Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Family Feud DVD game  (Read 3564 times)

bwood

Family Feud DVD game
« on: April 22, 2004, 01:23:35 AM »
Hey Everyone,
I read on mandelweb.com that he has been given an early release copy of a Family Feud DVD party game. Does anyone have any more info on this game (who makes it, how it plays, etc)? I brought the topic of this game up on here a while back and was told that it wasn't true, but now Mandel has a copy. This sounds pretty interesting.

EDIT: I take some of that back, I found some info from Circuit City:

http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.jsp?c=1&...toid=-10752&m=0
« Last Edit: April 22, 2004, 01:26:51 AM by bwood »

Timsterino

Family Feud DVD game
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2004, 02:03:14 AM »
[quote name=\'bwood\' date=\'Apr 22 2004, 01:23 AM\'] Hey Everyone,
I read on mandelweb.com that he has been given an early release copy of a Family Feud DVD party game. Does anyone have any more info on this game (who makes it, how it plays, etc)? I brought the topic of this game up on here a while back and was told that it wasn't true, but now Mandel has a copy. This sounds pretty interesting.

EDIT: I take some of that back, I found some info from Circuit City:

http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.jsp?c=1&...toid=-10752&m=0 [/quote]
 With the exception of Richard Karn that looks very cool. I think I will buy one. No, I did not expect them to bring Richard Dawson back to host the game. <g>

Tim :-)

Craig Karlberg

Family Feud DVD game
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2004, 04:47:05 AM »
Sounds good to me.  At $25, it's loaded with over 800 questions, a Random Shuffle technology feature that creates a new game every time it's played.  Nice.  I wonder if it's too early to think of having one for Christmas?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Family Feud DVD game
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2004, 11:35:46 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Apr 22 2004, 01:47 AM\'] Sounds good to me.  At $25, it's loaded with over 800 questions, a Random Shuffle technology feature that creates a new game every time it's played.  Nice.  I wonder if it's too early to think of having one for Christmas? [/quote]
 Wow. Someone sure knows how to buy into marketing hype.

Man, I dunno, I think I'd want to see a couple of reviews before I parted with my hard-earned $25 on this one. There are just too many ways to screw it up.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

bwood

Family Feud DVD game
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2004, 11:41:54 AM »
Yeah, I don't think I'll shell out the $25 just yet, until I know how it plays. Mandel said "Purists will probably balk that it's not quite the "Feud" we all know and love but from a "party game" standpoint it's a lot of fun." So I'm going to see how it is before I buy it.

clemon79

Family Feud DVD game
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2004, 12:37:44 PM »
[quote name=\'bwood\' date=\'Apr 22 2004, 08:41 AM\'] Mandel said "Purists will probably balk that it's not quite the "Feud" we all know and love but from a "party game" standpoint it's a lot of fun." [/quote]
 That actually gives me MORE hope, if anything, because that indicates to me that they recognize the limitations of the format and therefore didn't try to get the DVD to do something that it wouldn't be able to do well.

WhammyPower

Family Feud DVD game
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2004, 01:10:29 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Apr 22 2004, 10:37 AM\'] [quote name=\'bwood\' date=\'Apr 22 2004, 08:41 AM\'] Mandel said "Purists will probably balk that it's not quite the "Feud" we all know and love but from a "party game" standpoint it's a lot of fun." [/quote]
That actually gives me MORE hope, if anything, because that indicates to me that they recognize the limitations of the format and therefore didn't try to get the DVD to do something that it wouldn't be able to do well. [/quote]
 Like the faces of the actual people in the room?  :-P

clemon79

Family Feud DVD game
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2004, 02:08:45 PM »
[quote name=\'WhammyPower\' date=\'Apr 22 2004, 10:10 AM\'] Like the faces of the actual people in the room?  :-P [/quote]
 No, like trying to accept user input more complicated than picking something from a menu.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Family Feud DVD game
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2004, 02:57:39 PM »
No, like trying to accept user input more complicated than picking something from a menu.

