Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPIR Million Dollar Special "extra spin"  (Read 2229 times)

Skynet74

TPIR Million Dollar Special "extra spin"
« on: May 02, 2004, 05:09:33 PM »
Last night was the first time I caught the extra spin at the end of the show. It just seemed so out of place and I felt that it didn't belong. I realize that they are doing their best to give away that Million Dollars..... however it just didn't fit. There has to be a better way.

John

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2004, 05:22:31 PM »
[quote name=\'Skynet74\' date=\'May 2 2004, 02:09 PM\'] Last night was the first time I caught the extra spin at the end of the show. It just seemed so out of place and I felt that it didn't belong. I realize that they are doing their best to give away that Million Dollars..... however it just didn't fit. There has to be a better way. [/quote]
 If they are going to guarantee a MDS, I don't know how they could do it otherwise. About the only other place they could put it in the show is after the second SCSD, right? And if they do that, then they would have to come up with a different way to award it if it's not earned in the SCSD. We all agree that giving it to a random audience member sucks. You could give it to the top-dollar winner in the show, but can you imagine the anticlimax if they were competing in that SCSD and knew they got a spin if nobody got one? What if they spun last? How totally anticlimactic would THAT be?

I think the problem is this: there IS NO place to put that "mandatory" MDS that fits well with the show format. The problem is not the manner in which they choose the "mandatory" spinner, the problem is that the "mandatory" spin exists at all. I know it's a ratings draw, but the best decision for the look of the show is simply not to guarantee a spinner. Someone gets a buck, yay, we have a spinner, dim the lights. If not, tough cookies, we'll try again next week. Hell, Regis goes MONTHS without asking a (Ten)MDQ, and nobody feels cheated there.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Terry K

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2004, 06:11:29 PM »
I agree entirely.  Actually, I have a solution that will work for everyone.  Why not have *two* spins in each show?  If no one hits the $1 during their SCSD, why not have the winner of the SCSD spin the wheel *at that time* for $1 millon?  No extra set work, minimal chance of someone winning, and...it guarantees that *2* people will spin for $1m.  

This would also improve the flow of the game and make fht SCSD more exciting :D

Don Howard

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2004, 06:14:59 PM »
[quote name=\'Terry K\' date=\'May 2 2004, 05:11 PM\'] I agree entirely.  Actually, I have a solution that will work for everyone.  Why not have *two* spins in each show?  If no one hits the $1 during their SCSD, why not have the winner of the SCSD spin the wheel *at that time* for $1 millon?  No extra set work, minimal chance of someone winning, and...it guarantees that *2* people will spin for $1m. 

This would also improve the flow of the game and make fht SCSD more exciting :D [/quote]
Even better: Have anyone who wins a pricing game have a crack at the cool million. Wait! There might be an all-losers show. Everyone who gets on stage. Wait! Everyone who Rich calls to come on down. Wait! Give each audience member a spin one by one. They'll make no friends with the insurance company, but think of the publicity wave.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2004, 06:15:14 PM by Don Howard »

beatlefreak84

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2004, 07:21:23 PM »
Last night was the first time I caught the extra spin at the end of the show. It just seemed so out of place and I felt that it didn't belong. I realize that they are doing their best to give away that Million Dollars..... however it just didn't fit. There has to be a better way.

I agree with Lemon on this one...as exciting as that Million Dollar spin is, I think it makes it a whole lot better to actually see a contestant earn the spin just like the daytime contestants have to earn the $10,000 spin.

As far as where getting in the "ratings draw" spin, as Lemon put it, should go, a friend of mine suggested that, if no one gets the spin honestly, then the six contestants who won their way on stage should have a drawing of some sort (like a drum of numbered balls from 1-10; highest number gets the spin).  The drawing should take place before the showcase, and then the spin would take place after the showcase.  This way, the ratings draw is still there but it doesn't limit the spin to the two who happened to make the showcase, as my friend put it.  She said that, since it is worth a million dollars, it should go at the end of the show since it is the main climax of the show.

Sounds like a good idea to me; what do you guys think?

Personally, I'd rather have the specials like the first few where all million dollar spins had to be earned honestly, but I don't think that'll happen anytime soon.

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

JayC

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2004, 07:25:41 PM »
I don't have a problem with the way it's done now.  They got the best total to get into the showcase, so they should be the ones and the only ones to get an opportunity for a million dollar spin.  If you let all 6 have a chance, then you're basically being rewarded for losing (the SCSD) if a player who isn't in the showcase wins the chance at the bonus spin IMO.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2004, 07:27:41 PM by JayC »

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2004, 08:18:05 PM »
[quote name=\'beatlefreak84\' date=\'May 2 2004, 07:21 PM\'] As far as where getting in the "ratings draw" spin, as Lemon put it, should go, a friend of mine suggested that, if no one gets the spin honestly, then the six contestants who won their way on stage should have a drawing of some sort (like a drum of numbered balls from 1-10; highest number gets the spin).  The drawing should take place before the showcase, and then the spin would take place after the showcase. [/quote]
 Bad idea.  You could end up with the Showcase winner having to cut his celebration short so the loser could go spin the Big Wheel.  Coupled with a spin that doesn't land on the dollar, that is the definition of "anticlimactic."

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2004, 09:39:13 PM »
What about $1,000,000 Plinko?  One chip for one million.  If they ever do a college special again, they could make the million an IUFB and see who comes closest (without going over, of course).
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

JayC

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2004, 09:49:27 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'May 2 2004, 08:39 PM\'] What about $1,000,000 Plinko?  One chip for one million.  If they ever do a college special again, they could make the million an IUFB and see who comes closest (without going over, of course). [/quote]
 $1,000,000 Plinko- Too easy and much better odds than doing it with the wheel (1/9 for Plinko to 1/20 for wheel)

Million dollar IUFB- You could just bid $1,000,000 and win :-P

Kevin Prather

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2004, 10:16:23 PM »
[quote name=\'JayC\' date=\'May 2 2004, 06:49 PM\'] [quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'May 2 2004, 08:39 PM\'] What about $1,000,000 Plinko?  One chip for one million.  If they ever do a college special again, they could make the million an IUFB and see who comes closest (without going over, of course). [/quote]

Million dollar IUFB- You could just bid $1,000,000 and win :-P [/quote]
 WHOOOOOOSH!