Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Jeopardy try-outs  (Read 2975 times)

bellbm

Jeopardy try-outs
« on: June 21, 2004, 12:58:43 PM »
My brother will be trying out for Jeopardy on Saturday.  Can anyone give me any advice to pass on as far as what to expect.  I know they start with a 50 question test, but beyond that I would imagine they want people who quickly select categories, phrase "answers" properly, etc.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Jeopardy try-outs
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2004, 01:17:16 PM »
I only took the "Millionaire" test in August 2002, which isn't the same, obviously, but it's more similar than you think.   At the point of this test, all you want to worry about doing is scoring more than about 90% of the rest of the room.  I don't think the 'passing score' is a static number, but depends on the room.

From what I've read, (and I suggest you look up the Jeopardy! website, or one of several books about the show,) that you listen to Alex read the clue, then get roughly 10 seconds to write down your answer in the blank.  Don't worry about proper phrasing, just write down your answer.  Repeat 49 times.

The test is made up of the $1,600 and $2,000 level clues from mostly Literature, History, and a few Science clues.  There won't be many from Pop Culture or the Word Play topics.

-Travis
If you didn’t create it, it isn’t your content.

DrBear

Jeopardy try-outs
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2004, 02:51:18 PM »
I'd dispute that a bit based on my own experience from a couple of years ago in Chicago; there were more pop culture than I had expected. In our showing, you had to get 45 of 50 right, but the 90 percent figure is a good bet; we had 7 out of 75 or so advance (including The Man Who, Myron Meyer, our honors graduate for that session).

Best way to practice; wait until DJ, then as Alex reads the answer, get ready to write down an answer. (You DON'T have to write it as a question!) You have eight seconds after the answer is read at the test.

Should you pass, you'll play a mock game using a Powerpoint type presentation for the game board. Just be yourself; if you fake it, it will be obvious. They'll run it as a real game; you'll play a few questions, then stop for an interview, then play a few more. (My big screw up was not realizing this and going right into the interview).
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

Steve McClellan

Jeopardy try-outs
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2004, 11:13:30 PM »
I'll second that dispute. An friend of mine from high school took the test last week, and after scoring over 40 on the two practice tests at Ronnie O'Rourke's site, failed the real one, claiming that it was all of the "current stuff" that brought her down.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Jeopardy try-outs
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2004, 12:29:33 AM »
The test is made up of the $1,600 and $2,000 level clues from mostly Literature, History, and a few Science clues. There won't be many from Pop Culture or the Word Play topics.

This has changed over time. The modernized Teen Tourney test in the new J! book for example, is far superior than the ones in the old J! book for practicing players. Lots more of the current categories and answer stylings. Of course, the obvious contemporary names and pop culture doesn't hurt. :)

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck