Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Overstaying your welcome  (Read 5257 times)

beatlefreak84

Overstaying your welcome
« on: May 23, 2004, 11:44:29 PM »
Hello all,

First off, it's good to have our home back!  :)

But, anyway, I had a burning question on my mind today:  There were many game shows throughout history in which the winner of a bonus round would retire undefeated; otherwise, he/she could keep coming back until defeated.  Obviously, that brings up two questions:

1.  What are the shows on which a contestant could conceivably stay on as long as he/she kept winning the front game and losing the bonus round?  (eg. Davidson Squares and Split Second do not count since you'd win the grand prize by winning 5 games).

The ones I can think of:

Classic Concentration (after the format change)
Top Card
Wipeout (once they instated returning champs)
Now You See It (Narz version)
Hollywood Showdown (all contestants stayed on for a week, so I consider this akin to staying on until winning a bonus round)

Can you think of any more?

2.  If you were personally on one of these shows, would you purposely blow the bonus round so you could keep coming back?

My opinion:  It would depend on the show I was on.  For example, I think I'd hold out a little on NYSI, HS, or Wipeout, but I wouldn't on TC nor CC since those are based on luck (at least, part of the shows); I'm not willing to stick around on shows that I may lose because I pick the wrong number or make the wrong call on a card!

What do you think?

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

BrandonFG

Overstaying your welcome
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2004, 11:49:58 PM »
[quote name=\'beatlefreak84\' date=\'May 23 2004, 10:44 PM\'] 1.  What are the shows on which a contestant could conceivably stay on as long as he/she kept winning the front game and losing the bonus round?  (eg. Davidson Squares and Split Second do not count since you'd win the grand prize by winning 5 games).
 [/quote]
 -70s Pyramids
-Whew!
-70s TJW (once you won the Joker's Jackpot)
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Clay Zambo

Overstaying your welcome
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2004, 12:13:57 AM »
[quote name=\'beatlefreak84\' date=\'May 23 2004, 10:44 PM\'] 2.  If you were personally on one of these shows, would you purposely blow the bonus round so you could keep coming back? [/quote]
 You're kidding, right?  You get far enough to play a bonus game, you play it to win.  Getting another chance is too unlikely a proposition to throw an endgame.

My two cents, anyway.
czambo@mac.com

tommycharles

Overstaying your welcome
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2004, 12:22:41 AM »
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' date=\'May 23 2004, 11:13 PM\'] [quote name=\'beatlefreak84\' date=\'May 23 2004, 10:44 PM\'] 2.  If you were personally on one of these shows, would you purposely blow the bonus round so you could keep coming back? [/quote]
You're kidding, right?  You get far enough to play a bonus game, you play it to win.  Getting another chance is too unlikely a proposition to throw an endgame.

My two cents, anyway. [/quote]
 It happened on Classic Concentration, oddly enough. Some idiot threw the bonus round so he could win more prizes....

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Overstaying your welcome
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2004, 01:12:31 AM »
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' date=\'May 23 2004, 11:13 PM\'] [quote name=\'beatlefreak84\' date=\'May 23 2004, 10:44 PM\'] 2.  If you were personally on one of these shows, would you purposely blow the bonus round so you could keep coming back? [/quote]

My two cents, anyway. [/quote]
 Unless the lovely Justy and handsome Metro didn't satisfy you.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Overstaying your welcome
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2004, 05:09:15 AM »
It happened on Classic Concentration, oddly enough. Some idiot threw the bonus round so he could win more prizes....
So what happened? Did he win the next match?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Overstaying your welcome
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2004, 11:42:30 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'May 24 2004, 02:09 AM\']
So what happened? Did he win the next match? [/quote]
 This came up not long ago, and I believe he did not, further solifidying the abject stupidity of such a strategy.

Ya know, part of "being a desirable contestant", which is the best way to get selected to compete on these programs we love so well, is displaying a willingness to play the game in a fashion desired by the contestant coordinators. Yes, a Michael Larson slips through the cracks every so often, but that's a special case. I would think that going to your audition with the intent of trying to "game" the game, or going in and letting on that you're trying to hide the fact that you're gonna try to beat the system, would be a good way to be reintroduced to the street in an expedient manner.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

J.R.

Overstaying your welcome
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2004, 01:36:14 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'May 24 2004, 10:42 AM\'] [quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'May 24 2004, 02:09 AM\']
This came up not long ago, and I believe he did not, further solifidying the abject stupidity of such a strategy.

[/quote]
 And, according to what I've been told. The contestant managed to win the game on the next episode, where he then blew the Winners Circle on purpose again, he lost the next match, which sent him packing.

I would never let a "Handsome Metro" satisfy me ! : )
-Joe R.
-Joe Raygor

BrandonFG

Overstaying your welcome
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2004, 01:38:58 PM »
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' date=\'May 24 2004, 12:36 PM\']

I would never let a "Handsome Metro" satisfy me ! : )
-Joe R. [/quote]
 Line Of The Day! :-)
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Matt Ottinger

Overstaying your welcome
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2004, 01:53:05 PM »
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' date=\'May 24 2004, 12:13 AM\'] [quote name=\'beatlefreak84\' date=\'May 23 2004, 10:44 PM\'] 2.  If you were personally on one of these shows, would you purposely blow the bonus round so you could keep coming back? [/quote]
You're kidding, right?  You get far enough to play a bonus game, you play it to win.  Getting another chance is too unlikely a proposition to throw an endgame. [/quote]
 I dunno.  I've been on two game shows now, and the one thing that both experiences had in common was that when I was done, I really, really, really wanted to play some more.

So if I was faced with the choice between winning a low-end automobile or getting to play Concentration some more, knowing that I'd never get the opportunity to play Concentration on television ever again, I'm not so sure I wouldn't want to sandbag the bonus and go another round.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

gameshowguy2000

Overstaying your welcome
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2004, 01:54:50 PM »
The only other one I can think of is the 2000 version of 21, where the champs can keep going until defeated, whether or not they won anything in the "Perfect 21" bonus round.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Overstaying your welcome
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2004, 02:20:17 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'May 24 2004, 10:54 AM\'] The only other one I can think of is the 2000 version of 21, where the champs can keep going until defeated, whether or not they won anything in the "Perfect 21" bonus round. [/quote]
 While you're technically correct, before they reigned in the budget on that show, the money they were throwing around in the front game was so obscene that to call Perfect 21 anyting other than an "interlude" gives it more credit than it deserves.

"Congratulations, you just won your fourth game, and you are now a millionaire. Here's a snowball's chance in hell to win another $210,000, but it'll prolly be closer to $100,000 if anything, and your next front game will be for $500,000, so who really gives a rip."
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

adamjk

Overstaying your welcome
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2004, 03:10:31 PM »
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' date=\'May 24 2004, 12:36 PM\'] [quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'May 24 2004, 10:42 AM\'] [quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'May 24 2004, 02:09 AM\']

[/quote]
And, according to what I've been told. The contestant managed to win the game on the next episode, where he then blew the Winners Circle on purpose again, he lost the next match, which sent him packing.

[/quote]
 I'm sorta curious, but as this was happening, what was Alex's reaction?

aaron sica

Overstaying your welcome
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2004, 03:34:02 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'May 24 2004, 03:10 PM\'] I'm sorta curious, but as this was happening, what was Alex's reaction? [/quote]
 It shocked him to the point where he ran to the dressing room and shaved off his moustache.

Wait - never mind, I'm 10 years early.

uncamark

Overstaying your welcome
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2004, 05:25:11 PM »
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' date=\'May 24 2004, 12:36 PM\']

I would never let a "Handsome Metro" satisfy me ! : )[/quote]
And we were going to send Seacrest over to your house tomorrow morning...  :)