Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Gene Rayburn's jacket crest  (Read 4719 times)

Adam Nedeff

Gene Rayburn's jacket crest
« on: April 24, 2004, 11:33:00 PM »
Periodically in the syndicated years of Match Game, Gene would wear a black or navy blue jacket with a crest on the breast pocket. The most I've ever heard him elaborate on it was "It's a club." Does anyone here, by some miracle, know any more about it?

tvrandywest

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2004, 12:12:45 AM »
Send a screen grab and I may be able to tell ya.

Guesses:

Gene told me he was a Phi Beta Kappa, and he was very proud of that. The crest MAY have something to do with that.  (In 25 years I'll claim the same - all the my college transcripts will be lost by then!)

Gene lived in Connecticut on Long Island Sound. That Fairfield County area is among the wealthiest in the country with a lot of yacht clubs. It could be from a former membership.

It could all be BS - some blazers have meaningless crests.

It could have been the logo of Pinkerton Security, and Gene was moonlighting as a night watchman.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

passwordplus

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2004, 10:35:02 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Apr 25 2004, 12:12 AM\'] Send a screen grab and I may be able to tell ya.

Guesses:

Gene told me he was a Phi Beta Kappa, and he was very proud of that. The crest MAY have something to do with that.  (In 25 years I'll claim the same - all the my college transcripts will be lost by then!)

Gene lived in Connecticut on Long Island Sound. That Fairfield County area is among the wealthiest in the country with a lot of yacht clubs. It could be from a former membership.

It could all be BS - some blazers have meaningless crests.

It could have been the logo of Pinkerton Security, and Gene was moonlighting as a night watchman.

Randy
tvrandywest.com [/quote]
 And also of note, he a loud shirt on today with gold on it under his jacket(MG78).

pyrfan

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2004, 04:42:35 PM »
[quote name=\'Adam Nedeff\' date=\'Apr 24 2004, 10:33 PM\']Periodically in the syndicated years of Match Game, Gene would wear a black or navy blue jacket with a crest on the breast pocket. The most I've ever heard him elaborate on it was "It's a club." Does anyone here, by some miracle, know any more about it?[/quote]
Charles made reference to the jacket in a 1980 episode. Gene explained that it was a club on Nantucket, but he didn't elaborate much further because he didn't want people to know where he lived. Charles later did one of his newspaper bits about the police supposedly raiding the club. I'll check and see if Gene mentions the name in the episode I have.

Brendan

Skynet74

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2004, 05:05:41 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Apr 24 2004, 11:12 PM\']

Randy
tvrandywest.com [/quote]

I had always heard that Gene lived on Cape Cod in Massachusetts. This is the first I have heard of him living in Connecticut.

John

tvrandywest

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2004, 09:09:39 PM »
[quote name=\'Skynet74\' date=\'Apr 26 2004, 01:05 PM\'] I had always heard that Gene lived on Cape Cod in Massachusetts. This is the first I have heard of him living in Connecticut. [/quote]
 I can't give you much of a time frame for each residence, so in no particular order, only the few I know of for certain, there certainly could have been many others:

Manhattan, NY (Gene lived near Central Park and would bicycle to work at 30 Rock. The stories of him riding the bike in the hallways were many and funny - at least once he was reprimanded and asked in writing to not ride in the building.)

Mamaroneck, NY (On Long Island Sound, just south of Connecticut). This was most likely home during some part of the 60s. His daughter was in her late teens / early 20s at the time).

Fairfield County, Connecticut (near Greenwich). Gene moved to LA (see below)
after he toiled for months cleaning out this longtime home so it could be sold in the late 90s. He had a fair amount of land with a woodworking shop on the property, and a lot of crap stored over many years.

Encino, CA. - Gene's last home before his health really failed was an apartment he rented in the Valley. He and Ira Skutch would spend time together. I had a few dinners with him, and a bunch of the gang (Boden, Wostbrock, Schwartz, me, etc.) took him out for dinner on his final birthday. The photo of Gene and I (holding a CBS slate) on my website was taken during his final year, about 3 months before he passed.

I don't know anything about Nantucket except, "there once was a host from Nantucket, with a ___ so long he could ___ it". But I digress.   ;-p

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2004, 09:15:02 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Apr 26 2004, 06:09 PM\'] I don't know anything about Nantucket except, "there once was a host from Nantucket, with a ___ so long he could ___ it". But I digress.   ;-p
 [/quote]
 "He said with a grin
 As his show faded in...."

aw, <BLANK> it. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

uncamark

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2004, 03:45:32 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Apr 26 2004, 08:09 PM\']Encino, CA. - Gene's last home before his health really failed was an apartment he rented in the Valley. He and Ira Skutch would spend time together. I had a few dinners with him, and a bunch of the gang (Boden, Wostbrock, Schwartz, me, etc.) took him out for dinner on his final birthday. The photo of Gene and I (holding a CBS slate) on my website was taken during his final year, about 3 months before he passed.

[/quote]
And near that motel so special to Gene and Brett.  :)