Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: This Week's Classic Game Show TV Milestones  (Read 1563 times)

AH3RD

This Week's Classic Game Show TV Milestones
« on: June 15, 2004, 02:57:54 PM »
JUNE 13, 1975

2 popular game shows bit the dust on CBS Daytime: The Joker's Wild and Now You See It.

The climax of the 686th and final CBS Joker episode saw Jack Barry giving a lengthy speech, in which he mentions his partner Dan Enright and gave notice to TJW's replacement on CBS the following Monday:

"Ladies and gentlemen, this is the last Joker's Wild program. On Monday, a new program will appear here. It is called Spin-Off, and it features a very good friend of mine, Jim Lange. I hope that you will watch it, 'cause I'm sure you will enjoy it.

"686 programs ago, I had the distinct pleasure of saying, 'Welcome to
The Joker's Wild.’ I could not have been able to say that then, nor could I say goodbye to you now, without acknowledging the contributions made by my friends here at CBS, notably the chief of programs, Mr. Fred Silverman, Mr. Bud Grant, Mr. Oscar Katz, and Mr. Mike Ogiens; their patience has been monumental, their loyalty has been terrific, as it has been to those of you who are watching.

“I'd also like to pay a special tribute, along with my Executive Producer Dan Enright, to 2 individuals who have helped so much to make this the 3-year success that it has enjoyed here on CBS, in particular our Director, Richard Kline, without whom we could not have done the program, and the great contributions made by our Producer, Justin Edgerton. At the end of this program, I cannot---there is not time for me to list everybody; you will see a full list of the names of the people both on the technical staff and on the staff of my own company without whom we could not have brought you 686 programs.

"We hope that you have enjoyed them. It's been a great privilege for me to have been with you these 3 years; they have been the very, very happiest and most productive years of my life. We'll be seeing you again shortly, and so, for the 686th time, this is Jack Barry, for all of us here on
The Joker's Wild,  thanking you for your loyalty and saying goodbye."

Jack Barry then walked off the original set of The Joker's Wild for the very last time, after which, the studio gradually darkens, save for the lights of The Joker's Wild's 1-armed bandit slot machine, and the long credits crawl commences. Camera then zoomed in on the three windows of the giant 1-armed bandit---the only visible portion of the set---that displayed the show's title; these windows then shut off one by one, leaving the set dark.

Thus perished the original CBS Daytime edition of The Joker's Wild. By this time, it had abandoned its omnipresent Joker's Jackpot and Jokers And Devils bonus round in favor of a new Money And Devil's bonus round. It featured celebrity contestants playing for charity in January of 1974 and by this point had also instituted a new musical theme: Alan Thicke's "The Joker's Jive (Version B)". NBC routed Celebrity Sweepstakes into the 10 a.m. spot opposite Joker on CBS in January 1975, therefore committing its decline in ratings. The Joker's Wild was Jack Barry's last network game; his next hosting gig was the 1976-77 weekly syndicated primetime edition of Break The Bank (after its 1976 ABC Daytime version [hosted by Tom Kennedy], despite monstrous ratings, fell victim to expanding daytime dramas), which he produced together with Dan Enright.

Barry and Enright sold repeats of the 1974-75 CBS season of The Joker's Wild to several markets, including KTLA in Los Angeles and WOR in New York (where it debuted in February 1977). The immense popularity of these repeats foreshadowed TJW's return to TV in a new first-run syndicated edition in September 1977, which yielded a 9-year hit!

Now You See It's finale ended with Dale Lourdes playing its final solo game and breaking a $5,000 bank. Jack Narz said at the end of this series, "On April 1, 1974, which was April Fool's Day, that's when we started! We've been on the air 13 months and 13 days, and this is Friday the 13th, and I think somebody's tryin' to tell me something!" (This may have provided insight as to why NYSI didn't last longer than it did!) Then he thanked the staff at CBS, the boys and girls on NYSI's staff, and the home audience for its support and letters, and remarked, "We've had a ball, and we'll see you soon!" TattleTales, another CBS Daytime G-T staple, replaced NYSI the following Monday.

Now You See It was also Jack Narz's very last daytime network game show; he continued to host G-T's syndicated Concentration until its conclusion in 1978 and finished his career doing announcing work (for Card Sharks and The All-New Beat The Clock) and guest shots on other GS. Now You See It would be given its second wind by Mark Goodson and CBS in 1989, with a couple of changes: Los Angeles-based KABC-TV newsman Chuck Henry as new host and with minor rule changes from the final edition of the 1975 version. The revived NYSI went head-to-head against NBC’s ratings monster, Classic Concentration (a resurrection of the previous 1973-78 Jack Narz-emceed G-T favorite!), and lasted just 15 miserable weeks. Henry, now an anchor/reporter for the 6:00 and 11:00 newscasts for KNBC-TV Channel 4 (the Burbank NBC affiliate), was apparently embarrassed at his lone game show hosting stint, and, feeling it would taint his reputation as a newscaster, has strictly enforced that his version of NYSI not be rerun by anyone!

Contd.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2004, 04:48:54 PM by AH3RD »
Aaron Handy III - ah07_1999@yahoo.com

The ABC Password Page

The Aaron Handy III TV Web Shrine

AH3RD

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2004, 02:58:52 PM »
JUNE 14, 1985

It was, as Chris Lambert called, “one of the most tear-filled goodbyes in TV history.”

The original run of Family Feud reached the finish line on ABC Daytime, after 9 years and 2,311 shows.