Boom - nailed it on the head. How else could you do it? In this day in age they surely wouldn't have you go tick-tick-tick through a letter bank typing in answers...seems like a wasted opportunity for a PC release if anything.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

clemon79

Family Feud DVD game
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2004, 05:18:15 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' date=\'Apr 22 2004, 11:57 AM\']

Boom - nailed it on the head. How else could you do it? In this day in age they surely wouldn't have you go tick-tick-tick through a letter bank typing in answers...seems like a wasted opportunity for a PC release if anything.

-Jason [/quote]
 Our PS2 release of Jeopardy does it in a pretty clever way, actually. You give it the first letter of your answer, and it takes you to the appropriate spot in the "answer bank", a database of responses, some correct, some totally bogus. It's not perfect, because sometimes you will see a response in the answer bank that you use later (kinda like Eye Guess in that respect, I suppose), but it's a hell of a lot better than plucking out letters with the PS2 controller.

Peter Sarrett

Family Feud DVD game
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2004, 06:15:47 PM »
Judging from the erasable scorecards in the photo, I'd say they're using a similar approach to how I adapted the Feud to a massively multiplayer audience: each player/team writes down their top N answers, in order.  Then you score for each of your answers that appears on the board.  No answers get entered into the computer at all-- it's scored on the honor system.

Knew I should have pitched this last year.  Oh well, story of my life.

- Peter

clemon79

Family Feud DVD game
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2004, 06:20:36 PM »
[quote name=\'Peter Sarrett\' date=\'Apr 22 2004, 03:15 PM\'] Knew I should have pitched this last year.  Oh well, story of my life.
 [/quote]
 Yeah, 'cuz, you know, winning a QUARTER FREAKIN' MIL wasn't enough of an income boost for one year. ;)

(Incidentally, Peter's too modest, but I'd like to point out to the fellow gamer geeks that he and our mutual friend Rich Rowan were the champions in the Password tournament at the Gathering of Friends in Ohio last week. Congratulations! :))

passwordplus

Family Feud DVD game
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2004, 04:43:01 PM »
This game isn't so new, folks. K-mart had it in their Sunday ad like last October, but in my area, they must have had very few FF games to go around. I have been on the lookout for it since, but haven't seen it anymore.

bwood

Family Feud DVD game
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2004, 07:26:56 PM »
Are you sure it was this game?
I remember in about October the Endless 2nd Ed. Board Game was in the K-Mart ad. I don't recall seeing this game. If it was in there, I'm sure I'd have remembered it, or somebody here would have mentioned it. I also have a friend that works for K-Mart, he knows how I like game show related games so if it was in there in October, he also would have probably told me. I dunno, maybe it was in there and I missed it or it wasn't in this area.

Mandel said he got an early release of the game and he posted that blog like what, last week, two weeks ago? If it came out in October, that's not much of an early release copy.

By the way, if this game was in a store, where would it be stocked? With the board games? Software? DVDs (not likley since it's not a movie)? I'm confused since it's a strictly DVD game. I know that the other DVD games (T.P DVD, Scene It) are in the board games section but they have a board game element to them, this does not. I've been looking at the stores but have no idea where to look.

passwordplus

Family Feud DVD game
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2004, 08:41:46 PM »
[quote name=\'bwood\' date=\'Apr 23 2004, 07:26 PM\'] Are you sure it was this game?
I remember in about October the Endless 2nd Ed. Board Game was in the K-Mart ad. I don't recall seeing this game. If it was in there, I'm sure I'd have remembered it, or somebody here would have mentioned it. I also have a friend that works for K-Mart, he knows how I like game show related games so if it was in there in October, he also would have probably told me. I dunno, maybe it was in there and I missed it or it wasn't in this area.

Mandel said he got an early release of the game and he posted that blog like what, last week, two weeks ago? If it came out in October, that's not much of an early release copy.

By the way, if this game was in a store, where would it be stocked? With the board games? Software? DVDs (not likley since it's not a movie)? I'm confused since it's a strictly DVD game. I know that the other DVD games (T.P DVD, Scene It) are in the board games section but they have a board game element to them, this does not. I've been looking at the stores but have no idea where to look. [/quote]
When I did try to find it at the Big K, they were out. But it was in the toy area, which happened to be next to the Electronics. Conveniently placed.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2004, 08:42:15 PM by passwordplus »