Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Three Quick "Wheel of Fortune" Questions  (Read 7026 times)

HairMetalLives

Three Quick "Wheel of Fortune" Questions
« on: July 01, 2004, 09:23:17 PM »
1) How many wedges are there on the wheel?
2) What font was used on the puzzle board when Vanna still flipped the letters over?
3) What font was used from roughly 1989-1992(?) for the category names and the credits?

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2004, 09:23:36 PM by HairMetalLives »

zachhoran

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2004, 09:25:56 PM »
[quote name=\'HairMetalLives\' date=\'Jul 1 2004, 08:23 PM\'] 1) How many wedges are there on the wheel?
 [/quote]

tmq800

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2004, 09:52:13 PM »
The font used from 1989-92 was a Context Reprise-type one.  It was used since 1984 on all NBC game shows, including Wheel.

irismason42

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2004, 10:10:27 PM »
That Context Reprise-type one was used on all NBC shows minus Super Password, SP never used that particular font but Time Machine and Blockbusters '87 did use that font however.

mystery7

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2004, 10:13:26 PM »
The actual name of that ubiquitous  font is Helvetica. Context-Reprise is a recut with a different name. Happens a lot in the type world.

NBC had a real fetish over Helvetica (especially the wide, extended sizes) from the time they got their first Chyron machine in the '70s. Only Super Password was spared the use of it; unfortunately the font they used instead looked better suited for football jerseys.

The font used on the letter screens on the current Wheel is Neue Helvetica Condensed - a modernized version of the same font NBC loved so much back in the day.

HairMetalLives

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2004, 12:26:35 AM »
Thanks a lot guys! I was actually looking for the font on the trilon puzzle board, but I've been curious about the current one as well; I just didn't want to post too many questions.

Anyway, what would you say if "Wheel" did [Marc Summers]something... like this.[/Marc Summers]

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2004, 01:08:58 AM »
[quote name=\'HairMetalLives\' date=\'Jul 1 2004, 11:26 PM\']

Anyway, what would you say if "Wheel" did [Marc Summers]something... like this.[/Marc Summers] [/quote]
 Since when the hell did "battlestars" team up with "wheel"?! LOL :-p

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2004, 05:23:47 AM »
Yeah.  The triangles don't even line up like the ones on the green player's podii on Match Game.  I can understand the connection with Battlestars but as Rod Roddy would say "Forget It!".

HairMetalLives

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2004, 07:29:04 AM »
I probably shouldn't have flipped the center triangle, now that I look at it again. I made a couple more 'cause I was bored if you wanna check them out.
Set #2
Set #3

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2004, 11:40:14 AM »
I thought they looked fine. Granted, I see rainbow triangles, I think it's Gay Week on Wheel Of Fortune, but I don't have a problem with that. Hardly deserving of an impolite dismissal like "Forget It".

Set 2 kinda makes me think of Wario from the Mario Nintendo games.

Set 3 is too simple, and they used that round sunburst background in the past (back when they still USED IT for On Account and for champion's totals)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

gameshowguy2000

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2004, 11:45:04 AM »
I looked at Set 2, and it looks like they took those backgrounds from the trapezoid design of J!'s podiums.

BrandonFG

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2004, 02:57:15 PM »
I liked them...but I think I liked #2 the best. It had a retro feel to it, like the backdrops used in the late 80s, when Wheel was watchable. :-)

If they ever went back to the backdrops, I'd like to see three individual settings, patterned like the edge of the puzzleboard, that weird "plus-sign" design.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

HairMetalLives

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2004, 07:38:33 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jul 2 2004, 11:57 AM\'] If they ever went back to the backdrops, I'd like to see three individual settings, patterned like the edge of the puzzleboard, that weird "plus-sign" design. [/quote]
 I'll see if I can whip one up!

HairMetalLives

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2004, 10:07:11 PM »
Those "+" contestant backdrops are done and can be found here. Is this what you had in mind, fostergray82?

BrandonFG

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2004, 02:41:57 AM »
[quote name=\'HairMetalLives\' date=\'Jul 2 2004, 09:07 PM\'] Those "+" contestant backdrops are done and can be found here. Is this what you had in mind, fostergray82? [/quote]
 More or less...nice work. :-)
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!