Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: WILD Speculation on the Selection of Rich Fields  (Read 2962 times)

Mike Tennant

WILD Speculation on the Selection of Rich Fields
« on: April 13, 2004, 10:51:26 AM »
Since we seem to be experts at wild, totally unfounded speculation here, I thought I'd throw in my own.  I fully expect to be told I'm wildly off the mark, but it's just something that occurred to me, so I thought I'd put it out there for the rest of you to consider.

Having seen the pictures of Rich Fields at golden-road.net, it occurs to me that (a) he's a pretty telegenic fellow and (b) he's significantly younger than Bob Barker (which, I'll admit, is not a particularly difficult thing to be).  Do you suppose that Fremantle chose Rich not just because he's a good announcer but because, in addition, they plan to groom him as the successor to the World's Greatest M.C.?  If so, do you suppose we'll start seeing him on camera as we used to see Johnny and Rod?  (Yeah, I know about the supposed Fremantle policy, but if my theory is correct, they'd want the audience to get to know Rich's face.)

Go ahead and rip my theory to shreds now (as if you needed me to tell you that).

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2004, 10:59:08 AM »
Wouldn't they have gone with Todd Newton as announcer if that were the case?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

cmjb13

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2004, 11:53:59 AM »
it occurs to me that (a) he's a pretty telegenic fellow
Generally speaking, looks play a big part in being a weatherperson.

My hunch is they did this choosing fair and square. Basically who they thought was best for the job. Although, I'm sure other factors were the case as well.

After all, Burton had the advantage (announced before, and already works for the company) and didn't get the gig.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2004, 11:54:09 AM »
As long as we make sure this is labelled as "wild speculation", I don't think it's so outrageous an idea at all. And at the very least, I can bet I know at least one person who's thought of this:  Rich Fields.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

tvwxman

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2004, 01:16:57 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Apr 13 2004, 10:53 AM\']
it occurs to me that (a) he's a pretty telegenic fellow
Generally speaking, looks play a big part in being a weatherperson.
 [/quote]
 and yet I'm pretty sure that's NOT the case for me and my career (Hi-yo!)

Still, I'm miffed...if they were taking on all comers for auditions, including local weatherfolk, I'da sent my tape in on day one!

Matt
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

FeudDude

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2004, 03:43:03 PM »
"GroceryGameDenny" on Golden-Road.net stated that he got an email from Rich saying that it was Barker's decision whether or not he'd be shown on camera.

Also, I can think of another possible reason why Rich may have been selected: his work on the Goodson-produced "Flamingo Fortune."

aaron sica

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2004, 03:44:55 PM »
Mike, you make some interesting points...He definitely does look telegenic, and if they really start showing him on camera, could POSSIBLY be a sign...

I'm not anyone to judge, but if he gets a lot of camera time it could say something..

sshuffield70

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2004, 04:23:46 PM »
[quote name=\'FeudDude\' date=\'Apr 13 2004, 02:43 PM\'] "GroceryGameDenny" on Golden-Road.net stated that he got an email from Rich saying that it was Barker's decision whether or not he'd be shown on camera. [/quote]
 Interesting.......

If Barker makes the decisions if Rich is on camera, could it have been possible once Rod went into the hospital (the first time) that Rod requested to Bob not to put his face back on TV?  The one pic we have from after, Rod did not look as good as he had been in previous years.

cmjb13

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2004, 04:30:55 PM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Apr 13 2004, 04:23 PM\'] [quote name=\'FeudDude\' date=\'Apr 13 2004, 02:43 PM\'] "GroceryGameDenny" on Golden-Road.net stated that he got an email from Rich saying that it was Barker's decision whether or not he'd be shown on camera. [/quote]
Interesting.......

If Barker makes the decisions if Rich is on camera, could it have been possible once Rod went into the hospital (the first time) that Rod requested to Bob not to put his face back on TV?  The one pic we have from after, Rod did not look as good as he had been in previous years. [/quote]
 In November 2002 He looked thin, but still pretty good. That was also when he taped H2.

It was  May/June 2003 when it came back again and looked very thin.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

MitchJoseph2004

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2004, 05:52:03 PM »
Just goes to show great minds think a like. I too thought that, to me, the only logical explanation of passing over Randy was they wanted someone who could take over hosting duties as well. Since Rich has a little g.s. hosting experience with Flamingo Fortune, (I also heard he was considered for CS86 syn.).
Then seeing the pic with him and Bob made it more evident.
Why not go with Newton then? He's too darn loud and obnoxious, IMHO.... just look at 'Whammy!'.

Just puttin in my 2 cents

TV Favorites

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2004, 08:35:20 PM »
I thought that Rod announced H2 from the stage during the game show week.  If he didn't want to be shown on camera, why would he have announced H2 from there?

Kevin Prather

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2004, 09:24:49 PM »
Rod was in one of the squares, iirc.

zachhoran

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2004, 09:26:43 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Apr 13 2004, 08:24 PM\'] Rod was in one of the squares, iirc. [/quote]
 He wasn't in one of the squares, but did announce on stage IIRC.

sshuffield70

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2004, 11:16:09 AM »
[quote name=\'TV Favorites\' date=\'Apr 13 2004, 07:35 PM\'] I thought that Rod announced H2 from the stage during the game show week.  If he didn't want to be shown on camera, why would he have announced H2 from there? [/quote]
 Good question, TVF.

The only thing I can think of at the moment is that his health may have gone to hell after the H2 taping (I don't know how far ahead they taped.  It seems the last shows are done.)  In which case, I can see Rod still there but requesting not to be on camera.  This is a new theory of mine.  I don't know if there's any validity.

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2004, 11:25:22 AM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Apr 13 2004, 04:23 PM\'] could it have been possible once Rod went into the hospital (the first time) that Rod requested to Bob not to put his face back on TV?  The one pic we have from after, Rod did not look as good as he had been in previous years. [/quote]
To quote Clock Game John from Golden-Road:

[quote name=\'ClockGameJohn\']Without opening another whole can of worms, no...this was not the reason.[/quote]
« Last Edit: April 14, 2004, 11:27:43 AM by Steve Gavazzi »