Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: My personal plea for B/W film colorization:  (Read 3087 times)

DjohnsonCB

My personal plea for B/W film colorization:
« on: August 16, 2004, 03:34:12 PM »
Now that I'm getting my first look since 1967 at the final CBS season of "What's My Line?" and finding so far that the shows were NOT saved in color (unless a few non-live, prerecorded eps from that season may be around on color tape), it's really kind of depressing to hear all that talk from John Daly and others on the first show about how exciting it is that the show finally went to color, but today only being treated to various shades of gray when Arlene, Phyllis and the occasional female contestant or Mystery Guest comes out in what looks to be something rainbow-hued or a solid bright single color.  The same holds true for the art cards during the end credits and the post-sponsor tag display of the show's name (the three-paneled flip after the gunshot, missing from the syndie version), which shows each word in a different color as indicated by the various shades of gray as we see them now. (I know one of them was bright green, but don't recall which one).

Actually, our family *did* have a color set that season and we did see the show occasionally on it, but the memories of certain color details are faded, aside from the obvious blue set with wood desks.

I wonder if anyone who worked on the set or art that year is still alive today?  Maybe they'd know what was used where.  That WML? book by Gil Fates ought to be rereleased with a color insert showing all the credit and title cards as viewers saw them in color if the cards still exist somewhere, and color photos from the set in that last season if any exist.

But the real favor someone needs to do is to take advantage of the advancements in colorization (I heard about this on my local news recently during an announcement that a new DVD of The Three Stooges was going to be released with the shorts in both B/W and the "improved" colorization) and give that treatment to ONLY the final-season WML?'s since they were originally broadcast that way with lighting and other details to match.  It's not the same as adding color to something that was B/W in the first place.   Yes, yes, I know...they aren't going to do it for a few GS addicts and others still think it'd be a sacrilege.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2004, 03:34:59 PM by DjohnsonCB »
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2004, 03:42:29 PM »
Ron Baldwin might know the color scheme.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

uncamark

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2004, 06:22:57 PM »
Only thing I can tell you is that the credits slides were in blue--because the art card version of the title slide (with the little detective) was used in the syndicated version as the bumper into the fee plugs and was blue.

gtbecbp

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2004, 08:18:40 PM »
I remember someone having put together color pictures of some of the B&W panel shows.  Does anyone know where the pictures are located?

Ben
« Last Edit: August 17, 2004, 08:23:12 PM by gtbecbp »

TwoInchQuad

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2004, 12:16:45 AM »
That was me, and they're down right at the moment, but I was just thinking about adding a few to the "Goodson-Todman Big 4 Page", so they'll probably reappear in the near future.

FWIW, Matt's got one from "Jeopardy!" up on the front page of his Bill Cullen website, at the moment.

Thanks for asking, by the way...  :^)

-Kevin

As for colorizing WML-- I'll be happy to spiff up the kinescopes with LUSTRE, but someone else is gonna have to take the crayons to it... I only have so much spare time...   I have restored the color opening as well as the closing slides, but only for my own enjoyment, at this point.  :^)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2004, 12:21:44 AM by TwoInchQuad »

DjohnsonCB

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2004, 06:24:14 PM »
I think I can now recall what order the colors were in on the title as it was shown between the three-panel flip and the dissolve to the theatre with the title superimposed all in white just before the panel came out.  Thanks to my limited knowledge of how to use Photoshop, a rough version of it has been posted here:

http://www.wtv-zone.com/dpjohnson/wmltitle-color

--Alex Trebel

ChuckNet

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2004, 07:16:08 PM »
I'd just hope the color doesn't look too artificial...wouldn't be good if Daly, et al. appeared to be suffering from a combination of sunburn and jaundice. :-)

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

rugrats1

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2004, 07:22:56 PM »
a rough version of it has been posted here:

http://www.wtv-zone.com/dpjohnson/wmltitle-color

All I see is HTML code -- the graphic file, apparently, doesn't exist, either.

DjohnsonCB

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2004, 08:16:25 PM »

--Alex Trebel