Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Price is Right Accident  (Read 5208 times)

mmb5

Price is Right Accident
« on: June 29, 2004, 08:39:41 AM »
Apparently in Australia, the Big Wheel comes to life:

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/st...2^10431,00.html

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

WhammyPower

Price is Right Accident
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2004, 09:13:02 AM »
See, that's what happens when the handles are too skinny to pull the weight.

Particleman

Price is Right Accident
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2004, 11:34:35 AM »
That's really bizarre.  How do you explain something like that to your co-workers and friends?

byrd62

Price is Right Accident
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2004, 08:27:00 PM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' date=\'Jun 29 2004, 07:39 AM\']Apparently in Australia, the Big Wheel comes to life:

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/st...2^10431,00.html

--Mike[/quote]
Even radio sports talk host and ESPN personality Jim Rome weighed in on that Aussie TPiR incident in his own unique way:

The Australians have their own Price Is Right show. They have the Australian version of Bob Barker. They have the Australian guy who shouts come on down. They have the Austral skanks throwing themselves and washers and dryers. And of course they have the wheel that they spin to get into the showcase showdown. It is basically the same show. With one exception. No one on American Price Is Right has ever maimed themselves with the big wheel. A contestant named Dean, from Melbourne, ‘came on down’, and then promptly took himself out with the wheel. He spun the wheel and then the handle came swinging back at him and smashed him in the melon.

He knocked himself to the ground, split his head, bled all over the set, and had to be carted off in an ambulance. “Larry said to give the wheel a big spin, and as I did the handle cracked me on the head. The wheel was heavy. It had concrete in it, I reckon. I was seeing stars for a while. They took me out back and tried to control the bleeding until the ambulance came. My wife finished playing for me.” Dean. Uh, dude, it’s a game show, no need to try and decapitate yourself with the wheel. No bonus points for nearly severing your own head. Easy bro. Is a free refrigerator really worth dying over? The cut took 5 stitches to close.

I wonder if there are other differences between American Price Is Right and the Australian version. I mean, other than contestants trying to kill themselves on the set. I mean, does the Aussie Bob Barker try and tap the skanks like the American version has? Does the Aussie Bob Barker run the skanks off after they get old and used up. There are a lot of remaining questions that I need answered. Is their version, tired, old, and played like the one here? There are a lot of things that I need to know about. ….come on down! And have your head taken off by the wheel of death! They should strap helmets on the contestants from now on before someone gets killed.

http://www.jimrome.com/home/article/article_2.html

Rome admits having watched TPiR when he was young, but says he swore off game shows the day PYL was cancelled.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2004, 08:27:41 PM by byrd62 »

TheInquisitiveOne

Price is Right Accident
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2004, 09:32:56 PM »
Excuse me for being dense, but I still can't form the image of that incident in my mind. Can someone help me with a detailed explanation?

The Inquisitive One
This is the Way.

Brandon Brooks

Price is Right Accident
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2004, 10:13:22 PM »
[quote name=\'TheInquisitiveOne\' date=\'Jun 29 2004, 08:32 PM\'] Excuse me for being dense, but I still can't form the image of that incident in my mind. Can someone help me with a detailed explanation? [/quote]
 Grab a vertical wheel with handles on the sides, pull it with all your might, and stand close to the side of the wheel.  Try it; you'll enjoy it.

Brandon Brooks

TheInquisitiveOne

Price is Right Accident
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2004, 10:26:16 PM »
[quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'Jun 29 2004, 09:13 PM\'] [quote name=\'TheInquisitiveOne\' date=\'Jun 29 2004, 08:32 PM\'] Excuse me for being dense, but I still can't form the image of that incident in my mind. Can someone help me with a detailed explanation? [/quote]
Grab a vertical wheel with handles on the sides, pull it with all your might, and stand close to the side of the wheel.  Try it; you'll enjoy it.

Brandon Brooks [/quote]
 NOW it makes sense. If he had a lack of awareness of staying away from the wheel after spinning it, it's no wonder he got clocked.