The End began with host Richard Dawson entering to a standing ovation which got him emotional. The Murphy Family (the champs) took on The Mackin Family. (Both got black-stemmed lollipops, each earning themselves an extra $100!) The first question asked was “Name something mothers make children wear for protection,” for which the most popular answer was “Coat“. The Mackins defeated The Murphys with $504 and copped an extra $5000 in the final Fast Money Round. During this round, Dawson, rarely joking anymore due to his moroseness, managed to crack one when he asked, “How old you think Ronald Reagan looks?”; when the contestant replied “80” (which 5 people said), Dawson quipped: “I hope a crisis comes up internationally so that The President doesn’t see our last show, ‘cause both you and I will be sent to Grenada!” The #1 answer, incidentally, was “60.” He added, “I’d say he looks about 65; I think his neck looks about 90!”

The final moments saw Dawson alone on the empty, barren Feud set, making a long, tearful farewell speech:

“I've had the most incredible luck in my career. I've done lots and lots of jobs, and I've never, ever had a job like Family Feud. I've never dreamed I would ever have a job where so many people could touch me and I could touch them. And it was a great magic about this show that I've never seen on any other show. I want to publicly acknowledge Howard Felsher, who is our Executive Producer. He was a producer in the beginning of this show, and he helped steer and guide the way that we went. And he and I fall a lot of times, but I tell you that he's important and I should acknowledge him, because he's the one, with me, that, we said, ‘Let anybody come on this show, anyone that can play this game, no matter what color or creed, no matter if they're in a wheelchair or they have no sight.’ And we've had everybody on this show, and he was very, very important in that and I acknowledge and thank him for it.

“I thanked my crew, and I thanked my director already. I had the best staff you've ever dreamed of. You can't...but you don't have to dream of them, ‘cause I'm gonna take them with me. Even if I never work again, they'll just be near me. They are so special and wonderful. ABC, Jackie Smith, Wally Weltman, Joe C. Albeth; they kept us on the air probably a year more than they should have, ‘cause we weren't really helping them. You know, our ratings weren't that good, and they were so great. They buried themselves carrying us, and I love them for that, not that I wanted to hurt 'em, 'cause I love 'em. They were good people. There were people I know that got upset that I kiss people; I kiss them for luck and love, that's all. That's what my mother did to me. There were people upset that I would embrace or hug someone of a different color. The first time I ever saw people of any color was when D-Day left from my hometown in England, to go and free Europe in the war. And there was every color you could imagine, and I'd not seen that in England! And I'd asked my mother about it; I said, ‘Is there something wrong?’ She said, ‘God...God makes people. You understand that, don't you?’ And I said, ‘Yeah!’ She said, ‘Who makes a rainbow?’ I said, ‘God.’ She said, ‘I never presumed to tell anyone who could make a rainbow what color to make children.’ And she changed my whole life with that statement.

“All I can tell you is, this has been a
very special 9 years of my life! If I never do another thing, I've met the good, sweet people of the world. So I leave you, with love, and for the little girl that, 9 years ago, I first signed to--I guess she's 13, now--I'll think of you every day. God bless all the little children in the world. Thank you.”

Family Feud
at its finest. As Gene Wood wrapped up the fee plugs, he intoned, “Thank you, Richard, thank you, America.” The short credits crawl superimposed over the audience giving yet another standing ovation as a wet-cheeked, grief-beset Richard Dawson stood pulling tissues from a Kleenex box (provided by a stage hand), comforted by his daughter-in-law, Cathy Hughart Dawson, the show's producer, as The Feud breathed its last gasp. Interestingly, the credits rolled without music--though there was a slight hint of melancholy piano music heard before the final fadeout...

The syndicated nighttime edition of The Feud continued for 3 months after, before wrapping up in September after 8 years (1977-85), thus bringing down the curtain on the first chapter of Family Feud. In its 9 year existence, 2,311 network daytime shows (1976-1985), 976 syndicated evening ˝ -hour shows (1977-1985), and 17 ABC primetime 1-hour specials (1978-1984) had been produced, with $1,557,150 given away to charity on 170 celebrity specials on the daytime and nighttime shows, and $14,833,000 won by contestants.

But within 3 years, a new chapter of The Feud would open, on a new network…and with a new host!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2004, 03:08:42 PM by AH3RD »
Aaron Handy III - ah07_1999@yahoo.com

The ABC Password Page

The Aaron Handy III TV Web Shrine

uncamark

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2004, 03:25:53 PM »
Somebody could correct me who knows better, but I believe the man Jack Barry was referring to in his closing remarks was Mike *Ogiens,* who worked in CBS' daytime programming department well into the 80s, IIRC.

adamjk

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2004, 03:35:47 PM »
Dawson, rarely joking anymore due to his moroseness

Forgive me for sounding dumb, but what does that mean? Moroseness that is.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2004, 03:36:06 PM by adamjk »

aaron sica

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2004, 03:41:35 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Jun 15 2004, 03:35 PM\']
Dawson, rarely joking anymore due to his moroseness

Forgive me for sounding dumb, but what does that mean? Moroseness that is. [/quote]
 It means he was ill-tempered, gloomy, etc..

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2004, 03:19:39 AM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Jun 15 2004, 12:25 PM\'] Somebody could correct me who knows better, but I believe the man Jack Barry was referring to in his closing remarks was Mike *Ogiens,* who worked in CBS' daytime programming department well into the 80s, IIRC. [/quote]
You know another Mike Ogiens?

686 programs ago, I had the distinct pleasure of saying, 'Welcome to The Joker's Wild.’ I could not have been able to say that then, nor could I say goodbye to you now, without acknowledging the contributions made by my friends here at CBS, notably the chief of programs, Mr. Fred Silverman, Mr. Bud Grant, Mr. Oscar Katz, and Mr. Mike Ogiens
Not a word of thanks to the man who took Jack Barry under his wing after Barry had been exiled from the business, and who developed and made TJW possible: Mark Goodson.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2004, 03:32:56 AM by chris319 »