Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Inside the Price is RIght Home Game  (Read 4976 times)

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Inside the Price is RIght Home Game
« on: August 08, 2004, 09:45:09 PM »
Thankfully Chris Lemon answered my prayers and wanted a full review. I did pick it up today for $12.99 at K-Mart and yes you should pick it up.  For those who would like a contents picture, contact me at a link below and I can send ya the scan.

So what does it come with? Well, instructions (littered with TPIR trivia), of course, as well as a price booklet. This includes a large list of grocery items, small items, "medium prizes" ($500-$3,000), "large prizes" (3k-10k), cars (with description) and showcases. It is structured similarly to Endless' "Card Sharks" book with check boxes for marking off used items. All of the prizes and prices were quelled from the early part of season 32, per a disclaimer on the booklet.

You also get a deck of Eagle brand playing cards, with jokers for "Joker." As with his original design, four decks of eggcrate numbers, in four different colors. You also get special cards such as X's, a "VOID" for "Check Game", etc. A few special decks are used for specific games, such as "Plinko" and "Pass the Buck." 5 dice are included. A playing field for "Cliff Hangers" was on top of my set, and is the size of the box. A pawn and two stickers with Hans depicted on them are there to use with the board. Lastly from this group, there are 8 $1 bills for "Lucky Seven" - one is extra, of course.

People have been clamoring for it and now they get - Endless has dry erase components up the wazoo here, but you get FOUR count em FOUR dry erase markers to use with them. There's a check for "Check Game," "bid boards" which are basically general use pieces of dry erase material (more later) and scoreboards for totalling what each player has won on the show.

You do get the showcase showdown spinner (although slightly less sleek than the concept design) and instead of the cards as in Travis' original design - a separate wheel to determine which game is played. After a player comes out contestants row, they spin it and whatever they land on, they play.

Now, reading the full contents up there, you see that not a lot of games have their own props. This is not as bad a thing as you might think. Each game is described in detail in the book, with full color, and pictures of what it should look like on the table. For example, "Grand Game" is achieved by writing the names of grocery items on one side of the bid boards, and their prices on the other. You set a target (and the game book describes to a newbie how this is determined) and use eggcrates to show how much money the player has.

I won't type the FULL list of 45 games, but among the ones people might get excited over - "It's in the Bag," "Let Em Roll," "Golden Road" and more. Granted, using this set's materials and prizes, you could pretty much play any game from TPIR's history.

All told, and despite my little qualms, it's well worth the purchase, and it's also obvious to see how Endless could charge so little. Definitely a step above any release of theirs I've picked up.

-Jason
« Last Edit: August 08, 2004, 09:48:00 PM by JasonA1 »
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2004, 09:53:23 PM »
Sounds great! I can't wait to get it.

[C'mon KMart.com.....]

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2004, 10:37:34 PM »
Thanks, Jason. That strikes me as exactly what it should be, with enough glitz (eggcrate cards? ROCK!) to capture the TV-game feel. I'll have to snap one up.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

pyl85

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2004, 10:24:05 PM »
won't type the FULL list of 45 games, but among the ones people might get excited over - "It's in the Bag," "Let Em Roll," "Golden Road" and more.
Come on Plinko.......... ;-)

clemon79

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2004, 10:47:30 PM »
[quote name=\'pyl85\' date=\'Aug 9 2004, 07:24 PM\']
won't type the FULL list of 45 games, but among the ones people might get excited over - "It's in the Bag," "Let Em Roll," "Golden Road" and more.
Come on Plinko.......... ;-) [/quote]
 Yes, it has Plinko. No, it doesn't have a field you roll a ball down.

BrentW

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2004, 11:16:06 PM »
Thank you, Jason.  Your review is much appreciated.  I got excited just reading it; that is a great price for what you seem to be getting with the game.

Chris:  I didn't understand your sentence above.  I can't understand if your sentence is saying "it doesn't have a field that you roll a ball down" or if it's missing a semicolon, i.e.: "it doesn't have a field; you roll a ball down."  I hope that makes sense.  I'm just not sure what you mean.  If it doesn't have a ball, how do you play it?  

Sorry, I'm dense.  :)

-Brent

OFF-TOPIC ASIDE:
(7 DAYS UNTIL MY AUDITION FOR MILLIONAIRE'S CELEBRITY SCOOP WEEK IN NYC.  WOO-HOO.  I've also gotten tickets for Graham Norton.  :)  Maybe I will do some audience participation with some of the hot male assistants that walk the celebs in  (FAT CHANCE!!!).  :)

clemon79

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2004, 11:25:52 PM »
[quote name=\'BrentW\' date=\'Aug 9 2004, 08:16 PM\'] Chris:  I didn't understand your sentence above.  I can't understand if your sentence is saying "it doesn't have a field that you roll a ball down" or if it's missing a semicolon, i.e.: "it doesn't have a field; you roll a ball down." [/quote]
 My bad. The former is the correct interpretation. From what I saw, it appears that you have a special deck of Plinko cards, and you are winning draws from the deck instead of using any kind of Pachinko-style mechanism, be it chips or marbles or whatever. Make sense now? :)

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2004, 11:29:35 PM »
Plinko is one of the few games to have it's own unique deck of cards. Each draw is the equivalent of the end of the drop. By not printing up several "game boards" like previous MB editions and creating a sort of "universal" number/symbol card deck, they could keep the price very reasonable. It's quite the effort and nicely designed. Next time you're at a second-hand store, buy a game with a timer for the clock game and you're pretty well set.

Game Show Man

• Admiral Anaheim, Big Joey Numbers, etc.
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2004, 11:35:46 PM »
[quote name=\'BrentW\' date=\'Aug 9 2004, 08:16 PM\'] Chris:  I didn't understand your sentence above.  I can't understand if your sentence is saying "it doesn't have a field that you roll a ball down" or if it's missing a semicolon, i.e.: "it doesn't have a field; you roll a ball down."  I hope that makes sense.  I'm just not sure what you mean.  If it doesn't have a ball, how do you play it?  

Sorry, I'm dense.  :) [/quote]
 Yes you are dense. :-D

The game uses a special deck of cards to represent the nine slots on the Plinko board.  Certainly not the same as the real magilla, but the cards have some fairly authentic graphics.

I WANT THIS GAME.  BADLY.  ;-D
"Game Show Man" Joe Van Ginkel
captvangin@aol.com
"Remember, reality bites, so WATCH MORE GAME SHOWS!"

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2004, 11:37:41 PM »
Call this The Review, Part II. I come back a little bit more dissapointed, but only slightly so. First off, the Ol' Guy made the great mention that the game is cleverly designed to work for all PGs. But my fear that the time it takes to set up games was too long...came true, somewhat today. I play tested it with three friends. Flipping open the book, writing "Day Bed"...the price on the back...flip, write, price...all to play "Magic Number" where they just guessed a figure and we flipped em over. That was my only problem. Minor packing error in my copy too as I was slighted a "bid board." So we played Hi-Lo with five prizes.

The plusses were having the Big Wheel my friends were looking for in previous games as well as a better show feel to it. I mean, c'mon, bidding on $30 curling irons for an IUFB?

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

BrentW

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2004, 11:46:14 PM »
Chris (and others who replied):

Thanks for the explanation.  I thought that was what you meant, but I wanted to make sure.  And I posted the "I'm dense" thing to try and make sure I didn't get flamed by folks...GAME SHOW MAN.  ;)  

Cheers,
Brent

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2004, 12:36:43 AM »
Glad Jason broke the ice with the mention of the few very minor drawbacks. The book idea takes some getting used to, after our old MB versions with specific game prize decks with pictures to help us better know what we're bidding on, and the setup time for a pricing game could be a bit much if you have to sorta stop the game after each contestants row game to set up the pricing game. At least that's what the rule book suggests. Contestant Row game - spin to determine pricing game - set up props - play. One suggestion might be before the game gets underway - let's say if you have 5 contestants, have each player spin the pricing game spinner once. Make a list of the games spun in order. If there's a constant player as MC through the game, he or she can put some of the props/cards aside early. Then when the game gets underway, the winner of the first contestants row game plays pricing game 1, regardless of whether that player spun it or not - the winner of contestant row game 2 plays the second pricing game spun, and so on. It could move the game along. It's a shame no home game ever comes equipped with stage hands ;-) Still, there's a lot good about the game, and I'll join the crowd giving Endless an "attaboy!"
« Last Edit: August 10, 2004, 12:39:44 AM by The Ol' Guy »

JerrysFeudinAgain

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2004, 12:48:17 AM »
Sounds like this is the best TPIR home game ever.Is Bonus Game in the home version? Pics I need pics!    :)

WhammyPower

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2004, 08:24:47 AM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' date=\'Aug 8 2004, 07:45 PM\'] 5 dice are included. [/quote]
 Sounds like Dice Game to me.  :-P

DjohnsonCB

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2004, 09:32:24 AM »
[quote name=\'Game Show Man\' date=\'Aug 9 2004, 10:35 PM\']

The game uses a special deck of cards to represent the nine slots on the Plinko board.  Certainly not the same as the real magilla, but the cards have some fairly authentic graphics.

[/quote]
 I still feel that one of today's game manufacturers who hasn't shyed away from using big plastic in their products (Mattel, Pressman, etc.) should try and secure the rights to make a genuine plastic Plinko board with real chips and design a whole original game around it with both TPIR and non-TPIR elements.
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel