Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bruce Forsyth's Hot Streak  (Read 2583 times)

remlap

Bruce Forsyth's Hot Streak
« on: September 06, 2004, 09:22:35 AM »
Hi, ive been reading around about Bruce Forsyth's Hot Streak.

Can anyone tell me a little bit more info on why it failed and was Brucey loved by Americans as he is here?

Cheers

urbanpreppie05

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2004, 11:50:03 AM »
Hey! Welcome to the boards!

I'm going to be diplomatic here and give you some advice.-try searching for this stuff on Google first...our old stomping grounds can provide some information!

Also, try Kris Lane's site at www.xanfan.com. He has an EXCELLENT Hot streak page (among others)

Just remember, searching for this stuff can get you questions answered a lot faster!
insert signature here

zachhoran

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2004, 12:12:23 PM »
[quote name=\'remlap\' date=\'Sep 6 2004, 08:22 AM\'] Hi, ive been reading around about Bruce Forsyth's Hot Streak.

Can anyone tell me a little bit more info on why it failed and was Brucey loved by Americans as he is here?

Cheers [/quote]
 Bruce never had another US hosting gig after the 13-week wonder you mentioned. The show was a bit of a clone of Pyramid, and was on ABC weekdays at 11AM EST, up against Daytime Wheel of Fortune and the first half of TPIR. Like all new ABC games of the 80s, it failed to catch on and was prematurely cancelled. It took Reg Grundy and Co. some three years from the original pilot(called Party Line and hosted by Gene Rayburn; another pilot with Bruce was done later) to get it picked up as a series. Bruce is a fine host, but the US apparently didn't take to him the way they did Richard Dawson.

remlap

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2004, 01:12:52 PM »
Thank you both, I am a huge fan of Brucey from his stand up slapstick comedy days. And gameshows

I noticed he used his catchphrase on Hot Streak aswell then and I expect his pose down to

Did the audience intract with him on the first episode with his catchphrase?

tyshaun1

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2004, 05:56:14 PM »
Wasn't Bruce the original choice by Mark Goodson for Card Sharks '86? What happened with that, did he not test well or something?

Tyshaun

zachhoran

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2004, 06:34:56 PM »
[quote name=\'tyshaun1\' date=\'Sep 6 2004, 04:56 PM\'] Wasn't Bruce the original choice by Mark Goodson for Card Sharks '86? What happened with that, did he not test well or something?

Tyshaun [/quote]
 Al Martella's erstwhile game show page a couple of years back had a letter Goodson wrote once. In that letter, Goodson stated he wanted to bring Card Sharks back British-style with Bruce as host. It was decided to keep the show pretty much intact from the NBC run when finally revived(the early months of Eubanks CS had no car bonus, no Audience poll questions, or no Educated Guess questions)

whizofthequiz

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2004, 08:34:22 PM »
zachhoran

Al Martella's erstwhile game show page a couple of years back had a letter Goodson wrote once. In that letter, Goodson stated he wanted to bring Card Sharks back British-style with Bruce as host. It was decided to keep the show pretty much intact from the NBC run when finally revived(the early months of Eubanks CS had no car bonus, no Audience poll questions, or no Educated Guess questions)

Thanks, Zach, for remembering the Game Show Archive. In a letter dated 3/20/84. Mr. Goodson wrote to me:

"Card Sharks is still in syndication and there is talk about bringing it back, utilizing the British method of play which is a trifle different, and the British Host, Bruce Forsyth, who is a wonderful comedian and who would bring the show extra color."

The response was in regarding to a game show proposal I sent Mr. Goodson called "Acey Deucey - which he called a "perfectly respectable, rather well worked out format." He did say it had a "family resemblance" to Card Sharks, which was then running in Britian as "Play Your Cards Right."

By the way, in the same letter he says "there is a need for a show that combines verbal content and chance. A slightly less successful combination of gambling and quiz can be seen on PRESS YOUR LUCK. The problem with the show is that the quiz part seems a little pedestrian, and the second segment a trifle complicated."

Thanks, Zach, for an excuse to travel down Memory Lane. Good stuff!

Neumms

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2004, 01:52:18 AM »
Brucie seemed to be a love-him-or-hate-him kind of guy over here. I loved him and the show. He aired opposite TPIR on ABC, which had no other game shows at the time, so I contend the show really never had a prayer. Even worse, my affiliate (in Minneapolis) preempted it and bounced it to a very hazy UHF station instead.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2004, 02:37:46 AM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Sep 7 2004, 12:52 AM\'] Brucie seemed to be a love-him-or-hate-him kind of guy over here. I loved him and the show. He aired opposite TPIR on ABC, which had no other game shows at the time, so I contend the show really never had a prayer. Even worse, my affiliate (in Minneapolis) preempted it and bounced it to a very hazy UHF station instead. [/quote]
 When was the last time ABC had two game shows on the daytime lineup?  Can I assume it was before 1985?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2004, 03:14:02 AM »
While ACU and MG were both on concurrently in 1990, I'm assuming you're not counting Saturday morning shows. The last weekday "block" was in 1985 with ASB and FF.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.