Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Jeopardy! vs. Wimbledon Tennis  (Read 3355 times)

DjohnsonCB

Jeopardy! vs. Wimbledon Tennis
« on: July 01, 2004, 06:11:49 PM »
If Jeopardy! airs at 4:30 PM (Central) in your area, or earlier in the afternoon, on your NBC station, it may be bumped or delayed and reshown in the wee hours tonight and tomorrow night due to Wimbledon coverage.

It applies to at least two markets I know of: my own Omaha station will run the two shows at 1:50 and 2:35 AM respectively.  KSHB in Kansas City (I REFUSE to refer to it as "NBC Action News" which it prefers to call itself, which makes it sound like a damn cable news channel) also won't have it at 4:30 but I don't know when they'll show them if ever.  

As they always say, check your local listings.
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2004, 06:18:56 PM »
It's interesting that in the 60's and 70's the local stations would pre-empt daytime network programs for syndication and now it's syndication bumped for network.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2004, 06:25:21 PM »
Oh lord, believe me, syndication still bumps network. I remember griping all the time when Whose Line is it Anyway would be trumped by KOMO for a Billy Graham special.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2004, 06:25:47 PM by whoserman »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2004, 06:47:30 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Jul 1 2004, 03:25 PM\'] Oh lord, believe me, syndication still bumps network. I remember griping all the time when Whose Line is it Anyway would be trumped by KOMO for a Billy Graham special. [/quote]
 ...and if you knew what Billy Graham was paying for that airtime, you'd tell ABC to go screw too.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

dzinkin

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2004, 06:51:27 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Jul 1 2004, 06:25 PM\'] Oh lord, believe me, syndication still bumps network. I remember griping all the time when Whose Line is it Anyway would be trumped by KOMO for a Billy Graham special. [/quote]
My personal favorite example dates back to when Roseanne was still in first-run; our ABC affiliate, which also happened to own the rights to the prior seasons running in syndication, actually replaced a first-run network episode with a syndicated episode it had on hand.

It struck me as odd at the time, because I thought that nearly all syndication contracts prohibited running the show in the same daypart as the network, as was the case with Family Feud and Wheel of Fortune when both were on a network and in syndication at the same time... but I wasn't a Roseanne fan so I didn't give it much thought. :-D
« Last Edit: July 01, 2004, 06:53:00 PM by dzinkin »

anthony_goods

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2004, 07:41:14 PM »
WXII-12(Greensboro) pre-empted the 10am NBC hour in the late '80s for 30 minutes of Sally at 10 and some other show. They did not show the end of the $OTC and Classic Concentration. Fortunally, I got to see them on WSLS-10(Roanoke). Both stations pre-empted Super Password at noon for local news.

rmfromfla

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2004, 10:11:26 PM »
One of my favourite topics:  up until this point in the season ,  there were two
 shows I was not able to tape:  Christmas (because our station gave in to NBC
 and broadcast figure skating, which they had avoided for the past two years),
 and the Reagan funeral.  I e-mailed the program director at Ch. 7 in Panama
 City to see if they could move J! up to 4 PM where HS is at, but he said that
 their contract with King World forbade them to move the show (I suppose
 Saturdays are OK since they've done that with some of the reruns the past
 few weeks.)
    In past years, another plague was when NBC had the NBA on Christmas
 and Memorial Day,  plus Thansgiving NFL.  Those are gone, so the only
 potential disruptions are Christmas and New Years ("Figure Skating
 Extravaganza") and the two days of Wimbledon (Why can't all stations
 carry it at one time instead of this "12 Noon in all Time Zones" rule?)
   So today, I had to improvise:  the Montgomery, AL station that has the
 show at 9:30 AM came in enough so I could see the ending; then at 6:30,
 flip my radio over to 87.5 FM/WCTV ch. 6 in Tallahassee for "Radio
 Jeopardy"  -  the only drawback is when video clues come up...
   As for my local station, they probably won't be playing the show in the wee
 hours of Friday morning because they don't want to mess with their
 blockbuster lineup:  "The Bankruptcy Hour" (two lawyers in that field);
 "Jerry Springer"; and "Shepherd's Chapel"  (maybe all three shows have
 something in common....)

J.R.

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2004, 11:42:38 PM »
What my affilate (WHO-13) did. They aired Ken's 21st apperance at 4:00 PM CDT and then his 22nd apperance at 4:30 PM CDT. Which ment Iowans had a one day advantage on what was going to happen on Thursday before everyone else.

With the advice of Mr. Ottinger. I decided to withheld this information so as not to tempt me or someone else into posting a spoiler.

