Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The so-called 'sophomore jinx'  (Read 3293 times)

Winkfan

The so-called 'sophomore jinx'
« on: September 09, 2004, 08:12:22 PM »
In show biz, there is a term called the 'sophomore jinx.' This means that a performer that hits it big with his/her first effort, may flop with the next one.

Now, have their been any game show hosts who may have gone through this 'jinx' themselves? One of them I could think of is Jim Lange. His first effort as a game show host (The Dating Game) was a long-running smash (eight years); but some of his later shows didn't run as long.

Any others?

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--the 'Adrienne Barbeau of the Big Board!'
In Loving Memory: Dolores "Roxanne" Rosedale (1929-2024) & Peter Marshall (1926-2024)

adamjk

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2004, 08:14:28 PM »
Richard Dawson could fit that category

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2004, 08:23:53 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Sep 9 2004, 08:14 PM\'] Richard Dawson could fit that category [/quote]
 Not really.  Dawson hosted Masquerade Party before Feud.

adamjk

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2004, 08:27:47 PM »
Wasn't aware of that, my mistake

zachhoran

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2004, 08:35:43 PM »
[quote name=\'Winkfan\' date=\'Sep 9 2004, 07:12 PM\']

Now, have their been any game show hosts who may have gone through this 'jinx' themselves? One of them I could think of is Jim Lange. His first effort as a game show host (The Dating Game) was a long-running smash (eight years); but some of his later shows didn't run as long.

Any others?
 [/quote]
 Peter Marshall(Fantasy, All Star Blitz, Yahtzee, etc.) and Art Fleming(1978 J! revival) and Bob Eubanks(Diamond Head, Rhyme and Reason, Trivia Trap, Family Secretc, etc.) would come to mind

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2004, 08:45:29 PM »
Bob Eubanks' second show was "Diamond Head" and that had to be considered less than a success. Art James sorta struck out with "Fractured Phrases," as did the WGMC with "Family Game." "How's Your Mother-In-Law" might be one Win M. should leave off the resume.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

SamJ93

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2004, 09:13:36 PM »
How about Groucho Marx (with "Tell It To Groucho," which aired for 10(?) weeks the season after "You Bet Your Life" ended its run)?

--Sam
« Last Edit: September 09, 2004, 09:38:02 PM by SamJ93 »
It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2004, 09:56:44 PM »
Howzabout Bob Barker?  I'd say THE FAMILY GAME wasn't anywhere close longevitywise to TorC (although he did rebound somewhat with his third full-time hosting gig).

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2004, 05:24:09 AM »
I think Peter Tomarken fits here.  After his 3-year run on PYL, his next show(Bargain Hunters) never materialized as a sucessful show,  Alao, Wipeout in 1988 was a bit better but only for 1 year.  His most recent outing was Paranoia which lasted a few "short" months on ABC Family(formerly the Family Channel).

aaron sica

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2004, 07:13:00 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Sep 10 2004, 05:24 AM\'] I think Peter Tomarken fits here.  After his 3-year run on PYL, his next show(Bargain Hunters) never materialized as a sucessful show,  Alao, Wipeout in 1988 was a bit better but only for 1 year.  His most recent outing was Paranoia which lasted a few "short" months on ABC Family(formerly the Family Channel). [/quote]
 No, Peter Tomarken does NOT fit.

His first show was "Hit Man", and THEN after that was "Press Your Luck". Based on Tammy's definition of "Sophomore Jinx", you are wrong.

uncamark

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2004, 12:09:17 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Sep 9 2004, 08:56 PM\']Howzabout Bob Barker?  I'd say THE FAMILY GAME wasn't anywhere close longevitywise to TorC (although he did rebound somewhat with his third full-time hosting gig).

Doug[/quote]
Actually, "T or C" was Barker's second host gig.  He did a short-lived prime time series called "The End of the Rainbow," replacing Art "You Asked for It" Baker, before Ralph Edwards anointed him for "T or C."

From what I've heard about Barker, "The Family Game" was never a good fit for him, because supposedly he hates kids--unless "T or C" had a stunt involving children, school groups were always placed in the corner of the audience where he rarely visited for contestants during the warmup.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2004, 02:13:52 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Sep 10 2004, 11:09 AM\'] Actually, "T or C" was Barker's second host gig.  He did a short-lived prime time series called "The End of the Rainbow," replacing Art "You Asked for It" Baker, before Ralph Edwards anointed him for "T or C."

From what I've heard about Barker, "The Family Game" was never a good fit for him, because supposedly he hates kids--unless "T or C" had a stunt involving children, school groups were always placed in the corner of the audience where he rarely visited for contestants during the warmup. [/quote]
Interesting.  But was TEOTR a game show (I don't recall seeing it in the EOTVGS--although I could be wrong)?

Now that you mention it, didn't Lange host a show before THE DATING GAME (OH MY WORD or something like that)?

Doug
« Last Edit: September 10, 2004, 02:15:04 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

uncamark

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2004, 02:21:17 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Sep 10 2004, 01:13 PM\'][quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Sep 10 2004, 11:09 AM\'] Actually, "T or C" was Barker's second host gig.  He did a short-lived prime time series called "The End of the Rainbow," replacing Art "You Asked for It" Baker, before Ralph Edwards anointed him for "T or C."

From what I've heard about Barker, "The Family Game" was never a good fit for him, because supposedly he hates kids--unless "T or C" had a stunt involving children, school groups were always placed in the corner of the audience where he rarely visited for contestants during the warmup. [/quote]
Interesting.  But was TEOTR a game show (I don't recall seeing it in the EOTVGS--although I could be wrong)?

Now that you mention it, didn't Lange host a show before THE DATING GAME (OH MY WORD or something like that)?[/quote]
"Take My Word for It," which originated from San Francisco (and started as a local show).  It was revived in the 80s as "Oh My Word"--or vice versa, but those were the two titles.

Lange, of course, was a long time personality on the legendary KSFO in San Francisco, the Northern California branch of Gene Autry's personality/MOR monoliths (along with KMPC in LA, home of Geoff Edwards, Wink Martindale and Gary Owens, among others).  I believe he's still doing morning drive on KABL in the Bay Area.  KSFO is today owned by Disney and is an all-right wing talk station.  It was the former home of Michael Savage, whose home station is now KNEW, owned by our good friends at Clear Channel (as is KABL).