Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 1985 Nighttime TPIR. What was Goodson thinking?  (Read 2459 times)

cmjb13

1985 Nighttime TPIR. What was Goodson thinking?
« on: July 14, 2004, 06:17:52 PM »
I always wondered why Goodson decide to do this.

Was he trying to capitalize on the syndie success of WOF & J!?

I'm suprised he didn't try the show with a younger host back then. (more younger than Kennedy)
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2004, 06:41:09 PM »
I always wondered why Goodson decide to do this.
Because he ran a business, and a business doesn't make money by not selling its products.

I'm suprised he didn't try the show with a younger host back then. (more younger than Kennedy)
Like that spring chicken Bob Barker?

rugrats1

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2004, 08:03:58 PM »
Of course, the success of Wheel at night probably spurred Goodson to make a nighttime version, but of course, it flopped, as more people prefer to watch Wheel.

There might've been other factors, such as Tom instead of Bob, and Johnny Olson dying mid-season. But in my opinion, Price at night with Bob Barker at the helm probably wouldn't do any better in ratings. After all, the previous nighttime version was cancelled in 1979, two years after Bob took over for Dennis James in 1977.

Also that year, Sale Of The Century and The $25,000 Pyramid had nighttime versions debuting in 1985 -- Sale lasted only 1.5 years (January 1985 to September 1986); Pyramid lasted three years (9/1985 to 9/1988). Both those shows had the same hosts as the daytime version.

zachhoran

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2004, 08:34:56 PM »
[quote name=\'rugrats1\' date=\'Jul 14 2004, 07:03 PM\'] Of course, the success of Wheel at night probably spurred Goodson to make a nighttime version, but of course, it flopped, as more people prefer to watch Wheel.

There might've been other factors, such as Tom instead of Bob, and Johnny Olson dying mid-season. [/quote]
 A show that airs in the wee hours of the night in NYC, especially back then, isn't going to help when it comes time for a renewal for next season. Kennedy TPIR aired at 2:30AM on WNBC in NYC. However, in this age, Street Smarts has managed to survive four seasons(renewed for a fifth) with time slots of 10PM or later in a large part of the country.

davemackey

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2004, 11:54:57 PM »
The difference there is that any daytime-type game show seems sadly out of place when it's run at 3:00 a.m. or so. We frequently get off-runs of "Hollywood Squares" and others at that time. In years gone by, Channel 2 in NY would frequently run "Strike It Rich" or "Win, Lose or Draw" in those junk time slots on weekends (three episodes at a time, almost like going to a taping).

But "Street Smarts" works because it's the type of show that you want to watch after you've come home after a night of heavy clubbing. Even GSN saves it for late at night.

J.R.

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2004, 01:41:34 AM »
I actually thought Kennedy Nighttime TPIR was actually pretty good and Tom Kennedy did a Damn Good Job as host too. He could of been better, but I think he was really worried of showing-up his good friend Bob.

I think the reasons all the nighttime versions of TPIR (James, Kennedy, Davidson) might of failed were due to the rather rushed 30-min formats and, you know, doesn't seeing someone else hosting TPIR seem... weird ?

Now, TNPIR 94. What was up with THAT ?!
-Joe R.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2004, 01:44:49 AM by JRaygor »
-Joe Raygor

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2004, 04:32:59 AM »
He could of been better, but I think he was really worried of showing-up his good friend Bob.

All interviews point to the exact opposite. Might be you just mixing up modern terminology (or me for all I know), but Tom wasn't at all worried about showing up Bob but rather that he'd come off as inferior on a show that by then was 200000% Bob's.

As for why nighttime TPIR didn't work - I'd say 8 years is pretty darn good. The nighttime show just petered out, that's all. Kennedy's was given poor clearances and Davidson's version was not-as-recognizable to the average channel surfer and died. It got good times where I was, and I watched most of the run as a kid.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

BrandonFG

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2004, 01:06:55 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' date=\'Jul 15 2004, 03:32 AM\'] As for why nighttime TPIR didn't work - I'd say 8 years is pretty darn good. The nighttime show just petered out, that's all. Kennedy's was given poor clearances and Davidson's version was not-as-recognizable to the average channel surfer and died. It got good times where I was, and I watched most of the run as a kid.
 [/quote]
 I actually enjoyed TPiR94 (of course, that was when there were very few games on the air, so I watched *anything*), and even now I think it was a good effort, even sans Contestants' Row, "The Price WAS Right," solo Showcase, etc. I even thought the changes were unique, but it would've worked better if it had been a revival. When you change up a show that's airing concurrently in daytime, it's going to be awkward.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2004, 06:18:14 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jul 15 2004, 01:06 PM\'] [quote name=\'JasonA1\' date=\'Jul 15 2004, 03:32 AM\'] As for why nighttime TPIR didn't work - I'd say 8 years is pretty darn good. The nighttime show just petered out, that's all. Kennedy's was given poor clearances and Davidson's version was not-as-recognizable to the average channel surfer and died. It got good times where I was, and I watched most of the run as a kid.
 [/quote]
I actually enjoyed TPiR94 (of course, that was when there were very few games on the air, so I watched *anything*), and even now I think it was a good effort, even sans Contestants' Row, "The Price WAS Right," solo Showcase, etc. I even thought the changes were unique, but it would've worked better if it had been a revival. When you change up a show that's airing concurrently in daytime, it's going to be awkward. [/quote]

Add to that the fact that Bob had to constantly say during the ticket plugs (and other parts of the show), that "there may be a nighttime show, but WE are still on the air!"

It was a weird time indeed.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2004, 06:18:39 PM by NicholasM79 »

cmjb13

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2004, 06:39:59 PM »
[quote name=\'NicholasM79\' date=\'Jul 15 2004, 06:18 PM\'] [quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jul 15 2004, 01:06 PM\'] [quote name=\'JasonA1\' date=\'Jul 15 2004, 03:32 AM\'] As for why nighttime TPIR didn't work - I'd say 8 years is pretty darn good. The nighttime show just petered out, that's all. Kennedy's was given poor clearances and Davidson's version was not-as-recognizable to the average channel surfer and died. It got good times where I was, and I watched most of the run as a kid.
 [/quote]
I actually enjoyed TPiR94 (of course, that was when there were very few games on the air, so I watched *anything*), and even now I think it was a good effort, even sans Contestants' Row, "The Price WAS Right," solo Showcase, etc. I even thought the changes were unique, but it would've worked better if it had been a revival. When you change up a show that's airing concurrently in daytime, it's going to be awkward. [/quote]

Add to that the fact that Bob had to constantly say during the ticket plugs (and other parts of the show), that "there may be a nighttime show, but WE are still on the air!"

It was a weird time indeed. [/quote]
 I don't suppose anyone would have a clip of one of those online?
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS