Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Article on "Balderdash" on CNN.com  (Read 1717 times)

inturnaround

Article on "Balderdash" on CNN.com
« on: August 01, 2004, 07:46:42 PM »
Boosler thinks retro with Balderdash

CNN.com has a very good article about Elayne Boosler's new game show Balderdash. In it, she claims that Balderdash will be like the board game and that she keeps IGaS and WML in mind for the spirit of the show.

Panelists on the show include "Oblivious" host Regan Burns, former H2 regular Bruce Vilanch and, one of my favorite comedians, the adorable Maria Bamford. Yes, it's B and C listers (and No Listers), but if they pick the right people, it won't really matter.
Joe Coughlin     
Human

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2004, 09:05:32 PM »
I don't think I'm asking a lot (we'll see...), but if Boosler and the powers that be really do keep the classic panel shows in mind for the spirit of the show, their panelists need to know that yes, making the jokes and having fun is the most important thing, but they also have to play the game AND make it look like the game is at least somewhat important to them.  When all you have on the panel are comics, that's often an iffy proposition.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

cyberjoek

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2004, 12:33:24 AM »
I think we have a good shot of a good series.  Bruce was always good with the balance of comedy / seriousness of game elements on HS and Regan seems to balance them well on Oblivious (although in both cases we can't tell how much of that is present in studio and how much is due to editing).
I can't wait to see it.
-Joe Kavanagh

whewfan

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2004, 05:49:30 AM »
It does look promising, even if it does look a little like HS with 3 celebs and no Tic Tac Toe involved.

Elaine said in the article this show would be a great place for her to improv. If this show can actually prove she's funny, then we've got something.

SplitSecond

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2004, 06:03:29 AM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' date=\'Aug 2 2004, 02:49 AM\'] It does look promising, even if it does look a little like HS with 3 celebs and no Tic Tac Toe involved. [/quote]
 I assure you that, after one glimpse at the long credits, you'll know why it looks a LOT like H^2 - 6.

This looks like as traditional of a game as any of us are going to see for awhile, so I think that it's best that we all root for its success.

urbanpreppie05

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2004, 09:09:03 AM »
This looks like as traditional of a game as any of us are going to see for awhile, so I think that it's best that we all root for its success.

Unless it's really, really bad. :-)
insert signature here

Neumms

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2004, 02:56:23 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Aug 1 2004, 08:05 PM\'] I don't think I'm asking a lot (we'll see...), but if Boosler and the powers that be really do keep the classic panel shows in mind for the spirit of the show, their panelists need to know that yes, making the jokes and having fun is the most important thing, but they also have to play the game AND make it look like the game is at least somewhat important to them.  When all you have on the panel are comics, that's often an iffy proposition. [/quote]
 It seems like this game will be like "Wordplay" and the Squares in that the stars don't really play, they just perform. Then the important part is simply that they don't hog the camera.

From the article, it seems like some decent names are mixed in with the no-names.