I'm glad it did not get any worse.

The Inquisitive One
This is the Way.

Craig Karlberg

Price is Right Accident
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2004, 05:55:40 AM »
I'm glad it happened down in Austraillia instead of here in America.  Can you imagine the rokus that would've caused here?  LOL!!!  That would be a riot definitely!

Brandon Brooks

Price is Right Accident
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2004, 09:24:32 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Jun 30 2004, 04:55 AM\'] I'm glad it happened down in Austraillia instead of here in America.  Can you imagine the rokus that would've caused here?  LOL!!!  That would be a riot definitely! [/quote]
 "I'm glad someone got their head baashed down there than in this country!  Tat wuld be a mezi!"

Brandon Brooks

whampyl03

Price is Right Accident
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2004, 10:17:47 AM »
Dean pressed on with the game until Emdur noticed there was blood running down his face.

Wait... This guy actually didn't KNOW that he got hit in the head with an oversized wheel?  Of course, I've been hit in the head too many times to know what it feels like, so I guess that in this situation, it's understandable.

I wonder in this specific situation if medical fees get taken out of the contestant's daily winnings, or if the network actually feels bad enough for the poor guy that they pick them up?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Price is Right Accident
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2004, 11:55:26 AM »
[quote name=\'whampyl03\' date=\'Jun 30 2004, 07:17 AM\'] Wait... This guy actually didn't KNOW that he got hit in the head with an oversized wheel?  

[/quote]
 I got clocked in the head with a hockey puck a couple years ago at a game.

(Guy in front row: "That explains a lot!")

Security, get him out. Anyhow:

It took me a solid minute to realize that it was in fact the puck that hit me, and that same minute to figure out that it had drawn blood. When you get conked good, totally out of the blue, not expecting it at all. it takes a little time to put the events together in reverse to figure out what the hell happened. :)

I wonder in this specific situation if medical fees get taken out of the contestant's daily winnings, or if the network actually feels bad enough for the poor guy that they pick them up?

You have GOT to be kidding me.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

rigsby

Price is Right Accident
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2004, 12:11:08 PM »
[quote name=\'whampyl03\' date=\'Jun 30 2004, 09:17 AM\'] I wonder in this specific situation if medical fees get taken out of the contestant's daily winnings, or if the network actually feels bad enough for the poor guy that they pick them up? [/quote]
 I think the liability issues would make the network feel more than bad enough.

mmb5

Price is Right Accident
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2004, 12:54:31 PM »
[quote name=\'rigsby\' date=\'Jun 30 2004, 11:11 AM\'] [quote name=\'whampyl03\' date=\'Jun 30 2004, 09:17 AM\'] I wonder in this specific situation if medical fees get taken out of the contestant's daily winnings, or if the network actually feels bad enough for the poor guy that they pick them up? [/quote]
I think the liability issues would make the network feel more than bad enough. [/quote]
 It wouldn't matter.  Australia has national health care.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

Matt Ottinger

Price is Right Accident
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2004, 01:18:03 PM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' date=\'Jun 30 2004, 12:54 PM\'] [quote name=\'rigsby\' date=\'Jun 30 2004, 11:11 AM\']
I think the liability issues would make the network feel more than bad enough. [/quote]
It wouldn't matter.  Australia has national health care.
 [/quote]
 Interesting stumping point for Kerry:

"Are you concerned about being injured while appearing on a game show?  Under my new plan, anyone who takes a shot to the head by the Big Wheel would pay no more than a one dollar deductible (in one spin or a combination of two spins)..."
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

MikeK

• Martha!
Price is Right Accident
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2004, 01:34:03 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jun 30 2004, 01:18 PM\'] Interesting stumping point for Kerry:

"Are you concerned about being injured while appearing on a game show?  Under my new plan, anyone who takes a shot to the head by the Big Wheel would pay no more than a one dollar deductible (in one spin or a combination of two spins)..." [/quote]
 Without getting too political...

Isn't Flip Flop more appropriate for Kerry? :-)