Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Paranoia Question  (Read 2032 times)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Paranoia Question
« on: May 04, 2004, 07:22:07 PM »
Remembering back to the short run of "Paranoia," the players could spend $1,000 to trade one Satellite player for another, or $3,000 to knock a player out of the game completely.  

Questions:

Did that money go to the forced out player, or disappear back to the vault?

If you were to Swap Out a Satellite player with one strike, would the new player come in with no strikes?

Thanks,
Travis
Travis L. Eberle

tyshaun1

Paranoia Question
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2004, 07:28:05 PM »
Questions:

I believe for the first couple of shows, no one got the money, and then they started awarding the spent money to the home contestants.

If you were to Swap Out a Satellite player with one strike, would the new player come in with no strikes?

I don't believe that ever happened on the show (and I have all 12 on tape)

Thanks,
Travis

You're Welcome,
Tyshaun
« Last Edit: May 04, 2004, 07:28:36 PM by tyshaun1 »

MikeK

• Martha!
Paranoia Question
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2004, 07:58:45 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'May 4 2004, 07:22 PM\'] Remembering back to the short run of "Paranoia," the players could spend $1,000 to trade one Satellite player for another, or $3,000 to knock a player out of the game completely.  

Questions:

Thanks,
Travis [/quote]
 From the official rules...

At any time during the play of the Paranoia rounds, a Studio Contestant may eliminate one Location Contestant by agreeing to relinquish $3,000 which shall go to the Location Contestant. The game will then continue against the remaining Location Contestant(s). If a Studio Contestant relinquishes $1,000 he/she may exchange one Location Contestant for another Location Contestant. The $1,000 will go to the Location Contestant.

The second scenario happened when I tried out for Paranoia and I was involved in said situation.  The replacement player inherits any strikes accrued by the swapped out player.  I replaced a swapped out player who had one strike.

Craig Karlberg

Paranoia Question
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2004, 05:30:18 AM »
Paying $3,000 to knock off a Satellite  player was a very risky proposition.  Not only does it keep the player from going for the max $1.5 million possible jackpot question, it also cuts down the number of questions that are needed to win the game anyway.  To me, the $1,000 Swap-out was the most common strategy used thus in effect, making sure there was still a chance a player would try for the 100x question with a lot of money left over.

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
Paranoia Question
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2004, 08:12:27 AM »
Dear Craig:

WTF?

1) How many times did you see a contestant use the knock-out option?  (Hint: pretty much every show)

2) How many times did you see a contestant use the swap-out option?  (Hint: Considerably less than every show)

3) You were never going to go for the $1.5M Jackpot.  Ever.  1/3rd of that was conditioned on the performance of the online and phone players.

4) Knocking out a player was very much NOT risky.  If you only have one opponent left, and you pay $3,000, you win the game.  Hello?  McFly?

5) The difference between $3,000 and $1,000 is $2,000.  If you swap-out instead of knock-out, and your opponent reveals two right answers, that's the other $2k right there.  Actually, it's more than $2k because of the home-player drainage.  THAT'S your risky proposition.

Sheesh.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

googoohead

Paranoia Question
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2004, 09:33:00 PM »
I actually won $$$ on the home portion of "Paranoia".  I think I got a check for $100.

leszekp

Paranoia Question
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2004, 11:12:18 PM »
You got $50 each time you were chosen as one of the home viewers who got a Paranoia challenge question, and answered it correctly.