck Woolery talk show in the early 90s!

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

Matt Ottinger

Dotto
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2004, 11:42:50 PM »
Edward Hilgemeier notice that another contestant had a notebook containing answers to questions she had been asked on the show.  

After that, it was easy to connect the dots...
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

The Ol' Guy

Dotto
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2004, 11:59:48 PM »
I'd tend to believe the connect-by-hand story - about the same time frame, I'd watch the "magic drawing board" on Captain Kangaroo. It looked a lot like someone behind a specially treated pane of glass or some other effect...just like an invisible pencil was sketching things, making portraits in minutes. The old Merv Griffin "Word For Word" game board seemed similar...like a big Etch A Sketch or reverse magic slate with someone in the back. Perfesser Steve put together a big article on Dotto recently and IIRC, he implied one of the offspring of the original producers attempted to resurrect the game not long ago with no takers.
Maybe we should get out our surviving episode of Dotto and see if Eric is listed in the credits - providing he worked on the NBC version??? If he worked on the CBS version, I guess we'll never know.....
« Last Edit: April 11, 2004, 12:08:58 AM by The Ol' Guy »

familyfeudfan

Dotto
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2004, 02:04:47 PM »
[quote name=\'familyfeudfan\' date=\'Apr 10 2004, 09:34 PM\'] Does anyone know who owns the rights to Dotto and hot the dots were connected? [/quote]
 Correction: "how" not "hot"

The Ol' Guy

Dotto
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2004, 02:48:55 PM »
Found Mr. B's article - he states in 2000 Wendell Niles, Jr., son of the famous NBC staff announcer, attempted a re-package of Dotto.

ChuckNet

Dotto
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2004, 05:33:49 PM »
To read his resume and hear his stories is to believe that the notoriously high-strung producer of "Love Connection" (and others), Eric Lieber, was an artist of sorts way back then, and HE was behind the board drawing by hand.

His name actually comes up during a section on Dotto in Kent Andrews' excellent 1978 book "Television Fraud"...surprised I didn't make the connection (no pun intended, LOL).

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

familyfeudfan

Dotto
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2004, 11:53:40 PM »
On the one episode of dotto that I have on tape Jack N. said that if the contestant guessed the picture wrong that he would be out of the game or the game would be over (I can't remember exactly what he said because it's been so long) does this mean that the reaming player has to still keep playing and guess their picture to win or does the reaming player just receive the amount each unconnected dot was worth in their picture?

familyfeudfan

Dotto
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2004, 12:15:56 AM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Apr 11 2004, 04:33 PM\'] His name actually comes up during a section on Dotto in Kent Andrews' excellent 1978 book "Television Fraud [/quote]
Was this book widely published?

trainman

Dotto
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2004, 12:25:31 AM »
[quote name=\'familyfeudfan\' date=\'Apr 12 2004, 08:15 PM\'] Was this book widely published? [/quote]
 The Los Angeles Public Library has a copy.  Maybe a library near you does as well.  It looks like it's just the kind of thing that appeals heavily to libraries, since it's "based on the author's thesis, University of Washington" and number 39 in a series called "Contributions in American Studies," according to its card in the LAPL catalog.
trainman is a man of trains

familyfeudfan

Dotto
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2004, 12:40:58 AM »
[quote name=\'trainman\' date=\'Apr 12 2004, 11:25 PM\'] [quote name=\'familyfeudfan\' date=\'Apr 12 2004, 08:15 PM\'] Was this book widely published? [/quote]
The Los Angeles Public Library has a copy.  Maybe a library near you does as well.  It looks like it's just the kind of thing that appeals heavily to libraries, since it's "based on the author's thesis, University of Washington" and number 39 in a series called "Contributions in American Studies," according to its card in the LAPL catalog. [/quote]
Thanks for the info!