Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Playing games with your Friends  (Read 4740 times)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Playing games with your Friends
« on: September 07, 2004, 02:42:09 AM »
I was wondering from the other fans here...how do your friends accept your interest in game shows?

Until August, I pretty much kept my interest inside, until a girl at the college that I had dated a couple of times revealed she knew the rules to "Card Sharks" [she later explained that when she had her tonsils out, all she watched was GSN]...since then, we've played Jeopardy!, Family Feud, and Wheel of Fortune, with me getting my rear kicked almost every time.

I'm sure that most friends (this isn't a topic that I discuss with guy friends) aren't as accomadating. Or am I wrong?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2004, 03:00:55 AM by Dsmith »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Johnissoevil

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2004, 02:57:32 AM »
Until August, I pretty much kept my interest inside, until a girl at the college that I had dated a couple of times revealed she knew the rules to "Card Sharks"...since then, we've played Jeopardy!, Family Feud, and Wheel of Fortune, with me getting my rear kicked almost every time.

Well, my other half is a fan of Match Game, PYL, Wheel, J!, Feud, Millionaire, and Weakest Link.  When we were out in Pittsburgh on the way back to her place from the Monroeville Mall, the light had turned red at an intersection before we could get to it, and she uttered out "Stop at a Whammy!"
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

Ian Wallis

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2004, 08:49:41 AM »
My wife likes game shows, but she doesn't share my passion for them.  She watched the season premieres of "Wheel" and "Jeopardy" with me (but she was a bit more interested in the US Open Tennis!!)

She likes "Press Your Luck" and watched GSN with me a lot (that's when we actually HAD it - we don't get it on C-Band satellite anymore).  She also watched the old USA game block back in the '90s, but while I can watch it for hours on end, she'll tire of it after a while.

As for friends, we had people over on New Year's Eve 1999, and I made them watch GSN for the "lasts on the last" marathon they had.  For the most part, they enjoyed it!
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

KrisW73

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2004, 12:07:57 PM »
We watch Lingo, and try to outduel each other.  She's gotten a lot better in 6 months...almost catching me.

Particleman

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2004, 04:01:49 PM »
My wife is very accepting of my love for game shows.  As long as I don't let my software projects get in the way of time we spend together, she's very accepting of it and is even very proud of me.  We love to watch and play along with Match Game and Family Feud, MG being her favorite of the two.  She'll racall some episodes she remembers as a child (she's 6 years older).  Sometimes we might talk about an episode we watched if someone gave a crummy answer and on occasion she'll say, "how's $100,000 Pyramid coming along?

My friends at work will talk about old shows in general.  So games shows come up quite a bit.  My other friends my age--I'm 24--when asked about Family Feud either do a funny Louis Anderson impression or will say "good answer, good answer."

Kevin Prather

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2004, 05:03:08 PM »
My friends are accepting, although they do think I'm a little obsessive. :-P

aaron sica

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2004, 05:49:54 PM »
My girlfriend really doesn't like TV, except for a select few shows ("Monk", "Inu Yasha", among others). She sat and watched MG with me the one evening and enjoyed it. She took a liking to Scoey Mitchlll, or as she refers to him, the "angry black man"....

Triplez47888

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2004, 07:08:53 PM »
I feel like I'm the only one in my whole school whose as obsessed.. well I wouldn't go that far but like Game shows as much as me. And I feel that I'm probably right. But sometimes my friends will play game show related boardgames with me.

tyshaun1

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2004, 07:27:10 PM »
Most of my friends are pretty accepting of my game show habit, they'll even watch a few every now and then, especially PYL. In college I was watching a tape of the show and I could've sworn I had half the dorm in there watching with me. Although some find it odd for a black 6'4" male to be a game show fan. :)
It's actually amazing if you talk to some people how they'll engage about how they used to stay home "sick" and watch game shows back in the day. It's gets sort of nostalgic *sniff* *sniff* ;).  

Tyshaun
« Last Edit: September 07, 2004, 07:28:20 PM by tyshaun1 »

JayC

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2004, 09:14:27 PM »
Who Wants to be a Millionaire and The Price is Right used to be really popular subjects in my school.  We would play the WWTBAM online game in math class occasionally, and we played a math game based on it a couple of times, playing to have no homework.  Not much game show talk nowadays, but some girls in my French class last year made random WWTBAM and Weakest Link references, and my History teacher made a weird Price reference.

Speedy G

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2004, 12:10:14 AM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Sep 7 2004, 01:42 AM\']I was wondering from the other fans here...how do your friends accept your interest in game shows?[/quote]
All it takes is a small cash prize, or some Christmas present that you're not fond of, and you can get ANYBODY to play.  =D

Seriously though, I've put together game show deals for friends and the surrounding residents in my dorm, and I've almost always gotten rave reviews.

It helps that many have a favorite show or two that they remember/watch fondly.  Do you know how many times I've been asked to make a Plinko board of some kind?  That said, I do get confused looks when people see me taping some game or reality show, especially when I'm standing there watching it.
Solar-powered flashlight, hour 4 of the Today show, the Purple Parrots.  *rips open envelope, blows into it*

adamjk

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2004, 09:01:18 AM »
My family thinks it's a bit crazy, though my grandparents do watch Wheel and Jeopardy. My friends don't mind it as much though. My composition class last year in fact, threw a birthday party for me on Bob Barker's 80th birthday. They had pictures of him, the room was decorated. It was really neat.

urbanpreppie05

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2004, 09:56:16 AM »
Most people I know actually have one or two shows they like, usually TPIR and J!. Many people fondly remember PYL tho.
As for my hobby, some find it kinda weird and quirky, some just find it weird. But, as I have said before, as long as game shows aren't the only thing you talk about, then people won't find you as strange.

On that note, we are presenting at the University of Akron, "What's the Big Deal?" a combination of LMAD, TPIR, BTC, and J! All part of the re-vamped Alcohol Awareness week!

(sorry, had to throw a plug in)
insert signature here

ChuckNet

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2004, 07:08:44 PM »
My girlfriend really doesn't like TV, except for a select few shows ("Monk", "Inu Yasha", among others). She sat and watched MG with me the one evening and enjoyed it. She took a liking to Scoey Mitchlll, or as she refers to him, the "angry black man"....

Didn't Billy Joel sing a song about him in the mid-70s? :-D

But I digress...my 1st GF (whose name made my ATGS handle for most of the 8 mos we were together) got into the GSN originals because of me, and my 2nd GF (whom a couple of you met at the GSN Get Schooled Tour in Philly last yr) would watch the occasional show w/me.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

Jay Temple

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2004, 12:57:52 AM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Sep 8 2004, 06:08 PM\'] Didn't Billy Joel sing a song about him in the mid-70s? :-D
 [/quote]
 No, that was Styx.  :-D
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.