Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Going to TPiR taping on 5/25  (Read 4492 times)

Timsterino

Going to TPiR taping on 5/25
« on: May 01, 2004, 02:45:18 PM »
Hi all,

I am going to my sixth TPiR taping on 5/25. However, this is the first time in several years that we will not be staying at the Farmer's Daughter. We are staying at the Hollywood Roosevelt (on a trip win thanks to the Ryan Seacrest show).

My question is how accessable and attainable are taxis at 3am in Hollywood? Does anyone know a good company to call? I am not renting a car until the last part of our trip so we need to hail a cab.

Thanks in advance,
Tim :-)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2004, 02:45:51 PM by Timsterino »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2004, 02:51:46 PM »
[quote name=\'Timsterino\' date=\'May 1 2004, 11:45 AM\'] My question is how accessable and attainable are taxis at 3am in Hollywood? [/quote]
 It's L.A. The nightlife in this city is second only to New York. Rest assured, you can get a cab at any hour.

(You can in most places, can't you?)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2004, 03:13:12 PM »
[quote name=\'Timsterino\' date=\'May 1 2004, 01:45 PM\'] My question is how accessable and attainable are taxis at 3am in Hollywood? Does anyone know a good company to call? I am not renting a car until the last part of our trip so we need to hail a cab. [/quote]
 I had no problem getting a taxi at 3:30 AM on a Monday morning when I went to a TPiR taping in Oct. 2001.  The only problem I had was the company wanted a phone number and they didn't like my reasoning that I was an out-of-towner staying at a friend's (Randy A.'s) house.  I should've given them my home number, just to see what would've happened.

Skynet74

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2004, 05:39:13 PM »
[quote name=\'Timsterino\' date=\'May 1 2004, 01:45 PM\'] this is the first time in several years that we will not be staying at the Farmer's Daughter. We are staying at the Hollywood Roosevelt [/quote]

Well I can tell you this much. Your accomodations are going to be much more pleasant at the Roosevelt. You'll also be in the heart of the tourist section of town which is cool for those evening walks down Hollywood Blvd. Should be fun. On the downside..... Yes it is further to CBS. 2.84 miles to be exact. It would be a nice 45 minute walk if you happened to want some early morning exercise. Otherwise I am sure you can grab a Cab. Don't stand and wait for one though. At that early time of day the only thing that may show up are some Hookers as you cross Sunset. You'll find that it's going to look pretty dead at 3 AM. I am almost certain that the front desk at the hotel will be happy to make recommendations for a ride. Your Room will probably have that information as well. Have a Fun trip!

John
« Last Edit: May 01, 2004, 05:40:53 PM by Skynet74 »

Timsterino

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2004, 07:56:35 PM »
Thanks guys. I appreciate the tips. I am really looking forward to the trip. :-)

vtown7

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2004, 09:16:52 PM »
Good luck Tim with your taping!

I was there last summer, and we actually called the night before for the cab (ordered it for 3.15 am IIRC) and there was no problem.  That was from Melrose and Vine.  And there was already a line up... of about 50 people!

I'm kind of confused... you won a trip to see Ryan Seacrest?  All I got was a bulk email...

Cheers,

Ryan :)

Terry K

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2004, 09:19:01 PM »
I wouldn't be so fast to say that its dead at TPIR at 3am.  The 25th is a Tuesday taping, and even those tapings get long lines starting at 8 or 9 pm.  (Every tme I've been o TPIR, there's been a line starting the previous night, especailly for Monday or MDS tapings)

Skynet74

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2004, 09:36:19 PM »
[quote name=\'Terry K\' date=\'May 1 2004, 08:19 PM\'] I wouldn't be so fast to say that its dead at TPIR at 3am.  The 25th is a Tuesday taping, and even those tapings get long lines starting at 8 or 9 pm.  (Every tme I've been o TPIR, there's been a line starting the previous night, especailly for Monday or MDS tapings) [/quote]

I didn't mean that the line would be dead at 3. I meant that the streets of Hollywood would be pretty dead that early in the morning. I've walked those streets and nothing much starts to happen until 5:30/6:00 AM. However The place with the most action in town probably is CBS TV City at 3AM. I don't doubt that for a second.

John

Timsterino

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2004, 10:21:18 PM »
[quote name=\'vtown7\' date=\'May 1 2004, 09:16 PM\'] Good luck Tim with your taping!

I was there last summer, and we actually called the night before for the cab (ordered it for 3.15 am IIRC) and there was no problem.  That was from Melrose and Vine.  And there was already a line up... of about 50 people!

I'm kind of confused... you won a trip to see Ryan Seacrest?  All I got was a bulk email...

