Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MGHS first-week celebs  (Read 5179 times)

Jamey Greek

MGHS first-week celebs
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2004, 11:18:09 AM »
Nipsey also appeared on the movie Wildcats.  and Eddie Murphy made fun of him on SNL.

DrBear

MGHS first-week celebs
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2004, 11:23:34 AM »
Conny Van Dyke was something of a second-level country singer, no big hits but a reliable performer (no mean feat when you consider some country stars' reputations). I remember her doing a telethon or two.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

ChuckNet

MGHS first-week celebs
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2004, 11:52:43 AM »
Conny Van Dyke was something of a second-level country singer, no big hits but a reliable performer (no mean feat when you consider some country stars' reputations).

One-time YDS host Jim Peck, though he couldn't remember her name, said she was "a cute girl, but you had to watch her like a hawk...she was just raunchy!"

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

zachhoran

MGHS first-week celebs
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2004, 11:58:51 AM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'Apr 27 2004, 10:23 AM\'] Conny Van Dyke was something of a second-level country singer, no big hits but a reliable performer (no mean feat when you consider some country stars' reputations). I remember her doing a telethon or two. [/quote]
 ANother legendary GS celebrity had a third-tier country music background IIRC: Blake Emmons.

Matt Ottinger

MGHS first-week celebs
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2004, 12:20:34 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Apr 27 2004, 11:58 AM\'] [quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'Apr 27 2004, 10:23 AM\'] Conny Van Dyke was something of a second-level country singer, no big hits but a reliable performer (no mean feat when you consider some country stars' reputations). I remember her doing a telethon or two. [/quote]
ANother legendary GS celebrity had a third-tier country music background IIRC: Blake Emmons. [/quote]
 Look at that, "Blake Emmons" and "legendary GS celebrity" in the same sentence!
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

gsnstooge

MGHS first-week celebs
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2004, 02:57:31 PM »
[quote name=\'Jamey Greek\' date=\'Apr 26 2004, 05:16 PM\'] [quote name=\'pyrfan\' date=\'Apr 26 2004, 04:15 PM\'] Looking back on "Match Game/Hollywood Squares Hour's" first week on the air, I have to say that they didn't exactly launch it with a lot of star power. I know that big, big stars have never been a mainstay of game shows in general, but they could have upped the wattage a little bit for the premiere week.

Take another look at that week's guests: Twyla Littleton, Bill Daily, Barbi Benton, Jimmie Walker, Alison Arngrim, Skip Stephenson, Tom Villard, and -- in the center square -- Phil Proctor. Not to take anything away from Phil, who is a very talented comedian and actor, but I can't help but think that many people across America watched that first episode and, upon seeing the center square, uttered "Phil who?" The closest things to household names on the panel were Jimmie Walker and Barbi Benton (but most people probably know her as Hugh Hefner's one-time paramour and nothing else). I'd never heard of Twyla before (or since); Alison, Jimmie, and Bill had been in successful series in the past but weren't on anything at the time. The only two people on the panel who had regular series gigs were Tom, then on "We Got It Made," and Skip, whose "Real People" had long ago ceased to be hot.

Don't get me wrong -- I loved discovering new faces on MGHS and on other game shows. MGHS was the first place I ever saw Arsenio Hall, Edie McClurg, and others. And with format and host problems, I don't know if the show would have had a long run anyway, but I think they could have put a lot more thought into their guests for the opening week. If it were me, I would have tried to get semi-big-name guests who had played previous incarnations of both games, like Bonnie Franklin, Dr. Joyce Brothers, Betty White, Edward Asner, and others.

What does everyone else think?

Brendan [/quote]
No, Big Stars wouldn't have made a difference Having, Peter Marshall as host of Hollywood Squares wouldn't either.  However, if Peter Marshall hosted, Gene would have let the series air in reruns.  Because, from my understanding Peter and Gene were very good friends and would have enjoyed working with one another.  Gene may have been reluctant to do it in the first place I understand he was hosting a Saturday radio show at the time, but Gene and Peter would have been a good team!  

Another thing is this, Phil Proctor is now the voice of Howard Deville Phil and Lil's father on Rugrats.  BTW, Former Charlie's Angels star Bosley, and Regular MG Panelist David Doyle voiced Grandpa until he died.  He was followed by Former Couch Potatoes and MG90 regular Joe Alaskey. [/quote]
 Twyla was on Family Feud in 1983 for a week-long Models week which among her teammates included a pre-Card Sharks Lacey Pemberton.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
MGHS first-week celebs
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2004, 03:31:08 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Apr 27 2004, 09:20 AM\'] Look at that, "Blake Emmons" and "legendary GS celebrity" in the same sentence! [/quote]
 Only if you are Zach Horan is Blake Emmons anywhere near "legendary".
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

calliaume

MGHS first-week celebs
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2004, 08:49:25 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Apr 27 2004, 10:52 AM\']
Conny Van Dyke was something of a second-level country singer, no big hits but a reliable performer (no mean feat when you consider some country stars' reputations).

One-time YDS host Jim Peck, though he couldn't remember her name, said she was "a cute girl, but you had to watch her like a hawk...she was just raunchy!"

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby") [/quote]
 I mused on the reason for Conny Van Dyke's fame on my You Don't Say! page (she appeared on that show more frequently), and promptly got a note from her son (who was reasonably forgiving).  Note to self:  don't be biting or sarcastic when the subject in question can read what you're thinking.  Here's her site.

My thought is, especially in the mid-70s when so many celebrity games were on the air, there were just more slots open than there were celebrities willing to fill them -- so some lesser lights managed to get their tushes in the chairs.

Skynet74

MGHS first-week celebs
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2004, 02:01:06 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Apr 26 2004, 06:31 PM\']
THis would have made CHuck unavailable for Scrabble if it were to happen. Tom Kennedy or maybe even Bert Convy might have worked OK(Bert wouldn't happen due to his Tattletales committments) [/quote]

Well Scrabble didn't start until the Summer of 1984. So Chuck could have hosted MGHS and it would not have even conflicted with Scrabble. I believe MGHS was canceled before Scrabble even began.

Hypotheticly if Chuck was hired to host MGHS and if the show had lasted longer than it did........ it probably would of resulted in a different host being hired for Scrabble while Chuck remained with MGHS.

John

DrJWJustice

MGHS first-week celebs
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2004, 03:51:22 PM »
[quote name=\'pyrfan\' date=\'Apr 26 2004, 04:15 PM\'] Don't get me wrong -- I loved discovering new faces on MGHS and on other game shows. MGHS was the first place I ever saw Arsenio Hall, Edie McClurg, and others.
 [/quote]
 Edie did put in at least one appearance on Match Game '7x.  I do have one episode on tape with her on the panel, sitting in Betty White's usual place, IIRC.

zachhoran

MGHS first-week celebs
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2004, 07:26:34 PM »
[quote name=\'Skynet74\' date=\'Apr 28 2004, 01:01 PM\']

Well Scrabble didn't start until the Summer of 1984. So Chuck could have hosted MGHS and it would not have even conflicted with Scrabble. I believe MGHS was canceled before Scrabble even began.

[/quote]
 Scrabble and MGHS had four weeks of overlap, and WOolery did a week of MGHS to promote Scrabble