On Monday. They will air Ken's 23rd appreance on 4:00 PM CDT and (assuming he wins) his 24th apperance on 4:30 PM CDT.

(Go ahead and post a spoiler on Friday's show, I'm not around during the weekend anyway)

-Joe R.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2004, 11:43:16 PM by JRaygor »
-Joe Raygor

rugrats1

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2004, 11:57:44 PM »
KSHB in Kansas City (I REFUSE to refer to it as "NBC Action News" which it prefers to call itself, which makes it sound like a damn cable news channel)

Here in Tampa Bay, WFTS ch.28 (owned by Scripps, the same company as KSHB) call themselves "ABC Action News", and, during syndicated shows, they use the ABC logo for their bug, with nothing identifying it as being a local station. As a matter of fact, when they made the change a couple of years back, they identified ALL their shows, including syndicated programs like Pyramid and Squares, as being "on ABC" in their promos, but later changed it to "your ABC Action News station" -- apparently, ABC didn't like their stations to call themselves only by network alone.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2004, 12:24:32 AM »
[quote name=\'DjohnsonCB\' date=\'Jul 1 2004, 05:11 PM\'] If Jeopardy! airs at 4:30 PM (Central) in your area, or earlier in the afternoon, on your NBC station, it may be bumped or delayed and reshown in the wee hours tonight and tomorrow night due to Wimbledon coverage.
 [/quote]
Off topic: Has anyone noticed how far down the drain NBC Sports has gone?  They have NASCAR....Olympics...and Tennis. (and coming soon...Badminton! [per Sports Illustrated.])

Obgameshow: John McEnroe, a tennis player, hosted The Chair.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2004, 01:23:28 AM by Dsmith »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

aaron sica

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2004, 12:26:34 AM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Jul 2 2004, 12:24 AM\'] Off topic: Has anyone noticed how far down the drain NBC Sports has gone?  They have NASCAR....Olympics...and Tennis. (and coming soon...Badminton! [per Sports Illustrated.])

Obgameshow: John McEnroe, a tennis player hosted The Chair. [/quote]
 Considering at one time they had 3 out of the 4 major sports (MLB, NFL, NBA),  they have fallen pretty hard....

The one voice I miss is that of Charlie Jones.....He did a game show, if I'm not mistaken..Is he still alive? I loved to listen to his NBC NFL games....

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2004, 06:22:46 AM »
Didn't NBC do NHL games in the 70's?  IIRC, I thought I saw those when I was in Batavia New York around 1975.

davemackey

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2004, 07:13:31 AM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Jul 2 2004, 12:26 AM\'] The one voice I miss is that of Charlie Jones.....He did a game show, if I'm not mistaken..Is he still alive? I loved to listen to his NBC NFL games.... [/quote]
Charlie Jones actually hosted two: "Almost Anything Goes" (which at one time featured Regis Philbin as field reporter) and "Pro-Fan", a syndicated offering with matched contestants with celebrity athletes in varied competitions.

I think he's retired now.

[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Jul 2 2004, 6:22 AM\'] Didn't NBC do NHL games in the 70's? IIRC, I thought I saw those when I was in Batavia New York around 1975. [/quote]
NBC certainly did have NHL, and from what I understand they are going to be having it again in a year or two. NBC's hockey coverage featured the halftime antics of Peter Puck, an animated hockey puck in instructional segments produced by Hanna-Barbera Productions.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2004, 07:16:14 AM by davemackey »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2004, 11:36:45 AM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' date=\'Jul 2 2004, 04:13 AM\'] NBC certainly did have NHL, and from what I understand they are going to be having it again in a year or two. [/quote]
 Yeah, assuming this whole CBA thing gets ironed out, the network hockey deal (which has been pared down severely, alas...thank God for NHL Center Ice) will move to NBC, and ESPN2 will be the exclusive home to the national cable deal.

Which means seeing all of the early-round playoff games is prolly gonna suck. :P
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Michael Brandenburg

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2004, 12:44:30 PM »
Worthy of note as well is the fact that the Wimbledon tennis tournament is notorious for getting rained upon (as it has been in all but five of its 126 years), and this year was no exception with two full days of play lost to rainouts.

The Cincinnati Enquirer reported that the BBC in the U.K., which was committed to carrying the tournament, ended up filling the time with rebroadcasts of previous years' matches and a rebroadcast of a special edition of U.K.'s Weakest Link that featured former Wimbledon players.  (Now that I would have liked to see!  Hopefully it will be on BBC America soon.)

Michael Brandenburg
(Now where's that number for Dish Network satellite TV?)