Cheers,

Ryan :) [/quote]
Thanks, Ryan. I was there at Midnight last May and we were 3rd and 4th in line. We will probably get there closer to 2am but we shall see. :-)

Yes, I won a trip to see "On Air with Ryan Seacrest" from his website here:
http://www.gowherenofanhasgonebefore.com

There is nothing like a free trip, especially when we get a visit to TPiR in. :-)

« Last Edit: May 01, 2004, 10:22:42 PM by Timsterino »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2004, 12:39:06 AM »
If you want nicer accomodations than the Farmer's Daughter there is the Beverly Plaza Hotel which has now been renamed The Orlando. It is a short cab ride or a long walk from CBS: (323) 658-6600.

There is a Days Inn at 7023 Sunset Blvd.

There is the Renaissance Hotel at Hollywood and Highland near the Oscar-venue Kodak Theater if you want to be close to Ryan Seacrest.

There is the Hollywood Roosevelt where Bob Barker has lunch with Ralph Edwards each year.

If you want to stay at Merv headquarters there is the Beverly Hilton.

If you want to feel like a rock star there is the Hyatt West Hollywood on the Sunset Strip.

If you want to feel like you own a game show production company there is the Beverly Hills Hotel.

It all depends how much you want to spend. My feeling is this: if you have the dough and you're making a once-in-a-lifetime voyage to Hollywood, treat yourself like a king (or queen) for once in your life and stay at some place fancy. What's life if you can't indulge yourself once in a while? It'll be an experience you'll never forget. If you come here frequently or are planning an extended stay and just need a place to hang your hat then economy becomes a consideration.

I can recommend United Independent Taxi, whose green taxi vans appear on Blind Date: (310) 550-8523.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2004, 01:00:00 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'May 1 2004, 09:39 PM\'] There is the Renaissance Hotel at Hollywood and Highland near the Oscar-venue Kodak Theater if you want to be close to Ryan Seacrest. [/quote]
 Be sure to ask for the special Seacrest Suite, complete with walk-in closets that you can subsequently come out of. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2004, 01:13:47 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'May 1 2004, 10:00 PM\'] [quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'May 1 2004, 09:39 PM\'] There is the Renaissance Hotel at Hollywood and Highland near the Oscar-venue Kodak Theater if you want to be close to Ryan Seacrest. [/quote]
Be sure to ask for the special Seacrest Suite, complete with walk-in closets that you can subsequently come out of. :) [/quote]
 Once in those closets you're in there for good.

Timsterino

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2004, 04:45:36 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'May 2 2004, 12:39 AM\'] If you want nicer accomodations than the Farmer's Daughter there is the Beverly Plaza Hotel which has now been renamed The Orlando. It is a short cab ride or a long walk from CBS: (323) 658-6600.

There is a Days Inn at 7023 Sunset Blvd.

There is the Renaissance Hotel at Hollywood and Highland near the Oscar-venue Kodak Theater if you want to be close to Ryan Seacrest.

There is the Hollywood Roosevelt where Bob Barker has lunch with Ralph Edwards each year.

If you want to stay at Merv headquarters there is the Beverly Hilton.

If you want to feel like a rock star there is the Hyatt West Hollywood on the Sunset Strip.

If you want to feel like you own a game show production company there is the Beverly Hills Hotel.

It all depends how much you want to spend. My feeling is this: if you have the dough and you're making a once-in-a-lifetime voyage to Hollywood, treat yourself like a king (or queen) for once in your life and stay at some place fancy. What's life if you can't indulge yourself once in a while? It'll be an experience you'll never forget. If you come here frequently or are planning an extended stay and just need a place to hang your hat then economy becomes a consideration.

I can recommend United Independent Taxi, whose green taxi vans appear on Blind Date: (310) 550-8523. [/quote]
 Thanks, Chris. The hotel while we are in Hollywood is free and they are putting us up at the Hollywood Roosevelt. Maybe we will run into Mr. Barker and Mr. Edwards. ;-) After the three days in Hollywood we are driving down to San Diego. Erika and I have been to L.A. many times but we have never checked out San Diego.

SplitSecond

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2004, 06:11:07 AM »
If you find yourself down in San Diego on a Sunday and want to treat yourself, I highly recommend the brunch at Loew's Coronado Hotel on Coronado Island.  The Hotel del Coronado brunch is the more famous of the two, and usually the more crowded, but the Loew's buffet is very good.

Timsterino

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2004, 06:26:05 AM »
[quote name=\'SplitSecond\' date=\'May 2 2004, 06:11 AM\'] If you find yourself down in San Diego on a Sunday and want to treat yourself, I highly recommend the brunch at Loew's Coronado Hotel on Coronado Island.  The Hotel del Coronado brunch is the more famous of the two, and usually the more crowded, but the Loew's buffet is very good. [/quote]
 Thanks! I appreciate the tips. That sounds good. :-)